Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'll show you mine, now you show me yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Cowie View Post
    Pepsi nice to see you are using a Tokai Talbo, it has become a very collectable guitar and has risen in value over the last few years mainly due to it's aluminium body. If it's an 80's model it can be worth up to £800 to £1000 depending on condition.
    I have an early 80's Tokai Goldstar (Strat) in pretty much mint condition, it's Fiesta red with a rose wood neck with the Fender style Tokai logo on the headstock, this was made prior to the court case which Fender won forcing Tokai to change their logo. I'm keeping it for my retirement fund but to be honest I will never sell it. I have a few stats but the Tokai sound cannot be matched.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    You're right, Douglas: nothing quite like the sound of a Tokai.
    My first-ever guitar was a Tokai "Breezysound" telecaster, but, being a nipper I didn't fully appreciate its finer qualities, reckoning that its high-end sound was too "tinny" (as I thought aged 14) and annoyed to learn that one of my pals also had a Tokai telecaster - but with a tremolo on it. Neglect and the passage of time saw it lose much of its original appearance, and in the end I got shot of it for £300. Not bad, but not great, either, for a guitar I paid £120 for in 1990.

I doubt you'll appreciate the finer points of New York's multi-layered noise band, Band Of Susans, Douglas, but they're Tokai freaks, as well as fans of G&L guitars.

Check out Mood Swing and Pardon My French here: www.myspace.com/bandofsusans to get a taste of it.
    I've quoted both of your posts as I feel they are relevant.

The Japanese guitar market is in fact, AMAZING. You guys are aware of this, but not many people are for some reason. I put their craftmanship up there, and sometimes above, the USA.

In fact, I am somewhat of a slave to the Japanese guitar market as both of my main guitars were built there. The one pictured above, although it looks like a Gibson, it's not... well... almost. It's an Orville Les Paul. It was built in Japan for the Japanese market under license from Gibson. Orville was used as it was the first name of founder, Orville Gibson. It was made in Japan with the same parts as the USA models but for about a third of the price. They also have a Dove Tail neck joint, which you only get on the Gibson Custom Historic series of guitars, which cost somewhere in the £2000 range. It adds sustain as the neck and body are more into each other. I paid £400 for mine. It's as good/better than any Gibson USA model I've played. I love it. Some of these guitars also came with "Orville by Gibson" on the headstock. They were just basically trying to keep up with Fender at the time.

My other guitar is an Edwards Les Paul Custom. It's made in Japan by ESP for the Japanese as well, but they are again... sneaking out of Asia for much cheapness.

As for the Tokai though, I don't think that Strat is anything to retire on just yet... unless you live mega cheap I've just seen a couple on eBay go for around the £200 mark. Maybe when I retire though... it'd be worth more.

There are plenty of good Japanese guitar manufacturers though... Burny, Orville, Greco, Tokai etc. Some people like to be snobs and MUST have that Gibson or Fender logo on the headstock. Admittedly I can't afford a £1500 guitar, but who cares... I paid a third of the price and I have a guitar which is as good as any Gibson I've played. Besides... Gibson are hit or miss these days.

Keep up with the guitar pictures

You're right, it is very easy to walk into a guitar store and pick out a Fender Strat, or, a Gibson Les Paul. Some guitar stores usually have something slightly left-of-centre hanging on the wall, but just like modern, mainstream musical tastes, it's easier just to take what's accessible and not very difficult to acquire. Anyway...

... yes, I, too, like a lot of Japanese guitars, especially the ones that don't even have a brand name. Zimgar - early Ibanez I think(?) - were a Japanese company based in New York in the 80s. Jon Spencer, of the Blues Explosion, has two of them; my friend, Davey, from Glasgow, has one, too, and they have the fattest low-end sound to a guitar I've ever heard. Genuinely odd-sounding, they look like rusty sewing boards, but play like Genghis Khan.

Once I was lucky enough to meet T-Model Ford (a real bluesman in every sense of the word) and asked him what kind of guitar he had. He said: "I doh no, son. All it says here on the back is Jay-Pan."

Speaking of Tokai, they certainly get a lot of respect in the guitar-playing community. They're genuinely great guitars and I urge anyone who wants to lean away from poke-your-eye-out-shaped guitars and who wants to try something a little more interesting to check them out. You won't be disappointed.

Anyone else own a guitar that's not a Fender, Ibanez or Gibson?

