Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: more wind turbines

Default more wind turbines

Having just found out what the new road at thuster under construction is for three new wind turbines,if you look up new road to hill you will see a mast in sky line,this is where turbines are to be .never see or hear about having six wind turbines at bilbster,as anyone more info on when planning was granted,.

thats been going on for weeks . its up setting to see them everywhere . why dont they put them all together . out of sight
    the country side is getting killed off with them
    live life to the full ... you only get one chance

Quote Originally Posted by mr do dar View Post
    thats been going on for weeks . its up setting to see them everywhere . why dont they put them all together . out of sight
    the country side is getting killed off with them
    And put them where? - Windfarms are the ideal solution to our energy needs and after the turbines have served there useful life they can be dismantled.

The more the merrier.....without them none of us will have anything to look at.....we will be gone along with the planet!!

Default Are they suppose to rotate?

I look out at 2 wind turbines at Bilbster... people say there is 3, I say the other object is a statue of one as it has never rotated...

I wonder what the service agreement is, or guarantee even...

Is it me or when the wind blows they should all rotate... is that not the purpose of these things...

Mind you the 2 that do rotate are quite hypnotic... hypnotic... hypnotis...

Angel...
    Angel...
    Angel...

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I look out at 2 wind turbines at Bilbster... people say there is 3, I say the other object is a statue of one as it has never rotated...
    Angel...
    There are 3 and I have witnessed them all rotate. I seem to recall another thread here which explained that not all 3 wind turbines were totally commissioned, yet, ...

Quote Originally Posted by mr do dar View Post
    why dont they put them all together .
    That is a good question. The trouble is, local councillors have rejected planning permission for large windfarms on the grounds of cumulative effects, visual amenity, the list of reasons is endless. One councillor who is set to resign at the next election is quoted as saying Caithness can't accomodate large windfarms. This being one of the most sparsely populated parts of Scotland.

In the light of this political backdrop, future windfarm applications will be less ambitious yet the international renewable energy targets remain the same and thus this will inadvertently serve to keep the pressure on the Renewable Obligation being as lucrative as it is. Bad news for consumers.

The net effect will be that instead of preserving Scotland's landscape, anti-windfarm sentiment will result in smaller and more numerous develoments dotted around the country which will ensure that we can't have any landscape free of a windturbine and we'll have higher energy bills.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 27-Aug-08 at 00:06.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default More wind turbines -- less bats

Study shows windfarms cause their lungs to explode.

http://www.amherstdaily.com/index.cfm?sid=165448&sc=509

Why they dont just add to the cause way ones instead of putting them up anywhere, I suppose if they do that only one capitalist benefits where as this way it gets spread around.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo View Post
    And put them where? - Windfarms are the ideal solution to our energy needs and after the turbines have served there useful life they can be dismantled.
    out of sight out of mind i say
    live life to the full ... you only get one chance

funny think about the new road in construction, is not stopping at where three turbines are to be placed,but new road is going al the way to cause-a mere road,why ? more turbines

If you look at the cwif website map page

http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/page5.htm

you will find the answers to many of your questions.

Margaret - there are news items all over the world suddenly about bat deaths, it's really horrible. 27 links on Google today.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    If you look at the cwif website map page

http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/page5.htm

you will find the answers to many of your questions.

Margaret - there are news items all over the world suddenly about bat deaths, it's really horrible. 27 links on Google today.
    thanks for link badger,now we know where and how many turbines are going up,and who are in the money,

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    That is a good question. The trouble is, local councillors have rejected planning permission for large windfarms on the grounds of cumulative effects, visual amenity, the list of reasons is endless. One councillor who is set to resign at the next election is quoted as saying Caithness can't accomodate large windfarms. This being one of the most sparsely populated parts of Scotland.

In the light of this political backdrop, future windfarm applications will be less ambitious yet the international renewable energy targets remain the same and thus this will inadvertently serve to keep the pressure on the Renewable Obligation being as lucrative as it is. Bad news for consumers.

The net effect will be that instead of preserving Scotland's landscape, anti-windfarm sentiment will result in smaller and more numerous develoments dotted around the country which will ensure that we can't have any landscape free of a windturbine and we'll have higher energy bills.
    Fascinating assessment Reggy. Are Caithness Councillors, or even Highland Councillors responsible for this:

[/url][/IMG]

This is SNH's map of Windfarms in Scotland April 2008
    Red is Installed or Approved, Brown is Application, and Lilac is Scoping. The sites are to scale.
    You can see the whole picture at http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/strategy/...MapApril08.pdf

Just checked, it is already out of date. Westerdale and Halsary have been added and at least one more is in the pipeline in Aberdeenshire.
    Last edited by ywindythesecond; 27-Aug-08 at 21:46. Reason: Factual update.

Just a thought based on no knowledge whatsoever. Given that bats hear high frequency sounds couldn't the turbines be fitted with high frequency speakers to ward them off?

PS Maybe play Bat Out Of Hell on a loop.

Looking more and more a reality....

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Looking more and more a reality....

It's not all bad, they've taken down the Forss windfarm!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcomefamily View Post
    Why they dont just add to the cause way ones instead of putting them up anywhere, I suppose if they do that only one capitalist benefits where as this way it gets spread around.
    Similar fears were being expressed in 1830 about the new Stephenson rocket thingie. Ten years later, 7,000 miles of track in the country; all with capitalist investment.

Communism tried state control a century later in the Industrial Revolutions of East Europe, and look what happened.

Having now looked at the windfarm applications map even I might can get a little negative.
    However I could image 400 turbines in the causeway and none no where else thus keeping the beauty of caithness as we are going to have them anyway. The council should jump on the band wagon to get a yearly % for good causes in caithness.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

have to agree with Welcome family.but common sense to prevail with powers to be is not so common,to put all turbines in the flow country,would have been the best way to go,

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast