Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: House Plants.....

Default House Plants.....

What do you do with house plants that get too tall for the house? I have one that I don't want to just throw out but I have run out of room for it....... Any ideas?

That would depend on what type of houseplant it is. Many can survive outdoors in shady, windfree area, like a patio or conservatory.
    more info on it would help with answers.

Hi Justine, thanks for your reply!

It's a Dracaena marginata (Madagascar Dragon Tree). It is a super looking thing with a double stem. Sadly it has now reached the roof (8 ft) and has nowhere else to go........

hi. looks like you got a big problem here. It likes warm temperatures, will tolerate dry soil., but will rot if too wet. It can reach atleast 2-5m in height, which yours should be in the middle. Best see if yu could donate it to an office, or find a bigger room. Beautiful plants, i have 2 smaller ones.

Well if anyone has a big room and is willing to give it a good home they are welcome to it. I have had it for years and would hate for it to end up being dumped just because it has gotten too tall........

Would it not sit near the bottom of the stairs, I know I have nearly double height ceilings from the bottom of the stairs

Got this from googling:-
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_p...382837,00.html
    Last edited by changilass; 04-Aug-08 at 22:36.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

No it's not possible to get it near the stairs with the way they are designed. I have run out of room options! Read the googled thread with interest though ~ thanks for posting it! Years ago I had a Yucca that got too big so we just sawed it in half and stuck the bit with leaves in a pot! A bit brutal perhaps but it is still going strong

lol did same with a yukka thats what made me think to google it lol good luck
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.