Last edited by The Pepsi Challenge; 01-Sep-08 at 02:23.

"Anyone else own a guitar that's not a Fender, Ibanez or Gibson?" - Pepsi quote.....

I own a veteran; a Chitarrra originale EKO Ranger made in Recanati; acoustic and a beautiful mellow sound. I don't know much about electric guitars but I am enjoying the pictures sent in by fellow orgers. I do have a picture of mine but can't put it on here and anyway, most folks will know what it looks like!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Besides... Gibson are hit or miss these days.
    Very true, I think myself and a couple of mates must have tried about 4 or 5 Gibbos before settling on the one I've got. Some of the others were truly awful to play.

Talking about Japanese guitars, my bandmates have got a couple of Fenix guitars and they are something else to play for the pricetag. Unfortunately the company is no longer but the quality is far superior for a guitar which cost the same as a Squier.

My dad has an old Eko Ranger 5 acoustic aswell with the bolt on neck. The only downside is the Zero fret on it but it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Default Guitars

These are all wicked guitars, ill try and get mine up soon, although are pretty basic in comparison.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Default Japanese guitars

[quote=Jeid;425749]

As for the Tokai though, I don't think that Strat is anything to retire on just yet... unless you live mega cheap I've just seen a couple on eBay go for around the £200 mark. Maybe when I retire though... it'd be worth more.

Jeid have a look at this site; http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/index.htm
    They deal in Tokai, Greco, Orville, Fender Japan, some great guitars for sale at interesting prices.
    As for my Tokai I turned down an offer of £600 a couple of years ago, I think you will find that any model with a pre court case logo is worth a lot more than £200.

This a very good Tokai site if you want to know more; http://www.tokairegistry.com/

I have a great sounding early 80's strat by Fender Japan (Not a Squier) it's 62 reissue, 3 tone sunburst with a rosewood board again these guitars are steadily gaining in value, have a look at this site which has some great Japanese Fenders for sale; http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/index.htm

Douglas, I had a look on eBay and it was the typical Spaghetti Logo Tokai's that were going for £200-£250. Early 80's models like yours. Some people don't know the market however...

I've seen that website before... quite overpriced. I imported both of my guitars and they were a lot cheaper than that. Even with the import taxes and shipping.

If I were to buy a Gibson... I'd certainly be trying it out before I took it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    These are all wicked guitars, ill try and get mine up soon, although are pretty basic in comparison.
    As I have said to the wife time and time again, "its not what you've got its what you do with it!"

I am quite interested in the Japanese guitar market.
    I was looking at some Japanese Fenders before i bought my USA Strat, i think i may have a look for a Japanese Telecaster soon though, an early 90's white one would be nice.........

And of course Jeid saying about the Orville and Edwards, i have done a small amount of research and they seem to be very good guitars indeed.

Definitely better than Mexican built guitars and Korean.

I could actually do with a set up on My Les Paul as well as my Telecatser. know of anyonw who does it (and is good!!!!)?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    I could actually do with a set up on My Les Paul as well as my Telecatser. know of anyonw who does it (and is good!!!!)?
    Do it yourself, man. It's easy-peasy.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setuptut.htm
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by zappster View Post
    heres ma babies

There now, that's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Do it yourself, man. It's easy-peasy.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setuptut.htm
    Tried it once got nowhere, will try again on my cheap telecaster first before I touch my beast(Les paul)!! Cheers for the tip anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    There now, that's better.

Cheers min yer a metal star!!

Default Mines a Bit Different from Yours

Too right it is - seems to be missing two strings, for a start....

Don't think this is restricted to guitars only so i'll stick my kit on it... Unfortunately I don't have a decent shot of it so i'll just use a stage shot...

Premier Artist Series
    24x18 Bass Drum
    13x11 Mid Tom
    16X16 Floor Tom

13x6.5 Premier Modern Classic Maple Snare

All covered in various Evans drum heads.

14" Sabian AAX Stage Hats
    17" Sabian AAX Stage Crash
    19" Zildjian Avedis Medium Crash
    21" Zildjian Z Custom Mega Bell Ride

Good to see bass thumpers and Drummer dudes getting in on the act, the more the merrier!!!!
    (Wonder how many thought it wa going to be some pics of "different" Instruments!! )

Here's a couple of pictures I found of my Edwards Les Paul

Nice inlays

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast