Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardener wanted

Do not make the tea until he is finished and make sure he cleans his wellies before you let him in!

Smile garden

Hi Folks
    Saturday&sunday came and gone no word from fran me thinks she does not want her garden done ah well i did offer.

My OH had a similar access problem last year.

At least you tried to do the good citizen Alistair.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by alistair harper View Post
    Hi Folks
    Saturday&sunday came and gone no word from fran me thinks she does not want her garden done ah well i did offer.
    Sorry Alistair, i wasn't on here to read your message as i certainly would have replied. As I said earlier I wouldn't pay £12 per hour for the lsmall amount of work in my garden so i wouldnt pay the £25, sorry,It is only the small bit under the window, no grasscutting and maybe trimming a climbing bush, wouldn;t ake more than an hour.
    I have been given some telephone numbers and will phone them. Hopefully my knee will be better by spring and i will be able to bend my knee and do it myself, thanks to you all for replies.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Just a suggestion .......................................

Do the Scouts still do "Bob a Job"? If so why not wait until then and offer the work ... you can then pay what you consider to be a fair rate for the job.

Hm guess this suggestion is a no no too!

On March 1st 1999 the Independent newspaper reported that bob-a-job week was being abolished because of the threat of abuse.

Sadly a sign of the times we live in.

I am surprised some enterprising person has not started doing one off odd jobs for people.

What about the folks doing Community service? They used to have gardening squads. Might be worth asking social work department.

I got an injection in my knee today from the orthoepedic surgeon . It should last a few months, once it sinks in, and I will be able to bend my knee so I should be able to do it myself.

Thought I would let you know that a VERY NICE MAN CAME AROUND and did my garden, cut down the plants round the front door arch, cut another bush and did some weeding and put it all in the wheelie bin,, and did not charge as much as any of you had suggested. i am very grateful to him. He was here for an hour.
    All I need now is a gardener every now and again to kep it tidy.
    Thank you all for your replies and comments.

Hi Fran,

Hopefully the very nice man will keep in touch and keep your garden tidy for you. Glad you got sorted out eventually.

Hope the knee is improving day by day.

glad to hear you got someone.
    pat on the back to the nice man!
    it's a sair fecht

[quote=Fran;480356]I wouldnt pay £12 an hour for a gardener

Quite right! That is your choice. If your ceiling collapsed because your water tank leaked, you wouldn't get a plumber for less than £25 an hour. If your roof tiles blew off in a gale, you wouldn't get a builder for less than £20 an hour.

So a gardener has no respect in your eyes.

Actually, your post " I wouldn't pay £12 an hour for a gardener" I find disrespectful and insulting.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Oh dear. As I said before, I wasn't looking for a professional gardener, i do not have a massive garden that needs landscaping or hedges to be cut, roses to be pruned etc. In fact I dont even need grass cutting.
    I came on here looking for an odd job gardener, not a proffesional, maybe a pensioner who would have liked £12 for a couple of hours work to weed a small bit of garden under my 2 windows, thats all. i have many friends who pay "gardening men" to weed their gardens and cut the grass for £6 per hour.
    If I wanted a professional gardener I would have looked up the yellow pages and would have had to pay a lot more. Just as I did when i needed a joiner recently.
    I have just noticed your previous thread on here where you say "pay peanuts for a monkey"..many jobs are paid at £6 an hour , even carers, home helps, shop assistants.
    You also state that an experienced qualified gardener would be £12 per hour. I am not looking for a qualified gardener.
    You also say "so a gardener has no respect in your eyes" which i thought was very rude. All workers of all kinds have my respect. You also said my comment about paying £12 for a gardener was disrespectful and insulting. What nonsense. My post was not aimed at you, and you didnt have to read it.
    You are obviously a proffesional gardener and i hope you have lots of jobs, as with your attitude, i certainly wouldnt ask you to do my garden even at £20per hour.
    Last edited by Fran; 07-Feb-09 at 03:04.

i didna know that you would be charged for the petrol for getting there,wonder how my boss would react if i charged him for the shoe leather for getting to work

Fran, you are absolutely right. I was out of order with my previous post, and I apologise.

If you need your garden tidied up, there are many good and reliable people who will do that within your budget. I think I misinterpreted your original enquiry, and for that I apologise.

My regards
    Mike
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12