Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bain/Bremner

Default Bain/Bremner

Looking for some advice about how to prove a negative. My ancestor John Bremner had one son Alexander born about 1804/5 and then no more children until he married Henrietta Sinclair in 1812. It seems fairly obvious that he was previously married and the first wife died after Alexander's birth. However on Alexander's death certificate Henrietta is named as his mother.

To cut a long story short I think Catherine Bain was his mother. She married a John Brimner in Wick in 1804 and had a son Alexander who was christened the following January. The problem is that I cannot find any evidence of her death - any ideas how I might go about this?

Default Alex bremner b 1804app

Hi
    have you seen:
    http://www.brebner.com/uploads/bre20602.pdf

Have you tried to contact the person who placed this tree on www.brebner.com
    Maybe they will have more info for you.
    Several names on that tree link into my family but I haven't explored that generation.
    Merry Christmas
    Tricia

ps
    the name pattern of Alexander's first born children would indicate a John and Catherine as his parents.
    Tricia

Yes Tricia, I agree. His second daughter is Catherine which fits in perfectly with the normal pattern. I have discussed this with John Brebner who runs the website but he is understandably reluctant to change the records without stronger proof. I do have the marriage cert for John and Henrietta and would have got the one for John and Catherine but they don't give addresses or parent names so it doesn't take the story any further forward. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by marionq
    Looking for some advice about how to prove a negative. My ancestor John Bremner had one son Alexander born about 1804/5 and then no more children until he married Henrietta Sinclair in 1812. It seems fairly obvious that he was previously married and the first wife died after Alexander's birth. However on Alexander's death certificate Henrietta is named as his mother.

To cut a long story short I think Catherine Bain was his mother. She married a John Brimner in Wick in 1804 and had a son Alexander who was christened the following January. The problem is that I cannot find any evidence of her death - any ideas how I might go about this?
    There is a record of four Christenings to parents John Bremner and Catherine
    Bain at the time in Wick.

Alexander chr 23rd Jan 1805
    Janet chr 16 May 1806
    Donald chr 23rd Nov 1807
    John chr 30th Jul 1809

Default bain/bremner

HI, dont know if this will help but my granny was Helen Bremner born 1912 and she married jack bain in the early 1930's my granny had a brother maurice bain
    I have a family tree somewhere dating back to early 1800 which i will look out to see if there are any connections for you
    jac

Fred and Jac, both those postings are interesting. It could be of course that I am completely wrong but the anomaly between the first child Alexander and the gap till after the marriage of Henrietta must mean something. If Fred is right then did Catherine and the other children die of something all at the same time, I wonder?

I will mull this information over. Thanks