Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Doll's Houses

Default Doll's Houses

I like to make doll's houses and furniture..............mostly 1/24 scale (easier stored), though I have made 1/16 and 1/12 in my time.

Is there anywhere in Caithness where I can get ply/mdf in sizes less than 8x4 (no transport) and mouldings, wood panels, stripwood, hinges etc.

I can get all of it online................but sending an order to Caithness costs an arm and a leg for ply and MDF.............and I have a free bus pass if there is anything local.

I think the only place close to you is homebase. Unfortunately not having transport of your own would be a problem. Is there no way you could get someone to run you through when stuff is needed.
    Dolls houses are a love of mine and i keep hinting to hubby that i would love one so i could decorate and furnish it. i will probably end up making my own. I too like you do a lot online for equipment, and it is extortionate what they charge for delivery..
    I do hope that you get sorted and if there was more i could offer i would..great hobby and i hope you can share some pics maybe of the ones you have built. I have looked at many plans for many designs as i think a little girls room is nothing without one., my girls dont quite agree so mine would be for the big girl in the house..

Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I think the only place close to you is homebase. Unfortunately not having transport of your own would be a problem. Is there no way you could get someone to run you through when stuff is needed.
    Dolls houses are a love of mine and i keep hinting to hubby that i would love one so i could decorate and furnish it. i will probably end up making my own. I too like you do a lot online for equipment, and it is extortionate what they charge for delivery..
    I do hope that you get sorted and if there was more i could offer i would..great hobby and i hope you can share some pics maybe of the ones you have built. I have looked at many plans for many designs as i think a little girls room is nothing without one., my girls dont quite agree so mine would be for the big girl in the house..

Good luck..
    Just got a 1/24 Georgian style scratch built here just now.......reduced from a 1/12 plan. Didn't keep too well in a damp caravan.....but does show what can be done by trial and error...even if straight lines aren't your forte! .
    The rest got given away when I moved up here......no room for them.

Will take photos of the wee one and post in the next few days.

I have plans for a 1/12 Georgian house, a 1/12 Tudor style one( did that for No 1 grand-daughter a few years back with working lights etc), a 1/16 modernish one, 2 x 1/12 Victorian three storey, a 1/12 Shop and flat, a 1/12 cottage which can be finished in various styles..........thinking of doing that as a 1/24 Caithness thatch/turf roofed cottage.........a really fiddly 1/12 modern house with porches etc that I'm keen to try at 1/24, a Zoo and a Farm, and loads of furniture plans....if you (or anybody) fancy trying any of them, just PM me.

Don't suppose anyone fancies setting up a Caithness dolls house/furniture building club so costs of materials/tools could be shared. I've got shed loads of webspace for a dedicated forum etc, and maybe we could arrange self-help workshops?
    Last edited by Oddquine; 20-Jul-08 at 18:26.

try shearers at the back of the old police station in wick

We bought my daughter the 'Pierce' Greenleaf doll house last year and still haven't managed to finish it. We had it shipped from the US and maybe should have downsized a tad seeing as it is our first attempt. lol.
    It'll be great when it's done, it's just the getting there!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/