Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Alexander Bain, Keiss, caithness

Default Alexander Bain, Keiss, caithness

Have my family tree back to the marraige of Alexander Bain and Margaret Mullikin, 28.3.1823, Wick, hard to make out his father's name from the extract (could be William) a farmer from Keiss. Anyone help to go back further?

Andy

you could try to find there find there death certificates on scotlands people it does cost you but its records start fom 1855 and has old parish records pre dating this giving you birth and marriages but not death good luck

Default Alexander Bain

Thanks Docfraser, but I believe he was dead before 1841, census shows only wife and children

Quote Originally Posted by anesinclair View Post
    Thanks Docfraser, but I believe he was dead before 1841, census shows only wife and children
    if you know were they lived you could check the graveyards near by there is a directory of graveyards pre 1855 i cant remember who compiled it but iam sure if you googled it you could find it

try to see if you can find him in the old parish records on scotlands people if you think his name was william it will brind up all the possable birth of alexander bain you just put in the mother name and fathers name if you only no the surnames it still will bring then up

Smile

Have my family tree back to the marraige of Alexander Bain and Margaret Mullikin, 28.3.1823, Wick, hard to make out his father's name from the extract (could be William) a farmer from Keiss. Anyone help to go back further?

Andy
    Have you any idea who Margaret Mullikin parents was. My Margaret Mulliken b. 1800 parents were James Mullikin & Isabella Farquhar they were from Coghill in Watten

Default Margaret mullikin

Hi Caroline, yes this would be the same person, her father was James, and I have her on the 1841 census as head of the family, ( a farmer, aged 40) in Gersay, Watten with her children.
    I'm investigating the Bain side at present!

Andy
    this is also my family tree. I cant get back any further than you if you make any headway please let me know.

Alexander Bain, died 1836 age 42 buried in watten church cemetary

I have Jannet Bain bn 1719 in Watten and her father James bn 1683
    Jannet married Alexander Harper bn 1.4.1719

could these people be related to yours in some way? they are my partners ancestors btw.
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes!!

hi...i'm looking for more info on the families of Alexander Bain and Margaret Mulliken (nee Farquhar) (married 28.03.1823 in Wick). Also, does anyone know if this Alexander Bain is related to the inventor Alexander Bain from Watten?
    http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...xanderbain.htm
    Thanks!

Hi, Alexander Bain the inventor was my 4 x Great Uncle, and as far as I can see there is no connection.

I would think Alexander married to Margaret Mullikin father was named John based on the traditional naming pattern. There is one born in Wick parents John and Elspet Robson/Robertston who also had a son named Magnus.

Mamie

Quote Originally Posted by rjgra3 View Post
    hi...i'm looking for more info on the families of Alexander Bain and Margaret Mulliken (nee Farquhar) (married 28.03.1823 in Wick). Also, does anyone know if this Alexander Bain is related to the inventor Alexander Bain from Watten?
    Thanks!
    Have you any data for Margaret Mulliken(nee Farquhar) Parents ??

Thanks Mamie...I'll look into that. I've since found through Scotland's People website that my Alexander Bain of Mireland (born 5th April 1793) had a father named John Bain (of Mireland) and mother named Elizabeth MacBeath (of Howe) (born 21/09/1759 to James MacBeath of Keiss and Jean Sinclair).

[Sources [BAIN, ALEXANDER (O.P.R. Births 043/00 0030 0111 WICK)] and [BAIN, JOHN (O.P.R. Marriages 043/00 0030 0423 WICK)] and [MCBEATH, ELIZABETH (O.P.R. Births 043/00 0020 0041 WICK)]

Hello Tricia...I made an error in my original post...it should read Margaret BAIN (nee Mulliken). Margaret's parents were James Mullikin of Mireland and Isobel Farquhar. The data I've found for Margaret Mulliken is not conclusive as there were a couple of discrepancies in the 1863 death record. Census records and children's data appear to be more reliable. Anyway, this is what I've got so far...

12/12/1773 BIRTH - Eric Farquhar in Wester had by his wife Margt. Cormack a child baptised named Isobel. The witnesses were M. Bremner in Keiss and John Bremner in Wester. [FARQUHAR, ISOBEL (O.P.R. Births 043/00 0020 0197 WICK)]

18/01/1800 MARRIAGE - Mullikin James in Howe was matrimonially contracted to Isobel Farquhar in Howe. Cautioned Don Bruce (?) in Howe and William Farquhar in Wick. [MULLIKIN, JAMES (O.P.R. Marriages 043/00 0030 0467 WICK)]

05/11/1800 BIRTH - James Mullikin had by his wife Isobel Farquhar a child baptised Margt. The witnesses are noted as William Falconer and John Farquhar. [MULLIKIN, MARGT (O.P.R. Births 043/00 0030 0189 WICK)]

06/06/1841 CENSUS - Margaret BAIN; Age 40; Address Gersay, Watten; Occupation, Farmer. Children John 15, James 11, Alexander 9, Magnus 8. - - - note: no husband listed as Alexander BAIN apparently died in 1836 (though I can't find a death record of this).

06/03/1863 DEATH - Margaret BAIN; Age 63; Gersa, Watten; Widow of James (sic?) BAIN; Parents James Mullicken, Farmer (dec) & Isabella Mullicken m.s Falconer (sic?) (dec); John Bain, Son present. [MULLICKEN, MARGARET (Statutory Deaths 042/00 0006)] - - (a couple of discrepancies to check out...husband's name and mother's maiden name and deceased status.)

11/08/1864 DEATH - Isabella MULLIKEN; Age 90; Cogle, Watten; Widow of James MULLIKEN; Parents, Eric Farquhar, Weaver (dec) & Margaret Farquhar (nee Cormack) (dec); Magnus Mulliken, Son present. [MULLIKEN, ISABELLA (Statutory Deaths 042/00 0017)] - - - Upper Cogle is an area (farm?) to the north of Watten and is located next to Gersa/ Gersay.

Hope this is of interest!
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by rjgra3 View Post

11/08/1864 DEATH - Isabella MULLIKEN; Age 90; Cogle, Watten; Widow of James MULLIKEN; Parents, Eric Farquhar, Weaver (dec) & Margaret Farquhar (nee Cormack) (dec); Magnus Mulliken, Son present. [MULLIKEN, ISABELLA (Statutory Deaths 042/00 0017)] - - - Upper Cogle is an area (farm?) to the north of Watten and is located next to Gersa/ Gersay.

Hope this is of interest!
    RJ
    I am sure I will find a link somewhere to this family but meanwhile you may be interested in the following re Coghill surname and Place:

" The family name COGHILL / COGLE is almost certainly topographical, notionally circa 1250 as a surname, from the Old Norse 'kof-gil' = 'misty burn' (at the bottom of a ravine), which is certainly a present day feature at the farm of COGLE in the parish of Watten, except that the 'gil' there should really have steep sides."
    The farm of COGLE passed out of COGHILL ownership about 1698 after a seven year mini ice age when crops fails during these successive years. He also says that he has "examined a 1518 document that refers to Thomas COGHILL of that samen, i.e. of that Ilk which is Coghill of Coghill in the parish of Watten"
    Above notes from Ronald COGHILL who was/is doing a one name study of COGHILL.
    He estimates that this Thomas Coghill was born about 1475.~~~

Tricia
    ps .(my Cormack family were in Cogle mid 1700s with Magnus Cormack and Mary Sutherland - have you any data pn your Margaret Cormack)