Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A world gone mad

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    I dislike the use of the word "Gay" by everyone in place of the word " Homosexual " I am of the older generation and the word "Gay" to me has a happier meaning as in the title of the Scottish Country dance "The Gay Gordons", and many other happy uses.
    Here's your chance to educate all us younger folk about THE "Gay Gordon".

Partan

My God, the worlds gone mad right enough! jjc gets more than a little upset at the prejudice shown by christians towards homosexuals but apoligies grovengly to Golach for his more than thinly veiled prejudice towards his fellow man.
    Thankfully, Golach is such a gay chappie that he dosnt take offence.
    Prejudice is prejudice though and it dosnt matter whether its shown by an old mannie from Scrabster Thurso and Edinburgh, or a compassionite christian chappy whose world veiw is formed by the writings of his holy book.

Quote Originally Posted by jjc
    Quote Originally Posted by ©Amethyst
    by the way, got nowt against homosexuals... just them being ordained in the church - homosexuality is not something that the Bible supports
    You can't have it both ways... either you have nothing against homosexuals, or you follow the notion that the Bible sees homosexuality as a sin, and therefore wrong. You cannot believe in both because they are opposing opinions.
    I think you are confusing a person with a sin committed by a person. God says that homosexuality is wrong, that it is a sin and therefore a Christian accepts that. There is no getting around it. The Bible also says we should hate sin. This is of course the same when it comes to other forms of immorality that the Bible speaks of such as adultery and other types of sin for that matter. The point is a Christian hates sin.

God also teaches us to love our neighbour and to be tolerant and not to judge others. Jesus for example showed love to all sorts of people. He loved people but hated the sins they committed. However if after listening to Jesus they wished to accept his teachings they would have had to change their lifestyles, which would involve repentance.

The Bible also teaches that we should worry about the beam/rafter in our own eye, rather than be concerned about the straw/chaff in another’s. In other words, none of us are perfect and we all sin so we should worry about trying to live our own lives to God’s standards instead of criticising/judging others who for one thing may not have any understanding of the Bible's teachings.

Using this and the many other examples in the Bible should help people to gain a balanced view of this. Yes a Christian should hate sin, but he/she should show love to their neighbour. If their neighbour does not follow the Bible’s teachings that is up to them, but it should not make us treat anyone without the respect, compassion or love that we would show to anyone.

As such you can believe that homosexuality is a sin while having nothing against homosexuals.

Dinna be daft Geo!

Your entitled to believe in a loving God who apparently has all the pain and suffering in our world in the palm of his hand, but to say you can seperate homosexuality from the homosexual is as jjc says......not on
    Its a pity the church of England succumbed to the politics of man instead of the spirit of man.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    Dinna be daft Geo!

Your entitled to believe in a loving God who apparently has all the pain and suffering in our world in the palm of his hand, but to say you can seperate homosexuality from the homosexual is as jjc says......not on
    Its a pity the church of England succumbed to the politics of man instead of the spirit of man.
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. Are you honestly saying you have never disagreed with something someone does or did, yet remained a friend, respected the person, or the fact they have their own free will to do whatever it was? Even if you haven't been in that situation, can you see how it is possible?

Whatever, I'm not going to get involved in an endless debate over it but it is possible, I see it all the time. If you haven't seen it, that does not make it untrue.

My God, the worlds gone mad right enough! jjc gets more than a little upset at the prejudice shown by christians towards homosexuals but apoligies grovengly to Golach for his more than thinly veiled prejudice towards his fellow man.
    Thankfully, Golach is such a gay chappie that he dosnt take offence.
    Prejudice is prejudice though and it dosnt matter whether its shown by an old mannie from Scrabster Thurso and Edinburgh, or a compassionite christian chappy whose world veiw is formed by the writings of his holy book.
    Gleeber,
    I would not say I was predudiced aginst my fellow man, in any way, as you insinuate that I am.
    In my reply to JJC all I said was I did not like the use of the word "Gay" to mean homosexual, this was to generate another view to the general debate.
    I also stated that I was an Agnostic, so I am not a Christian, nor am I a Muslim, nor a Buddist or a follower of any of the main stream religions, but in my opinion I dont have to be one of the Christian faith to be compassionate. And I am I consider, to be as compassionate as you Gleeber and may be more so because my opinions are not blinkered by that mythical word "Religion"
    Golach

Default Maybe

Geo says im wrong......maybe hes right.
    Golach says he may be more compassionite than me......maybe hes right.
    I say Geo and Golach are prejudiced against homosexuals.......maybe im right.

