Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the central, thurso

Thumbs down the central, thurso

went to the central yesterday for lunch with my 2yr old, havent been for a few months but used to go quite regular.Quite like it in here as theres a bouncy castle for the kids but yesterday I really did get the shock of my life!!!
    If anyone hasnt been before I will point out that the central is situated on the second floor of the building above the main street in thurso. there are sash windows which go from floor to ceiling with wooden railings round.
    my 2 yr old was playing near our table I turned round to see that he was now stood between the railings & the window!! yes he'd managed to get between the railings without any bother what so ever, what was more frightening was the window was open to knee height!! if I hadnt seen him immediately I would hate to think of the outcome as its a fair drop to the street below. So if anyone is in there will toddlers please be aware of this danger!!
    Ive written to the owner explaining what happened so heres hoping they act immediately.

the place really is disgraceful, its dirty you stick to the floor, the new menu is awful as its soo expensive...it really isnt the kid orrientated place that they make out it is, the bouncy castle has been taped up a hundred times... beside the castle theres holes in the walls
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

this place is a disgrace, we used to go in now and again as the kids always wanted the bouncy castle but we went in a few months ago when the menus changed, walked straight back out, and have never been in since, and i do not intend to go back, the food is all overpriced and always fried, even the kids food, not healthy for them!!! the state of the place is just a disgrace, as ash said it is always dirty and the floor is just disgusting, how they get away with having a place like this for food and kids safety i will never know, i think it is depend who you know etc!!!

In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings

Not keen on the new menu, the food is really over priced. The "french fries" are still the same mushy frozen chips they've always had!

Hopefully they will bring back the old menu sometime soon (I miss club sandwich's)

The place could do with a good clean and a lick off paint (Lord knows he can afford it) The walls beside the bouncy castle always look mouldy/crumbly

Their saving grace has to be their staff though. They are always really friendly and nothing seems like too much hassle!

Thumbs down

I haven't been in the Central for several months now. The last time I went I was appalled by the state of the place. The bouncy castle area was filthy, the seat coverings were ripped, water stains/holes on the walls, and the carpet was sticky. It's such a shame as it used to be a great place to go with bairns. I realise it must be a huge undertaking to run a place like that, but surely a lick of paint and some new upholstery wouldn't break the bank! I also agree that any time I have been in, the staff have been excellent.

Smile

"In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings"

I for one think that every play area should have a set of revolving knives just to ensure children are watched adequately, perhaps a pirhana pool and snake pit too. Not at all hazardous because parents will be watching their kids properly, and children always take ages to do things so no worries then!

The place is a dump in need of revival TBH

Default The Central Hotel

I havent been in the Central for maybe 3 month, and I cant say I have missed it, the food is over priced, and as others have said everything was deep fried. The money they are raking in I am sure they could refurbbish the place every year, and not cut there profits too much.

To say its supposed to be a child friendly place, there is so many areas that could be dangerous. The bouncy castle seems to atract parents with children but it more often than not causes more problems and like ash said it been taped up time and time again. The Windows and railings that Brie Mentioned, The Carpeted area is minging. A kids menu that must be the dearest in the County, and they aint getting anything different.

They have stopped what made them, they only serve snack and a kids menu on sunday now. I dont understand why they are shooting them selves in the foot with every change they make, all I ever hear is bad about the place now.

They must have had feedback, why are they dragging there heals???
    Last edited by chamb; 23-Jul-08 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    "In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings"

I for one think that every play area should have a set of revolving knives just to ensure children are watched adequately, perhaps a pirhana pool and snake pit too. Not at all hazardous because parents will be watching their kids properly, and children always take ages to do things so no worries then!
    Glad we agree

We used to go there on a regular basis, but it has been going downhill for a long time now.
    The children's play area is a brilliant money making idea with a lot of potential, but if the surrounding area is dirty and scruffy, it puts people off.
    We used to think it was great, but the interior was getting worse, the floors were disgusting, and the food started to go downhill as well. The last time we ate there, I was ill for a few days - although I can't prove it was the food.
    It used to be the place to go with kids, and I think it's a shame that it's turned out like this.
    The staff have always been friendly and helpful and it has always been a friendly atmosphere.
    Hopefully someone is reading this, and will try to make the changes that everyone is asking for. A good clean up and repair, a few more safety measures, and the popular menu back where it should be!

