Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Monday Meeting

Default Blue Monday Meeting

Hey,

Ok where to start, we had the meeting earlier this evening in the Pentland hotel (no smoking room, DAMMIT)

Good points where put across, mainly about how to expand the music scene, expand on the ERC concerts, expand on events and where they can be held,

all in all, we talked about making things big, lots of good ideas

and getting a PROPER PA system (which is a big WIN in my books)

i could get into detail, but thats it in a nut shell,

next meeting is on January the 11th at the youth club (once again a no smoking venue AARRGGHH)

cheers

Uppiebalad Guest

and getting a PROPER PA system (which is a big WIN in my books)

That sound's like a good idea and it would be appropriate for Blue Monday to set up as a charitable company (if not already) with full inclusion poilicy, child protection policy (essential) and the rest. Then it would be in a position to apply for grants from the Scottish Arts Council (although you won't have much longer to do so- changes are coming), Lottery Arts funding, Awards For All, Highland Council, Highland Year Of Culture, CASE and a host of other arts funding sources to pay for the PA system that can then be used as a community resource.

Hows' about putting a bandstand back in Sir John's Square?

i could get into detail, but thats it in a nut shell,

Any chance of getting a bit more of the nut?
    Obviously no dicissions will have been made as to the groups' future policies but what about office barers, committee members, who came on board and who left in disgust? (speculating) More please!

The committee members, as of yet have not been finalised

Lottery Arts funding, Awards For All, Highland Council, Highland Year Of Culture, CASE and a host of other arts funding sources to pay for the PA system that can then be used as a community resource.

yeah, apologies for not mentioning this, but these were also discussed, well the lottery and Case aspect, i do believe

in attendance were: (apologies if i miss spell any names, my spelling & Grammer sucks)

Myself (obviously)

James Sutherland

Both Ian Sinclairs

Darren and Kevin Macload (dammit, how do you spell it, ive had a blank)

Ellen Allan & Shona Macdonald

Stuart Maitland

Jamie Reid (Jeid)

as for who came on board and left in disgust, thats not for me to say,

but as far as i know no one left in disgust, i left with ideas, as im sure everyone did

Why weren't you at the meeting, Uppie? I thought you, of all people, a perennial thorn in the side of artistic bueraucracy, would be down there waving the flag for us all. No? Set up a weblink next time, Blue Monday'ers, and I'll throw my weight behind it. Aye, all 11 stone of it, too. Glad to see it went ahead, and that something positive, anything, might come from it. Awrabest!

Hopefully it takes off in a big way this time, hopefully

Uppiebalad Guest

Well you know as I'm in London, it's not easy getting about to the Pentland.
    As the thorn in the side I know from the list of names above whom I wouldn't want there but it wouldn't be prudant or professional to say directly (or indirectly- so don't ask). However I feel certain that although there would have been a posative vibe about the meeting, later meetings may reveal a negative aspect which may inhibit the groups activities to the detrement of music in Caithness. The parents aren't always the right people to bring up their children!
    It is down to all the musicians of Caithness who want things to improve to prove me wrong and I really do hope you will.
    Sorry for not being very posative here but alas that is the scenario that presents itself to my viewpoint.

That is your viewpoint, and thats fine,

In life differant people want differant things,

Whatever comes from this hopefully will once again breath life into what so many people seem to see as a dieing music scene

Let bygones be bygones, uppie. Stand taller than them - they're on an equal playing surface. I'm not a fan of the eye-for-an-eye foundation - it leaves everyone truly blind and crawling in the shadows.

Uppiebalad Guest

I am standing taller, that's why I work in London. There's no grudge, it's just an opinion- things the way I see them whether regarded as blinkered or otherwise. You'll see where I'm coming from as time passes.

standing taller?!?!?!?!?!?, what are you guys talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Uppiebalad
    I am standing taller, that's why I work in London.
    I don't understand this comment. What are you implying?

what happened at the pentland? whats the word? i tried to go then got stuck looking after family. total unfair!

Uppiebalad Guest

Will there be an article in tomorrows' Groat, perhaps that will shed some more light on this thing. It would be really helpful if the interested public could get to know what happened especially for myself and Nutty who weren't able to be there.

There will not be an article in the paper tomorrow Uppy. Last nights meeting turned out to be an EGM rather than an AGM. This was because the group had not had a meeting within 18 months therefore making there constitution useless.

Last night it was pretty much decided that something does need to be done for the Thurso musical community and an official AGM will be held on the 11th of January to choose office bearers and decide on a direction for the group to aim towards.

There will be notices in the paper and posts on Caithness.Org nearer the time of the AGM so anyone interested can come along.

Cheers,
    Darren

Uppiebalad Guest

Thank you Darren. Now the situation is clear. There was an outcome from the meeting and as a result actions will be carried forward. This may be progress.

Uppie, you seem to be really interested in setting up a scene, how about you try making it along?

You seem to be all talk, but not willing to take any action. You live in London, but there's plenty of notice given here. Come up.

You seem to be able to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk

OK Uppie, what darren said, i do believe i clarified

once again, you single me out

like jeid said, rather than talk the talk, come up and walk the walk

Proper PA and being listed as a Charity would be awesome. However is the bandstand really necessary? Surely pubs across caithness can supply venues easily?

(note I am new to all this but offering my 5 cents regardless)

I reckon the bandstand idea would be ace. It gives people the choice of environment they can enjoy performances in. Also gives the possibility of bigger gigs through the summer but space might make that impossible for that area of town.

I'm glad to see that everything has started movng and hope it works out well for everyone involved

Uppiebalad Guest

Well yes I think the Bandstand idea would be something of a luxury item on the shopping list but lets look at the variety of music in Thurso.
    Thurso Pipe Band, Thurso Accordian & Fiddle Club, Thurso & Dounreay Strathspey & Reel Society (mouthful), Caithness Orchestra, Caithness Big Band, Pentland Brass Band, Salvation Army Band, various Folk musicians and a good many other bands.

Additionally Sir John's Square is used for Thurso Gala, Christmas Lighting & Fun Day and this year a Hogmany Celebration.

Next time your crossing the bridge into town take a good look at what is facing you. The bridge onto Sir Georges Street and Sir John' Square with St Peter's Church as backdrop, is a space with huge potential for public performance.

Sure there are plenty of good venues but what about Saturday afternoons and summer evenings. live music in public spaces often creates a very posative aspect within a town. What better way to create a vibrant music scene than a serries of concerts and gigs throughout the summer months and tourist season. The Pipe band are out every summer so let's think about it.
    There was a bandstand in Sir John's Square for many years from around the early 1900s to 1975. I remember it there as a schoolboy although it was the tourist info quiosk by then. The stone plinth of the bandstand remains in the square, you know the raised octagonal flower bed at the Prince's Street end?

As for me doing anything for Thurso, I'm doing my bit from my end but what you need to realise is something in yourselves. You live in Thurso, in Caithness, it is your place and it will only be what you make it to be. If you want things to improve or you want a new fasility you have to make the noise, bang the drums and all the rest. You can sing so use your voice. Don't sit waiting for anyone else to take the initiative.

Your own local film group were the ones who campaigned for many years to bring cinema back to Thurso and they were ultimately successful twice in their aims. It's not going to be an overnight process.

So yes, make good PA systems your first priority, there's no point playing a tune if it can't be heard, but do consider a bandstand because it wouldn't just benefit you, it would boost the cultural quality of life for everyone in the area. (and besides you could get a maximum crowd of 5000 into the Sir John's Sqare viewable area)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast