Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories o grannies cooking

Default Memories o grannies cooking

What wonderful foods did your gran cook ?

One of mine was a ace baker, her tatties scones were superb as were her coffee mousse desserts, Sponges too big to get in your mouth and oatcakes to die for. She also cooked cod roe and tripe for granda UGH awful stuff sorrry about pun !

My other gran used to do what we thought were odd things, like put a mealie pudding on top of the mince while it was cooking or a sausage roll HMMMMM I loved them both.

I had an aunt who I will always remember for her delicious treacle tarts and my 12 cousins
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

loved my grannie's yellow split pea soup made we a ham shank and her stewed sausages, even though i make them myself they just don't taste the same

My dad was a meal miller and we used to have pease meal brose in the mornings till he could not get it any more then mother made us eat porridge UGH loathe the stuff.

Just been reminded of a few dishes we used have.....

Cheesy Eggs

boiled eggs cooled, sliced and layered on bottom of oven proof dish

make a cheese sauce and cover eggs with it top with grated cheese

heat through in oven

the other one was cheesy mash with a fried egg on top

Don't think I would like either of these now.

We use to go to my Grans every Sunday, the whole family which was only about 20 of us then, it was always her Sunday roast and then followed by some wonderful sweets, apple and date crumble, apple rice pudding, apple and cherry sponge, yes they had lots of orchards so you had apples with most things.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

I remember my granny for the Cod Liver Oil she spooned in to us every time we visited. That and Malt...a whole tablespoon! I know these were not cooked but she did make a grand flour scone.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Glad I was spared the cod liver oil and malt but one gran was determined that I would have some milk of magnesia ............... she soon realised not all wee girls tell lies I was sick just like I said I would be. Can't tolerate the stuff.

Large fruit cakes and cherry cakes.

Her pancakes hot or the griddle & her irish stew - never had any like it since my mother made it for me a couple of yrs after she died & it was just no the same Haven't had any in years maybe i should look for a recipe for it

Home made bread and cakes.

smoked hams and salmon and rabbit stew.

Fond memories of going to grandparents house for Sunday dinner, the lovely smell of roast lamb and tatties, and my grandfather in the kitchen carving the roast and slipping us children bits of meat to "make sure it was good enough for the table". At the dinner table he would slip us white bread with butter and sugar and wink at us, our little secret (as if our mother didn't notice haha).
    Happy days.

Being at nana's on pancake makin day and eatin them hot wi butter - mmmmmmmmmm! Griddle scones wi butter and crowdie (wi cream mixed in). Sherry trifle! Or trifle made wi ginger wine for the bairns!

My memories of my Grannies cooking is especially her Oatcakes and Crowdie, and her drop scones.....mmmmmmm
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

come on I feel deprived now my grand mother was a rubbish cook everthing was either boiled to death or burnt to a crisp.
    anybody want to swap grand mothers?
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

Sadly both my granmas' are long gone and my mother went earlier this year, she made great ginger bread but stopped making it as we ate before it left the cooling rack some days !

My Granny made the best mince soup. Her pancakes and home made rhubarb jam were to die for. At New Year she made her own sweet wine. I loved her boiled cod with melted butter and Long Blue tatties served up with pork sausages. Dont ask me why. Carnation Milk whipped up with Jelly. Sugar sandwiches. Clootie dumpling and fruit duff. Oh the memories.

Loved going there for the Creamola Foam too.

Ohhh I remember Cremola Foam I loved the lemon one and sugar sandwiches ugh to Carnation Milk though

My brother in law makes the BEST clootie dumpling ever !

Recipe for the clootie please AN!

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    My Granny made the best mince soup. Her pancakes and home made rhubarb jam were to die for. At New Year she made her own sweet wine. I loved her boiled cod with melted butter and Long Blue tatties served up with pork sausages. Dont ask me why. Carnation Milk whipped up with Jelly. Sugar sandwiches. Clootie dumpling and fruit duff. Oh the memories.

Loved going there for the Creamola Foam too.
    Wow forgot about Carnation milk jellies - yummy! Wonder if I make one will it still taste as good? Do you have the recipe for the mince soup Venture?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast