Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Monday Meeting

I totally support uppie on this 100%. Reinstating the bandstand would not only be a tremendously positive move forward, it would provide a focal point, actively encourage community spirit (aye, remember that stuff?), and would reinstate a certain historical part of Thurso that was treasured by so many of its denizens. (Note: The Bandstand was torn down by Thurso Council as an "improvement." Yeah, right, like, whatever, man...)

Still not convinced? Take a look at the Ross Bandstand, in Edinburgh - it's used all year round for a variety of purposes. It presents a unique atmosphere all of its own, has a stunning backdrop (just like the one uppie mentioned), and has all the best bands (Blondie, Franz Ferdinand, The Proclaimers etc.) wanting to use it. In fact, Franz are campaigning to retain and renovate a small local bandstand in a suburb of Glasgow. They see sense in such things too, and they haven't put much of a foot wrong lately.

I'm all for the bandstand - even a new one - being put back in place in Sir John's Square: it's rightful home. Try telling that, though, to the guidedogs whose masters blow a lot of how air round the local council offices. I won't be holding my breath.

There was a band stand set up in WIck perpendicular to JD Weatherspoons - the times I was down the street on a saturday afternoon this summer yes there were often bands there but the timid caithness public often found it difficult to stand and watch from directly in front of the stand, instead opting to sit outside of the crown, or by Woolies.

I agree with whoever said the band stand is a luxury item considering many young bands don't have access to big decent PA systems so utilising a Blue Monday one would be awesome..

Uppiebalad Guest

The bandstand location at Sir John's Square is ideal in many respects. A few years back a study was carried out by my friends at CFT which looked particularly at safety aspects around the square as well as the running of a petition which has a broad cross section of ages on it. School kids who never knew of such a thing all the way up to Lady Thurso signed it.
    The college did a gig there a few years back and this was filmed by CFT as reference for how the public would use the space during a gig.
    The findings were very posative. Note this was a sunny summer afternoon but it was a Sunday.
    A: Health and safety issues raised against the proposal by Thurso Community Council proved unfounded.

B: Public movement was mostly towards the enclosed area of the square. Very few remained on the path around the railings outside the square.

C: The average length of stay by the public was 40 minutes from a 3 hour session.

D: The static audience at any given time was between 50 to 60 people.

E: The audience sat at closest a mere 10ft from the bands. People also made use of the seats on the upper terraces.

Overal the nature of the square as a raised terraced enclosure in the centre of town presents a natural platform for performance. The ground in the square is dry and firm and there is a suitable mains supply for pa systems (see that big metal box to the left as you go in the bottom gate- it doesn't just control the street lights) for public performance in the square. Even the raised flower bed on the remains of the old bandstand has a mains supply. That's part of why the idea was motioned by Cinema For Thurso Group 7 or 8 years ago. CFT have just recently mentioned to the organisers of the Hogmany Street party that a bandstand would be an ideal destination for the proceeds.
    With Blue Monday and it's hoped for new PA (make it bigger than your likely to need just in case you need it to be) and a parmanent bandstand in Sir John's Square there would be an excellent oportunity to develope a mainstream cultural focus not just on music but other performing arts. Make no bones if you go for it this has to be about more than just the interests of musicians, it has to be for all manner of live performing arts. Once you have that in your proposal money will be available through grants. You have to think bigger than you want to get what you need and you need a bandstand as well as a PA system.

Just a thought- don't go trying this but you know how Thurso cemetary has those terraces in the oldest bit. If the band were on the bottom terrace you could put the audience on all the other platforms and have an arena gig. Don't worry about the neigbours, they're dead to the world! (sick yes, but you know it's funny)
    Last edited by Uppiebalad; 20-Dec-05 at 20:49.

i couldnt make the meeting at the pentland, had to look after my brother, but do you have to go to the first meeting to go to the second? like would i be able to go to the meeting in january? even thugh i didnt make the first meeting?

Its open to everyone nutty, there will be a post on here to remind you nearer the time and you can come along. Gimme a shout if you go and you can come with me if you wanna?

jalna Guest

Wee problem with Sir John's Square, Brilliant venue right enough but the majority of it is a public highway. Okay for special occasions but you can't expect the city fathers (local councillors and police) to be willing to have the roads closed on a regular basis for anything more than about an hour at a time. A good concert needs to be a decent length of time.

Thurso and Wick and many of the towns and villages have good pubic areas, like the fields at Veiwfirth (how long before they disappear), the football pitches and loads of other outside venues that a concert could be organised in. A decent custom made (not temporary builders scaffolding) bandstand that could be erected anywhere and stored until needed and a good PA system to go with it. This could be made available to promoters and bands in the county.

To get that you need a committee with a constitution and charitable status would be an advantage. Then you need a good fundraiser who will access all the grant bodies and funders in the county, the region and the country.
    You need to have a plan that explains what you are aiming for and why you think that what you want will benefit the county culturally and economically and personally I think it would.
    You have to prove that all forms of Arts in this case Music want this to happen and that in doing it you will not only improve the Music Scene (All sorts) in Caithness for the local community but you will also be able to encourage outside artists to consider Caithness the Place to come to.

Sorry get carried away some times.

Caithness has been floating too long. It needs to make itself the (sorry for the cliché) the 'In Place to Be'.

im not going to be able to make the meeting guys due to work, ugh

ive already told some of the guys, so if you could make my apologies for me

thanks
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

oh yeah, a reminder, the meetings tonight, 7:30 at the youth club
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Default What happened

Just wanted to know what went down at the Blue Monday AGM??
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12