Gleeber
    maybe's Aye.....maybe's No
    Golach

Default Gay God

I read an interesting book reveiw in the Herald today. The book is called The Man Jesus Loved by Theodore W Jennings and is published by the Pilgrem Press at £17.20.
    Jennings is professor of biblical and constructive theology at the Chicago Theological Seminary and has studdied the gospel of John from a gay affirmitive point of veiw paying close attention to Jesus's relationship with John, the "disciple whom he loved"
    Hmmmmmmm

Default Re: Gay God

I read an interesting book reveiw in the Herald today. The book is called The Man Jesus Loved by Theodore W Jennings and is published by the Pilgrem Press at £17.20.
    Jennings is professor of biblical and constructive theology at the Chicago Theological Seminary and has studdied the gospel of John from a gay affirmitive point of veiw paying close attention to Jesus's relationship with John, the "disciple whom he loved"
    Hmmmmmmm
    Are you implying that Jesus was a homosexual? Interesting concept...would His teachings as a spiritual leader be considered invalid simply because He was gay?

My own feeling on the subject is that His teachings would hold the same value to me whether Jesus himself was gay or straight. It was what He said and taught, and the person that He was, that was important, not who He fancied. Which leads to the point (which I believe was the crux of this thread) that if Jesus' sexuality is not important to his value as a spiritual leader, why would the sexuality of my minister be any different?

Cheers,
    Tristan

Hi Tristan,
    Nope, i didnt imply Jesus was gay. Someones sexuality is of no consequence to me as long as their desires are kept within the law of the land, hetro, homo or bi are all the same on the inside where it really matters. Your post was a very human response and puts the bible thumpers to shame. Our only difference would be your use of capitals when referring to Jesus as He and His.

The P&J reported yesterday that Wick Church of Scotland minister Rev. Bill Wallace sent an open letter to the Kirks moderator Professor Iain Torrence asking him to clarify his position on the ordination of gay ministers. Apparently Prof. Torrence is open to the idea and would be prepared to appoint an openly gay minister.

Rev. Wallace said his letter was prompted after visiting one of the most "progressive congregations" in the area and people there had expressed considerable concern about the idea of gay ministers.
    I wondered what was a "progressive congregation"? Apart from discriminating on the grounds of sexuality, what other illuminating factors do they embrace?

This is not an issue purely for christians because the values of the church permeates all of society and in ideal circumstances i would say thats great, but when discrimination and prejudice is allowed to fester within its very walls, what hope for the rest of us?

The Episcopal church I attend is considered progressive, and even called wildly radical because it offers "open hospitality" at the communion table. That means that every single person, regardless of religion, if any at all, is welcome to take the sacraments. It's been amazing to hear comments about how only baptized Christians "qualify", but the archbishop asks whether Christ himself would have refused anyone who wanted to partake. Interesting how the church forgot that for hundreds of years..

Default Re: Maybe

Geo says im wrong......maybe hes right.
    Golach says he may be more compassionite than me......maybe hes right.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I had hoped I'd made it quite clear that I wasn't. Anyway this will just go round in circles and will be a pointless debate. I know I am not prejudiced against homosexuals and I hope my comments have shown that.

That's the second time you have apoligised to me because you think i got it wrong Geo.
    Do you think your original posting on here could be seen as insulting to a homosexual?
    If so, apoligise to them.
    If not, then your discriminating against people on grounds of sexuality because of your own high moral rightness.

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I had hoped I'd made it quite clear that I wasn't. Anyway this will just go round in circles and will be a pointless debate. I know I am not prejudiced against homosexuals and I hope my comments have shown that.
    As such you can believe that homosexuality is a sin while having nothing against homosexuals
    My dictionary defines 'Sin' as 'Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong'.

I'm not sure how you can say that homosexuality is shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong, and yet say you have nothing against homosexuals???

Quote Originally Posted by jjc
    As such you can believe that homosexuality is a sin while having nothing against homosexuals
    My dictionary defines 'Sin' as 'Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong'.

I'm not sure how you can say that homosexuality is shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong, and yet say you have nothing against homosexuals???
    Disagreeing with someone over anything does not mean you have anything against the person. It means you have a differing view.

Anyway that is my last word on it. I don't see how I can make it any clearer so there's no point going on and on about it.

That's the second time you have apoligised to me because you think i got it wrong Geo.
    Do you think your original posting on here could be seen as insulting to a homosexual?
    If so, apoligise to them.
    If not, then your discriminating against people on grounds of sexuality because of your own high moral rightness.
    I had hoped I'd finished with this thread....

I make no apologies for accepting the Bible's view on this however if I insulted anyone I apologise, as that was not my intent.

As I previously explained I have nothing against anyone with differing views on mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12