Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: racist org

Quote Originally Posted by whitechina View Post
    Just noticed this thread ,and I agree with with what sweatpea says.I will say that from my own observations that the "downers on people" seem to come from the same few culprits.
    I think it's time that orgers were required to have their actual names appear on their postings rather than their being able to sling mud from behind a pseudonym believe if such an idea was enforced it would greatly reduce,if not eliminate,offensive postings on the org.
    What do you all think?

I belong to another message board where everyone uses their real names (it's been this way for years) and although there are spats for the most part it's one of the most close knit on-line communities I've come across, with members from all over the world. I do think some people hide behind their Internet anonymity and say things they'd never utter if people knew who they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    I belong to another message board where everyone uses their real names (it's been this way for years) and although there are spats for the most part it's one of the most close knit on-line communities I've come across, with members from all over the world. I do think some people hide behind their Internet anonymity and say things they'd never utter if people knew who they were.
    Aye, and there's the rub. I'll wager that the forum you are talking about doesn't have the majority of members living cheek by jowl with each other.

Anonymity means that anyone can post on here without being called to account out in the real world. Remember, Caithness is a very small community.

I would vehemently oppose any attempt to make .Orgers reveal their true identity.
    There has already been one nasty incident where someone was challenged in the 'real world' over an incident on the .Org...not very pleasant at all.

I couldn't give a monkeys who knows my real name, there's a few .Orgers who know who I am anyway. But if I was told I had to put my real name online or lose my right to post - I'd walk.

As a tester, Sandra and Whitechina, perhaps you'd like to post your full names and addresses on here as a an example to us all.
    Last edited by northener; 31-Jul-08 at 21:12. Reason: added text

Default racist org

I totally agree with Northener on this point we are in cyberspace after all there are certain people who know who I am and others that have worked it out for themselves I have made new friends and linked up with some Old ones on the org forum some people I have met and others I hope soon
    Its nice to be nice

I disagree, personally as the name suggests this is Caithness. I don't want to come on her and read about nazis, siks wearing bangles and crap like that. Can all the caithness nazis, muslims and siks come on and tell us what you think?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I disagree, personally as the name suggests this is Caithness. I don't want to come on her and read about nazis, siks wearing bangles and crap like that. Can all the caithness nazis, muslims and siks come on and tell us what you think?
    Are you suggesting these issues don't affect Caithness?

I have no intention of using my real name on here or any other site and would not be a member of any site that demanded it. As has already been said, Caithness is a small community, those who I want to know my details already do so.

With regards to not discussing anything that happens outwith the county - well thats just plain bliddy stupid.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A lot of the bike forums I contribute to I speak to guys in Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff and lots of major cities and I've never encountered anything to do with religion or creed like this, if someone on thse is being a p.... they don't care what colour or idol they follow.
    The sub-culture of motor-cycling is fairly homogenous (apart from the machinery) would you not agree? I presume you are talking about motor 'bikes' here.
    From that standpoint , and given the fact that almost every bike rally and event (and there were hundreds in the 90's) was dominated by indigenous British folk they have every reason to be sanguine about their ongoing sub-culture and little need to discuss 'religion or creed' which are surely one in the same thing?

Perhaps the intervening years have seen as much change within the motor-cycling sub-culture as the rest of society but I somehow doubt it.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 31-Jul-08 at 22:39.

So are you suggesting sweetpea that members like myself who live outwith the county should promptly resign our membership?
    I have been visiting the county for over 25yrs and often three or four times a year.Over that period I have grown to love the county ,made many friends and acquaintances and obviously take a keen interest in what is happening in the far north.

Default meaty matters

Might I also add sweetpea that if you do not wish to read threads about 'Nazis, Sikhs and Bangles' (there could be a movie in there - a short one p'raps) that you just skip those threads and leave them to those with an appetite for such meaty matters. In return I'll not impose myself on threads about early closing, lost dogs, or ignorant shop staff in Wick etc.

It was my understanding that the site was aimed at locals and outsiders alike.
    My Caithness connection is vague I admit...even tenuous...I've been twice and might like to live there one day...so I'm trying to build a circle of friends...it's not going particularly well it has to be said.

To whoever suggested using real names...do me a favour...there are a lot of nutters out there you know...
    ....and a few you might not. (the latter are probably the ones we need to worry aboot)

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    ...so I'm trying to build a circle of friends...it's not going particularly well it has to be said.
    no matter our differences percy I would happily buy you a drink
    B’ fheàrr a bhith sàmhach na droch dhàn a ghabhail

The sub-culture of motor-cycling is fairly homogenous (apart from the machinery) would you not agree? I presume you are talking about motor 'bikes' here.
    From that standpoint , and given the fact that almost every bike rally and even (and there were hundreds in the 90's) was dominated by indigenous British folk they have every reason to be sanguine about their ongoing sub-culture and little need to discuss 'religion or creed' which are surely one in the same thing?

Perhaps the intervening years have seen as much change within the motor-cycling sub-culture as the rest of society but I somehow doubt it.
    Yup, the Biker community is (and always has been) predominantly, white, male and of a Christian background.

But funnily enough, even though there are very few persons of a different ethnic/cultural background amongst them, bikers remain one of the most non-judgemental groups of people around. I've never seen a biker look down on anyone because of colour or religion, which is more than I can say for a lot of allegedly 'normal' people - mickey taking aside.

The big difference between biker forums and here is that bikers want to talk about 'biker lifestyle' (eugh, hate the word 'lifestyle' but I'm too fik to come up with an alternative) whereas on the .Org the only connecting factor is Caithness. An area with a lot of different people, lifestyles (argh!) and attitudes - so we discuss everything.

Bikers don't discuss politics or religion openly when in company. It's a big no-no at rallies, you're there as a biker not a religious or political mouthpiece - 'leave the attitude at home'.

I recall long conversations into the night beside the flickering embers of many a bonfire about all manner of topics. I hardly ever used to talk about the machinery Northerner.
    I have seen examples of racism within the biking community, though I agree that it's not really a dominant issue with most folk, or it wasn't back then.
    I never saw myself as a 'biker' just a motor-cyclist who liked to be different and not dress like most of the 'tribe' or live any kind of 'lifestyle' much of the music they used to play was tripe and cheap jewellery, murals (not patches) on the backs of leather jackets or fuel tanks seldom looked good. I even enjoyed having a very different machine.

For the most part though they were a welcoming bunch...things changed , or started to change about twelve years ago when testosterone laden lads with too much money decided to spend some of it on machines they couldn't handle properly....few can, when used to the limit of their design capabilities.

Sorry to take this slightly off topic sweetpea..forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and voicing them on a forum is fair game. You dont necessarily have to agree with a poster,they voice their opinion, if you dont agree then you have 2 choices.

1.Ignore the thread or
    2.Post a comment and argue your point.

That is what makes a forum, I have had run ins with people on a thread, its not the person that I am "falling out" or disagreeing with its their opinion, I bet if I met them for a pint we'd get on great. Its Human nature not to agree with everything.

I personally dont like Gardening or Wildlife, so I dont read those posts, nothing against it, just doesnt interest me. Its the same on the general forum, if it doesnt interest me then I dont read it, I find if you take this attitude then Forums are great.After all there is no law that states you HAVE to read a post!
    have to agree with hotrod there if you do not like what is being said do not read it we live in a free country and are all entilted to our opinion but do not think we should put poeple down for what they belevie in as i say if you don't like it don't resd it .

I use the initials of my real name, 'Tiberious, Bernard-Hazelfoot.'

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    I use the initials of my real name, 'Tiberious, Bernard-Hazelfoot.'
    You cannot be 'tiberious' ?
    If you are, that's a very grand moniker.

You cannot be 'tiberious' ?
    If you are, that's a very grand moniker.
    Blame my mother, it was either that or Cecil.

Surely a 'forum' is a meeting place where ideas, opinions and thoughts can be discussed by all who are interested in the topic..... whether they are from Caithness or not.
    People from outside the geographic area of the org have experiences that may differ from folks here because the environment in which they live is
    different........surely those members have the right to communicate their world with ours and we should welcome their thoughts and opinions, even if they do not fall in with our own perceptions of life..perhaps to broaden our horizons and viewpoint.

Caithnessians have no life experience beyond the borders of their own county apparently so we shouldn't be talking about world events or history.
    Let's just stick to Dounreay, lost cats and windfarms, that's our tant.

Quote Originally Posted by tbh View Post
    caithnessians have no life experience beyond the borders of their own county apparently so we shouldn't be talking about world events or history.
    Let's just stick to dounreay, lost cats and windfarms, that's our tant.
    aye right!!!!!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    aye right!!!!!!
    I know what you mean Golach, but some seem to think we Caithnessians are nothing more than ignorant hillbillies.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast