Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: ster? Any connection?

Anonymous Guest

Default ster? Any connection?

I am sure I am not alone in being mistaken for Irish. Many people think the Caithness accent is Irish, was looking at a map the other day and the number of places with the suffix STER seemed to stand out, Scrabster, Lybster, Bilbster, Ulbster, Haster etc etc. Now I know there are counites in Ireland called Ulster, Munster etc I take it that the ster comes from Nordic or something (anyone elaborate?) . So then I thought, thats it, that why eveyone thinks we are Irish, then looked furhter down the map and found Manchester, Winchester.....

There is some connection to place names in Caithness ending in STER. Not sure if it is something to do with cairns. I did read it a while ago in the local paper and i'm sure i've read about it on this website aswell.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Default ster

I understand that the "ster" suffix common in Northern Scotland and the North Isles is derived from a Norse word meaning "homestead" or "dwelling place".

The suffix "chester" derives from the Latin "castra" for fortification ("castle" is derived from the same Latin root).

Anonymous Guest

Cheers Partan.