[quote=*Martin*;410581]In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings

do have to laugh at this comment!!!
    You obviously dont have children or have the most controlled children in the world!. Dont know anyone who can say that in a split second their child hasnt done something they shouldnt.
    Our table was right next to the railings, my child was stood at the table with me but i didnt expect for 1 minute that the railings wouldnt be to the official 100mm gap they were supposed to be.

I have two girls actually! I know they can do stuff they shouldn't but I also know that if I am in a situation they are unfamiliar with (i.e. sitting at a table beside an open window on the second floor with only railings to prevent an accident) I am on full alert!

You knew the surroundings yet you still see fit to hoist blame upon someone else

we went to the centrl a while back, because they are the only place with a play area for the kids, but to be honest wnt be rushing back in a hurry that place has gone downhill fast, the change of menu and the cost the food is a disgrace, even the food doesnt taste as good as what it used to, we have started to take the kids to the legion on a saturday, the food is good and very well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by *Martin* View Post
    I have two girls actually! I know they can do stuff they shouldn't but I also know that if I am in a situation they are unfamiliar with (i.e. sitting at a table beside an open window on the second floor with only railings to prevent an accident) I am on full alert!

You knew the surroundings yet you still see fit to hoist blame upon someone else
    come on now martin! do you honestly think the blame is on me not them for actually taking my child into a so called child friendly place & their safety railings not being to national standards?? do you think i carry a 100mm ball with me everywhere i go to check for this sort of danger?? get real please! & for the record i didnt even notice the window was open when i sat down ( dont usually sit at these tables I usually sit at the ones right next to the bouncy castle so my childs visible to me at all times).
    all I can say is I wish I was such a perfect parent that i remember to scan everywhere i take them for dangers before i take my eyes of them for a second.

Doing missionary work in Northern England

[QUOTE=BRIE;410674]
    Quote Originally Posted by *Martin* View Post
    In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings

do have to laugh at this comment!!!
    You obviously dont have children or have the most controlled children in the world!. Dont know anyone who can say that in a split second their child hasnt done something they shouldnt.
    Our table was right next to the railings, my child was stood at the table with me but i didnt expect for 1 minute that the railings wouldnt be to the official 100mm gap they were supposed to be.

Well..there you go Brie.
    'Health & SAFETY Regulations', 'Landlord's Duty of Care', 'Fire/Emergency Evacuation Procedures' etc.,...we wouldn't need any of these legislations if you remained on full alert.
    And remember....next time you're in a similar situation and keeping a 'weather eye' on your child, if somebody comes up behind you and taps you on the shoulder, whatever you do, DON'T LOOK ROUND!
    ...you know what kids are like.

I feel I should reply.

First off, thanks very much for praising the staff, that's always a great thing to hear/read about.

I have to address a few points though.

A few people have criticised the new menu saying the food is overpriced and that they've just walked in, looked at the menu and left. Those people are hardly in a position to say that the food is overpriced if they haven't tried the food. Saying the menu is awful because the food is so expensive is a bit wide of the mark. Saying the food is awful because you think it is expensive isn't a reason. If you'd tried the food and didn't enjoy it, mention it to one of us. We can't improve if you don't say to us.

The kids menu has improved and has healthier options on it. Salads, baked potatoes etc. People have the choice for their children and most of them still choose the fried option. No, not everything is fried. It's a bit of a lose/lose situation here tbh. People complain that everything was fried, but they still want the old menu with... yep, everything fried on it.

I wouldn't say the old menu is what is required. I think if I had a pound for everytime a customer said to me "when are you getting a new menu?" I'd have a lot of money. If I had a pound for every compliment I've heard about the new one, then I'd probably be just as rich.

