Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: steam bending wood

router Guest

Default steam bending wood

does anyone have any experience of steam bending wood,tried it today.built a steam box and gave the wood about 2hrs,the wood is 1/2" by 3" temp was 100c all the time it was in.from what i have read a lot is down to experiment to get times and temp right but don't have the time or wood to spend on it .
    looking for some pointers.

It all depends on the type of wood as each species has a diferent structure, some bend easier than others. Beech is a very good wood for bending.
    then you have to get the timing right and when you bend it has to be done quite quickly and be clamped up before it loses its heat and flexibility.
    hope this is of some help

This link will give you a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/...erbending.html

router Guest

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    This link will give you a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/...erbending.html
    thanks,though i have read this one along with loads others,i will have to keep at it as it seems that it is down to trial and error over wood type thickness time etc.will keep trying though

Default Steam Box

'Router' - Can you tell me how you made up your box? I would be very interested in carrying out something like that myself?

Ta - Ski
    Dont work too hard - its bad for your health

router Guest

i just built a simple 4ft oblong box with 1/2 inch thick planks.closed of at one end,the other end has a hinged lid which screws shut with a hole in it to take the pipe from a wallpaper stripper.i put blocks at each end on the bottom(inside)to support the wood.it doesn't have to be totally sealed as you want the steam to flow through the box,i put a small whole at opposite end end of inlet to allow for this.though i found that this wasn't long enough for the peice i was trying to do,i needed wood about 6 foot to allow for leverage in bending cos although the steam softens the wood it is still pretty tight to bend unless you have arms like Arnie
    Last edited by router; 13-Sep-08 at 12:19.