Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of the line for wick town association.

Default End of the line for wick town association.

THE body which ran the Wick Gala for many years has been wound up. The Wick Town Improvements Association came to an end at a special meeting which was held in the Assembly Rooms on Tuesday night and follows a police investigation into the finances of the organisation.

It is understood that a considerable amount of money is unaccounted for, although no details are being made public at the present time.

WHAT YOU THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER ?

SEEN THIS IN THE PAPER TODAY.

It is a sad day when people in trusted positions turn against their own town and resort to stealing from their own.
    Hopefully the law will deal with this and see these greedy individuals brought to task in no uncertain terms.

let's wait until it's proven that money has been stolen before making comments, don't forget these people are volunteers - it is just possible that they were bad at book keeping and it got out of control - it's happened before

Thumbs down hi

years ago i remember on the night of the gala they put the floats in the airport hangers and me and my mate were walking the dog a car pulled up to the hanger a guy come out the car he did not see us the guy was throwing the chairty tins full of money into the back of his car and stealing anything he got his hands on so it does not help tho's floats been left Unattended!!!

years ago i remember on the night of the gala they put the floats in the airport hangers and me and my mate were walking the dog a car pulled up to the hanger a guy come out the car he did not see us the guy was throwing the chairty tins full of money into the back of his car and stealing anything he got his hands on so it does not help tho's floats been left Unattended!!!
    and you never thought to take a note of car details and report the matter or make enquiries about it ?

Default hi

a was 14 years olds when that happened did not think

Quote Originally Posted by bettedaviseyes View Post
    How do you know he was stealing anything? He might have been there to collect the tins etc. for someone who was on the float. He might have been from the TIA making sure all the tins were returned. Ive been on many Gala floats and know sometimes, that due to too much drink, cans and personal belongings are abandoned on the floats when folk go to the pub after the procession. The cans are supposed to be returned on the night but some folk don't return them until next day when they dismantle the float. I think you are to quick to assume anything unless you have absolute proof.

Default lol

look i dont need to prove anything i know what i saw with my own eyes the guy was stealing end of story.

You would have seen as well that it is being investigated by the police ( last line of the story). The police will form a case and then present the case for prosecution in a court with a sheriff/judge. The person/s prosecuted will have a chance to defend themselves. It is called due process of law. There is a reason why police, prosecutors and judge are all seperate entities: it is so that conclusions cannot be jumped to.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

in a square thing made of bricks. Oh, it's called a house! lol

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    You would have seen as well that it is being investigated by the police ( last line of the story). The police will form a case and then present the case for prosecution in a court with a sheriff/judge. The person/s prosecuted will have a chance to defend themselves. It is called due process of law. There is a reason why police, prosecutors and judge are all seperate entities: it is so that conclusions cannot be jumped to.

Spoil sport! we like jumping to conclusions and pretending to be inspector Morse! we all like gossip too!

You are right, of course, but it won't stop anyone having their thoughts on who/what/where/when/hang them/ooops, we were wrong/ha! told you/etc. it's part of our genetics as inquisitive human beings!

I Know the Guy you refer to he did this every year ,got any TINS etc and any removed a lot of equipment on the floats equipment that he had loaned .This same Guy was a Member of WTIA and Wick Players and various other groups.
    He gave a lot of time and effort in many this in the town and still DOES.
    So Perhaps YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU COMMENT and MAKE Statements About STEALING

Default lol

ok then why was he throwing buckets of money into his car without the buckets looking about him like someone was going to catch him i dont need to justify myself plus i was there and saw along with my friend not you or anyone else. Besides that man is just as bad as the ones the police is investigating there not investigating for know reason but its a shame that, what ever happens will or could have effected your gala

ok then why was he throwing buckets of money into his car without the buckets looking about him like someone was going to catch him i dont need to justify myself plus i was there and saw along with my friend not you or anyone else. Besides that man is just as bad as the ones the police is investigating there not investigating for know reason but its a shame that, what ever happens will or could have effected your gala

The obvious answer to that would be that the buckets belonged to the people on the float and the money to the WTIA. Rather than be responsible for returning a load of buckets to people he would have left them there. Why would he be looking about him? I expect in case someone tried to steal the money from his car.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    let's wait until it's proven that money has been stolen before making comments, don't forget these people are volunteers - it is just possible that they were bad at book keeping and it got out of control - it's happened before
    According to an earlier thread on this matter, the sum involved was around about £17,000. I think that equates to something more than bad book keeping. No doubt someone will be able to see if the books were cooked or not.

This is a dreadful thread - inviting gossip and speculation.
    My comment would be that it is being handled by the police so be quiet until the facts are gathered and judgement given. Mud sticks!
    I would further add that I have been treasurer to various organisations and have always ensured that money matters are handled correctly so that there is no room for any dubiety. I do understand though that people can have a cavalier attitude to other people's money ie not realising that you are the caretaker of such funds whether they are for charity or whatever. It is also important that such matters are taken seriously no matter how small the sum.

after reading some of the posts on this thread. perhaps the org should have a self righteous colum
    speak your mind. but mind how you speak.

I don't want to speculate about what has happened to the money, though we had an experience over here with the treasurer of a school band "booster club" embezzling a lot of the money. Perfectly respectable middle class bloke, accountant to trade. Ended up in state prison for his crimes.

What I *have* always wondered was what improvements the Improvement Association ever made to Wick with the money collected. Last thing I heard of was that they had restored the fountain by the river. Personally I think the best improvement you could make to that monstrosity would be using a bulldozer to shove it in the river.

However despite my seemingly sour tone (bad back today) I do have to say it would be a tragedy if no-one steps up and takes on the task of organizing the Gala Week. Perhaps some of the energy spent on speculating about the old association would be better spent setting up a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    I do have to say it would be a tragedy if no-one steps up and takes on the task of organizing the Gala Week. Perhaps some of the energy spent on speculating about the old association would be better spent setting up a new one.
    That has already been done George. The Wick Gala Committee are taking over the event, for this year at least, and there are some events in the pipeline. There was a sponsored fancy dress walk last Saturday and more details are available at this link:-

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...oes_ahead.html

As far as speculation about the Galagate affair goes it seems pretty clear that money is missing and the sum that was put about is obviously an enormous amount for a small association. It would need to be a pretty severe slip of the pen to lose that amount. Unless the tooth-fairy took it, or it's simply sitting in Fergus McCann's legendary biscuit tin waiting to be found, then the Police will get to the bottom of it. It's not right to put names about but it's pretty lame to try to kid on like nothing has happened.

we had an experience over here with the treasurer of a school band "booster club" embezzling a lot of the money.
    It happens all the time. I remember one case recently about a woman who was quite dowdy looking until she became treasurer of her PTA. Before long, she was sporting new breasts and a snazzy new look, courtesy of the PTA. I have put some audit/dual controls in place for one of my volunteer groups which has a sizeable budget. Since my background is banking, I look at the treasurer's system and try to make it embezzlement proof from all angles. Some of the group cannot understand why I don't just trust the treasurer-- "Oh, good old so and so is honest as the day is long". Like Ronald Reagan said, "trust but verify". Any group that does not have controls and a timely audit procedure in place is asking for trouble.

What I *have* always wondered was what improvements the Improvement Association ever made to Wick with the money collected. Last thing I heard of was that they had restored the fountain by the river. Personally I think the best improvement you could make to that monstrosity would be using a bulldozer to shove it in the river.
    I think the fountain by the river looks lovely and its part of the heritage of this town. Pity some people dont appreciate it...that is......you and the vandals.

I also think this thread isnt exactly encouraging to all the honest people that give up their time for the good of the town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast