Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Race" for the White House

Default presidential soap opera

LBJ's experience as leader of the Senate involved executive decisions and a whole lot of wheeling and dealing. I hate recommending books but Robert Caro (Master of the Senate) really is indisensible. One could argue - and I certainly would - that LBJ was one of the best equipped candidates who ever ran for president. Reading Robert Caro's description of the Southern oligarchs in the Senate is like reading about something from the Middle Ages.
    It was Johnson's political genius that brought about senate reform. Prior to his arrival the place was a museum. It was thanks to Johnson's careful plotting within the senate that the US no longer has segregation with its myriad petty and vindictive restrictions. Yet that was less than 50 years ago. Within living memory!
    And yet LBJ could be and often was a vindictive swine. He was also in the pockets of the Texas oil industry and spent a lot of time sucking up to the Southerners.
    He was a Shakesperean figure, no doubt. So I would argue that experience is not necessarily a positive indicator of how a presidential candidate will fare in the White House.
    Richard Sutherland

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post

I agree, and I'm far more impressed with Obama, than I am with McCain. The latter has just picked a running mate - an attractive, much younger female, who is a former beauty queen. Problem is, she's relatively unknown in US politics.
    Does anyone else, apart from me, think that Sarah Palin looks like a cross between Nana Mouskouri and Sophia Loren, when they were around her age?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Does anyone else, apart from me, think that Sarah Palin looks like a cross between Nana Mouskouri and Sophia Loren, when they were around her age?
    Spooky but true

True indeed, but I think she looks a lot like President Rosslyn from Battlestar Galactica. Come to think of it, McCain looks a lot like Colonel Tigh...

Bruce H

He was a Shakesperean figure, no doubt.
    MacBeth is too easy, and has the problem of his not having killed his predescesor. Maybe King Lear, eventually standing down and seeing the party devoured by his daughters?

And Nixon could have been Ahab.

Whereas Brown represents the banality of a weevil.

So I would argue that experience is not necessarily a positive indicator of how a presidential candidate will fare in the White House.
    Yupples, and points taken about his Senate years. What stands out, though, about the current offering is that none of them are that inspiring beyond "he's got to be better than the last one", or strike fear into hearts beyond what would happen if someone this dippy got into the White House.

I think she is the spitting image of Tony Soprano's shrink, Dr Jennifer Melfi (played by Lorraine Bracco)

What do you think?

Thank you, Scorrie! It's been bugging me for days! (Although I have in mind Maggie O'Connell from Northern Exposure, as she is now.)

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post

Spooky but true
    Even spookier is her resemblance to American writer/comedienne/actress Tina Fey! Tina starred in this year's comedy film, "Baby Mama". Prior to that, she was head writer for, and later a cast member of "Saturday Night Live". I don't know if that show has been broadcast in Britain or not, but it's famous for its satirical comedy sketches here. I can just imagine Tina doing a perfect parody of Sarah Palin! When I was watching Sarah deliver her speech at the Republican National Convention last night, I kept thinking of the uncanny resemblance. The two women could easily pass for sisters!

Here's a pic of Tina Fey:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/30_R...tina-fey-1.jpg

And one of Sarah Palin :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...5px-Palin1.JPG
    Last edited by Sporran; 05-Sep-08 at 05:34.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholy Man View Post
    Thank you, Scorrie! It's been bugging me for days! (Although I have in mind Maggie O'Connell from Northern Exposure, as she is now.)
    Wow MM never had you down as a Northern Exposure fan!!! That was one of my favourite shows Spooky!!!!.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234