Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: NHS Scotland vs NHS England

Default NHS Scotland vs NHS England

The Scottish government is in moving to close the loophole in legislation which would allow privatisation of certain NHS services. The major one being privatisation of Primary Care which is GP practices.

The NHS England in certain parts has privatised GP surgeries.Their health minister is talking about the opening up of Polyclinics. It means most of the services including GPs under one roof.

What do you think of the two different health systems ?

Which one would you prefer ?

For me when it comes to health I would prefer the system to stay in the public sector not the private sector.

Ditto, Alice.

I'm afraid I have little faith in any system which puts profit at the top of their agenda, particularly where that profit is predicated on the cheap use of publicly owned and run facilities in hospitals like scans etc.

I'd prefer privatisation of the whole lot and pay private medical insurance. There's too many foreign scroungers taking advantage of the NHS.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I'm in two minds about this one, my local health centre has opted for the privatisation route and not only do I now have a brand new clinic with much shorter waiting times for appointments but many new facilities that mean for routine tests such as an ECG .I no longer have to make the trip across the city to a hospital.
    The attitude of the doctors and the staff has improved out of all recognition. the whole centre has a welcoming atmosphere and one has the feeling that one is longer just a number.
    I would however concern me if the whole of The NHS were to go down this route, although I have no objection to private money being utilised if it improves the general quality of the services and standards available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'd prefer privatisation of the whole lot and pay private medical insurance. There's too many foreign scroungers taking advantage of the NHS.
    I'm with you on that Rheg. As well as paying National Insurance and Income Tax I also pay for private medical treatment, however I'd still like to see a system in place for those who can't afford it. At least it would mean sponger's having to earn money and may mean less foreigner's coming here solely for free treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    There's too many foreign scroungers taking advantage of the NHS.
    By foreign scroungers who would that mean just curious to know.

We have many home grown ''scroungers'' milking the system daily in this country not only the health care system but social system as well.

Well said Alice

Default nhs

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post

We have many home grown ''scroungers'' milking the system daily in this country not only the health care system but social system as well.
    what is the ratio of foreign to native . when english is foreign to scotland every one should get medical care rich or poor

True everyone in need of care should receive it........How best can it be delivered ........ through the private sector or public.....

Excellent comment Alice..... The other side of private heath care is who would insure existing MS sufferers?? Cancer sufferers on a purely profit making system ?? No one unless if forced to do so by government controls
    When you start to weed out "Johnny Forgeiner" from the NHS does that include the Poles who probably are now in there 80s who fought with distinction in WW2 and settled here ,worked all their days and paid taxes accordingly ? Does that mean the English fishermen who married in Caithness and worked all their life here?? or the Pakistani pedlar who came with his suitcase and built a business here?? Sooner them than some of the "locals" who havent worked in 3 generations

As for the NHS it has many faults but do we want to go back to pre Beveridge report Britain??
    Michael Foots biography of Anuerin Bevan Vol 2 Ch 3 gives a great insight into the opposition that had to be overcome to create the NHS ..and I for one am glad Bevan prevailed
    PM

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post

The other side of private heath care is who would insure existing MS sufferers?? Cancer sufferers on a purely profit making system ?? No one unless if forced to do so by government controls

PM
    Thats given food for thought with that statement.

I would hate to sit in judgement of anyone deciding whether they were to get treatment or not.

A free to all at point of entry service is the best in my view. Okay there are many who abuse this but there are many who abuse lots of things in one way or another.

Introduction of the private sector does on one hand have its merits as some have already found out in England but its striking the right balance and ensuring the scales never tip against the patients favour.

in a square thing made of bricks. Oh, it's called a house! lol

NHS - life and death in the NHS is about to start on IITV1 for anyone interested. Can't say I've had a bad experience really with state NHS, other than being told to push when in labour with 1st child when I wasn't ready, and all because the shift was about to change! Expereinces otherwise have been very good.

have to agree there are pently of our own who milk the .nhs and a lot more i am a one parent family i work and work hard but do resent them i see walking around knowing they do not work and get everything and i have to say have no complaints about the NHS .

Well three years ago was down in Lancashire, daughter in law asked if I'd put in a rotary dryer in the back garden for her. Stuck in the spade and whoops got a hernia popping out, quick look on son's PC and it says if I could push it back in; ok, if not; panic. It would go in, so with still three weeks to go down there used Gaffer Tape to hold it in (true!).
    A next door neighbour - a nurse - there said it was an 18 month waiting list for hernias(?!).. Anyway end of break came home to Far North, visited local Doc on the Monday, she rang Wick Hospital.
    On the Friday got a call from Wick to come in after the weekend on Monday and have op!
    Went over to Wick, went in (had an Epidural so could watch - always do; knee-replacement was awesome) one and half hours later; hernia fixed..

Now, compare England to Scotland...