Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bio-fuels - not all they are cracked up to be?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bio-fuels - not all they are cracked up to be?

I have been listening to the news in the last day or so and getting the impression that the government is now backtracking on its commitment to one of the latest renewable energy crazes, that of bio-fuels. It would now appear that certain types are more polluting than petrol.

Also, because so much land is now planted to bio-fuel crops there is a shortage in food crops. Apparently, farmers in America are getting large subsidies to grow bio-fuels, so of course they will swop over if its more profitable than growing food crops.

Save the planet, allow us to drive our gas-guzzlers, but forget to feed the people.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Save the planet, allow us to drive our gas-guzzlers, but forget to feed the people.
    How will driving gas guzzlers feed the people?

The problem with things like this is how people perceive the consequences of their actions.

You can basically split our perceptions into 3 areas.

1. Positive or negative

2. Immediate or in the future

3. Certain or uncertain.

The trouble with tackling climate change is that it(the consequences) is mostly portayed as negative, in the future and uncertain. The weakest scenario for people to change their ways.

The most positive thing to come out in recent months is that we are faced with consquences that may give us reason to change our ways that are more positive or neative, immediate and more certain. Basically, loss of energy supplies from competition to the East.

So though I broadly welcome the use of biofuels where land is not substituted for use for food etc, I think it is imperative that we keep exploring for new ways to be more carbon free and self sufficient. Some won't work, some will, we as a society must adapt to one thing that can't be done. That is keep burning fossil fuels like we are doing.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 08-Jul-08 at 12:21.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    How will driving gas guzzlers feed the people?
    Are you just being obtuse Rheghead? Of course I meant by growing loads of bio-fuels, that land can't be used to grow food for people. Did I really have to explain that?

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Are you just being obtuse Rheghead? Of course I meant by growing loads of bio-fuels, that land can't be used to grow food for people. Did I really have to explain that?
    You still haven't linked feeding the people with gas guzzling. No, I'm not being obtuse, catch my drift?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Rupert,
    While you and Rheghead obfuscate, I'd like to say that as usual the government is chasing its own tail with promoting bio-fuels and then realising that no, that ain't going to work.

More importantly, what I see already working, and working extremely well, is the high price of fuel. I read recently where our consumption of it in this country is already down nigh on 20%. Long may the trend continue.

Tilter: "More importantly, what I see already working, and working extremely well, is the high price of fuel. I read recently where our consumption of it in this country is already down nigh on 20%. Long may the trend continue."
    Ehh?
    You do realise that companies are going to the wall because of high fuel costs? - we are officially on the edge of a recession, are you aware that high food costs are mainly because cost of delivering them has to come from somewhere? Every 1p increase in the price of fuel adds £600 a year to the cost of driving a heavy goods vehicle, according to the Road Haulage Association.. and a 5p increase in the cost of diesel in recent weeks has already added £3,000 to a trucker's annual fuel bill.

Just wonder what Lala land you live in. What's your form of transport - a pushbike? - we live out west and it 'aint cheap to drive East to the food stores.. and me being a cripple, can't use the bike; the shopping bags fall off too.