Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help to identify fungus?

Default Help to identify fungus?

I have some huge, I mean 3 times the size of a football, mushroom looking fungus in a field near me. They are pretty dense in nettles or else I would have taken a photo of them. They are really white fleshed, in fact they look just like oversized mushrooms you would buy in the supermarket to add to your spag bol!!

Not that I am stupid enough to go picking them but does anyone know, without the photos, what type of mushroom are they?

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/id_guide/index.htm

Try this web site, see if you recognise it.

Colin

Thanks. They are giant puffballs. A whole family of them. They look really weird like a gathering of alien eggs!!

We fried some up year before last - 1/4 of a mushroom and way more mushroom than omlette - tasted good tho. A friend had got them from Janetstown.
    Dave

Sounds like giant puffballs to me.

The River Cottage Guide Book #1 Mushrooms is what I use to identify fungi. Not that I'm any good at it yet!

Found a load of these growing in a wooden tub I planted carrots in - any idea what they are and if they are edible? They are small about 4cm high. I couldn't find them in the link above but that will be due to my ignorance - they are no doubt there somewhere.

Thumbs down

Beware of eating unkown mushrooms, its dangerous

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7593032.stm
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Totally with you on that one. I am not even brave enough to fry up the puffballs. Think I will stick to the button mushrooms from the Co-op!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Found a load of these growing in a wooden tub I planted carrots in - any idea what they are and if they are edible? They are small about 4cm high. I couldn't find them in the link above but that will be due to my ignorance - they are no doubt there somewhere.

They look like they might be from the Marasmius group. Inedible because of their size.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."