The problem with people seems to be, that they fear change. When we renovated Top Joes a few years ago, we had people saying "oh, it's not like the old bar." True enough, it's not, but it's a damn site better looking than the old bar. Those people were the ones saying they wouldn't go back or not go in as much... and they're the same ones who are in every week A couple of people complained about the price change when we implemented the new menu, but they at least tried the food and were very complimentary about when they had. They were very nice and apologised for complaining.

I agree with a few of the points being made though. The place is in desperate need of refurbishment. The carpets are dirty and the seats are dirty. We need a total overhaul. I'm sure it'll happen at some point, but I couldn't possibly say when.

So, a question from me. IF the place was better decorated and tidier, would there be such a gripe about paying the prices for the food?

I'm sure I've missed something, so I'll check back

I don't mind paying extra for food, if the food is good. And I am all for a healthy kid's menu. I never had a problem with the menu or the prices, rather the food itself. The second last time we were there, I had macaroni cheese, which I usually have. It was cooked differently, and tasted great. The following weekend we were back, and it was cooked differently again, and tasted weird! Someone else at our table said the sausages didn't taste very good.
    I can't comment on the new menu, as we haven't been back since, which is a real shame.
    It's good of you to come on and address some of the issues that have been raised.
    We would love to come back if the place was cleaned up, and the cooking sorted out.
    It was always a favourite place for people with kids - we used to come through from Wick regularly, and I know a lot of other people who would come through from Wick just to go there for lunch.
    But the problem is that once a place gets a bad reputation, you really need to work hard to get back on track.
    Good luck - I really hope the Central can be revived! It has great potential, and the staff are a great asset.

Well to be honest i was surprised to see the direction in which this thread was going. Myself and my family have travelled through from Wick a few times specifically to have lunch at the Central and had never really found anything negative to say about the place. Yes it maybe needs a bit of a tidy up but there are plenty other places around the area that need the same thing. I would rather take my children to eat somewhere that doesn't raise an eyebrow when my youngest drops a few crumbs on the floor or makes the slightest noise. I think the new menu could be expanded slightly but how is the proprietor to know that unless someone brings this to his attention. Yes patrons safety is a definate priority for any business but i think a quiet word in his ear might have been better placed.

Quote Originally Posted by KCI View Post
    I don't mind paying extra for food, if the food is good. And I am all for a healthy kid's menu. I never had a problem with the menu or the prices, rather the food itself. The second last time we were there, I had macaroni cheese, which I usually have. It was cooked differently, and tasted great. The following weekend we were back, and it was cooked differently again, and tasted weird! Someone else at our table said the sausages didn't taste very good.
    I can't comment on the new menu, as we haven't been back since, which is a real shame.
    It's good of you to come on and address some of the issues that have been raised.
    We would love to come back if the place was cleaned up, and the cooking sorted out.
    It was always a favourite place for people with kids - we used to come through from Wick regularly, and I know a lot of other people who would come through from Wick just to go there for lunch.
    But the problem is that once a place gets a bad reputation, you really need to work hard to get back on track.
    Good luck - I really hope the Central can be revived! It has great potential, and the staff are a great asset.
    Thanks for that reply. We are trying to raise the standards and get more consistent. We're getting there slowly.

We want to have customers coming back and we want to keep them happy and for them to tell people about a good experience with the food. Ok, the place is in need of a tarting up, but we'll get there... hopefully sooner rather than later. We're just as desperate for it as the punters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Thanks for that reply. We are trying to raise the standards and get more consistent. We're getting there slowly.

We want to have customers coming back and we want to keep them happy and for them to tell people about a good experience with the food. Ok, the place is in need of a tarting up, but we'll get there... hopefully sooner rather than later. We're just as desperate for it as the punters.

NO problem. As I said, it's good that you have come on to discuss some of the issues raised, and it shows that you are trying to make improvements.
    Maybe we'll come back in over the school holidays, and try out the new menu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast