Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardener wanted

Default Gardener wanted

Looking for a gardener for small wick garden, weeding. £6 per hour
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

HELP.................I'm still looking. Its a small garden, no grass cutting, just a bit of weeding under the window and trim the plant growing all over the front door. I had a man come around to look today aND HE WANTED £60!!!!!

have pm you £60 very steep

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    HELP.................I'm still looking. Its a small garden, no grass cutting, just a bit of weeding under the window and trim the plant growing all over the front door. I had a man come around to look today aND HE WANTED £60!!!!!
    he must have been a ex bank manager,looking for a job

i have been let down again, waiting for weeks for someone who didnt turn up. Urgently needing a gardener now to weed small garden aND TRIM BUSH OVER THE FRONT DOOR.

Personally I don't think that was steep.
    £6 an hour is all well and good but if there's just an hours work there it wouldn't even cover the cost of diesel, plus I assume the hour would start from the moment they're on site? So that makes the £6 for an hours work even worse if they've had a 15 minute journey there and back.
    And what if it only takes 30 minutes? Do you just pay £3? Sorry, but I don't think anyone would be willing to do that.
    The thing is if you pay someone to do this work then you have to take into account their costs that they have to pay out.

I sincerely hope you get the help you need but I have a feeling you may have to increase what you're willing to pay.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Personally I don't think that was steep.
    £6 an hour is all well and good but if there's just an hours work there it wouldn't even cover the cost of diesel, plus I assume the hour would start from the moment they're on site? So that makes the £6 for an hours work even worse if they've had a 15 minute journey there and back.
    And what if it only takes 30 minutes? Do you just pay £3? Sorry, but I don't think anyone would be willing to do that.
    The thing is if you pay someone to do this work then you have to take into account their costs that they have to pay out.

I sincerely hope you get the help you need but I have a feeling you may have to increase what you're willing to pay.
    It was £60 they were asking; I don't know personally how much physical work the job entails and how long it will take.....

I think £6 per hour is fine for an hourly rate but you dont state how many hours. As others have said you have to take into account the travelling etc.
    If you are looking for a gardener on a regular basis it would IMO to state the number of hours expected to work the frequency required.
    If you dont want a regular gardener then you would have to get a one off price and if this is the case £60 may not be unreasonable for a self employed gardener.
    Hope you can resolve your problem soon
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

I think Fran is just wanting someone/anyone to help her to get her small garden into shape and in return she is willing to pay them £6/hr for their time/effort I ead it that she was just looking for someone who can lend a hand
    Last edited by dragonfly; 03-Nov-08 at 15:13. Reason: I sounded harsh!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I think Fran is just wanting someone/anyone to help her to get her small garden into shape and in return she is willing to pay them £6/hr for their time/effort - some of the replies here are quite harsh (well the way I read them they were) for somebody looking for someone who can lend a hand
    If you are refering to my previous post it is not harsh it is offering an explanation for the lack of responce to her posting when people read the posting fran placed it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
    It is meant in the spirit of constructive critisism not harsh. In deed I hope with clarification fran will find someone soon.
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

no Bad Manners and when I read it back I was the one sounding harsh!! the written word is not an easy method to convey meaning. <goes and hunts for a chill pill>
    Last edited by dragonfly; 03-Nov-08 at 15:22.

fran i have pm you

'poppet' has given you a phone number in your request on the recommendations page.
    Hope this one is lucky for you Fran.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

I haven't been around for a while - sorry. The simple fact of life is that you won't get a gardener for £6 per hour. You will get one of those "handymen" who pretend to be able to do anything, and leave you with a worse mess than you had to begin with.

Basically, it is your choice. Pay peanuts for a monkey, or hire expertise. Gardening is a skill, just like a mason or a carpenter. You pay for what you get.

An experienced, qualified gardener will cost you at least £12 an hour plus travelling time, and rightly so. But you will get a proper job done.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Default Gardener Required

Are you still looking for a Gardener?

Poor Fran! You find everything - apart from the one thing you are looking for. I hope you get a gardener soon.

I wouldnt pay £12 an hour for a gardener as I dont want the garden landscaped.!! I would do it myself in an hour if i was fit. It is a very small garden just needs weeding, no grass cutting, and some trimming of a bush, thats all. I tried all summer to get a gardener , and when i finally got one he didnt arrive. I suppose its an odd job man iI'm looking for.

i dinna live in wick, else i would do the blimmin thing masel for nothing, and i amny a gardener.
    jeezo, no neighbourly people there, just to lend a hand????
    it's a sair fecht

Smile weeding

Fran
    I will do it for £25 & cup of tea, on saturday or sunday

pm me if this is ok

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by alistair harper View Post
    Fran
    I will do it for £25 & cup of tea, on saturday or sunday

pm me if this is ok
    Hooray, at last!
    Fran, let us know if he fails to turn up and we'll make his life a misery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast