Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Musical Memory Lane

Default Musical Memory Lane

The recent post about Silver has brought the bands of my youth to the frontal lobe of my memory. Anyone else remember these folks, and where are they now?

The Debonaires
    The Rhythm Four
    The Coasters
    The Newmen
    The New Country Sound (used to come from Dingwall to play Viewfirth on a Friday night and the Dounreay Club in Wick on the Saturday!)

The Dynamos Showband was fronted by Heather Mackay from Helmsdale and travelled nationwide.

Get those thinking caps on folks and waltz down memory lane.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    The recent post about Silver has brought the bands of my youth to the frontal lobe of my memory. Anyone else remember these folks, and where are they now?

The Debonaires
    The Rhythm Four
    The Coasters
    The Newmen
    The New Country Sound (used to come from Dingwall to play Viewfirth on a Friday night and the Dounreay Club in Wick on the Saturday!)

The Dynamos Showband was fronted by Heather Mackay from Helmsdale and travelled nationwide.

Get those thinking caps on folks and waltz down memory lane.
    Some of these bands are before my time but if you open this link
    http://www.iprom.co.uk/archives/index.htm
    (Caithness- Northlands Rock ) you will get a real treat as this is a great documentary of caithness bands ( as mentioned by you )..go to section 3
    The earliest band here( I think ) were the Rythmn 4 who at the time ( early 60's ) had a great line up, The New Men ( date from around 1971/72 = Willie Byrne ( bass / voc ) Neil Macconanchie guitar / voc and Stanley Macnab Drums / voc. the Coasters also once appeared on TV. Gleber 2 would be the one to fill in all the gaps for you here.

Thanks for the link, Rob, it all made for a good read.

Sadly some of the great performers I remember are no longer with us. Willie Burns for instance a brilliant yodeller also Andrew Sinclair who played keyboards with the Rhythm Four and went on to duo with Louise whom he married.

Denis Manson is still around and playing having survived major heart surgery

Hope to have more gaps filled in soon.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Much less draughty with the gaps filled in

Seriously ... hope you find what you are looking for, I have one more bit of info to find off my last list. Mind you am having NO luck, no one seems to have heard of Noel Brady
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Thanks for the link, Rob, it all made for a good read.

Sadly some of the great performers I remember are no longer with us. Willie Burns for instance a brilliant yodeller also Andrew Sinclair who played keyboards with the Rhythm Four and went on to duo with Louise whom he married.

Denis Manson is still around and playing having survived major heart surgery

Hope to have more gaps filled in soon.
    Andrew used to play with The Casuals along with Malcolm Cook and Michael yellop, they were on the go from about 1967ish, he then played with Impact for years and then with Them and Us mid 80's early 90's, me and my brother played in this band alonside Louise. Willie was, in my eyes, one of the best bass players in the county and a great crack as well.

British standard and Koda.....Can't think, need more alcohol....

My earliest musical memories are of my Dad taking me to see The Marlettes playing in the Mercury Motor Inn in Wick in the early-to-mid 1970s. I must have been about 5 or 6yo at the time, and came away amazed at the sounds people could make with musical instruments. All that noise from just two people playing a guitar and keyboards!

That was followed soon after by a trip to Thurso High School to see The Corries.

And that was me, hooked on music.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I have two musical memories of Caithness having just moved up from Glasgow in August 1985 to start my first job.

The first was at the old Weigh Inn Motel, Thurso to see the local Jazz (blues) club that met there once a month for many years. My first live experience of jazz. I met John Sutherland, Stewart Watson, Derek Mosedale, Graham Fulton & Andy Anderson amounst many others that evening. I even ended up playing at one point!! These connections led to many a musical adventure (that still goes on to this very day).

My second memory was to see heavy rock band Z-Rox play in the Shielling Bar, Thurso. I remember being impressed by the full package - Loud, big PA system, stage lighting, smoke machine, pyro, FOH PA & lighting engineers, backdrop, bass drum logo etc. etc. The band had all the moves down to a tea with James Sutherland leading the way on vocals, Sandy Christie - Drums, Gordon McIntosh - Bass, David Craig - lead guitar, the rhythm guitar I don't recall. One distinct feature of the venue/gig was the poor floor supports which meant when the crowd got going the whole PA and lighting stands started to sway to and fro (quite alarming at the time - just like the upper circle at the Apollo in Glasgow during an Iron Maiden gig!!).

Most enjoyable stuff.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    British standard and Koda.....Can't think, need more alcohol....
    Remember them well TBH your showing you age here. Remember them at Live aid in Wick hangar,with Koda playing Ac/dc covers with stu shearer on Vocals, marriet on guitar but cant remember the rest!!! Need less alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Remember them well TBH your showing you age here. Remember them at Live aid in Wick hangar,with Koda playing Ac/dc covers with stu shearer on Vocals, marriet on guitar but cant remember the rest!!! Need less alcohol
    Colin Matheson lead guoitar, Johnny Gunn Bass and Andy Webster drums