Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: MANSON surname in TASMANIA

LonnyBoy Guest

Default MANSON surname in TASMANIA

I'm researching my Great Great Grandfather DAVID MANSON who was transported to TASMANIA in 1838 aboard the Augusta Jessie. The court lists him from WHALIGOE and he was 22 years old. I don't know anything about his family history in SCOTLAND. I am very keen to find out.

I'm aware that there are MANSON'S on the SHETLAND ISLANDS. Was it common back then for people to move between the SHETLAND ISLANDS and CAITHNESS?

Perhaps there is a service whereby a local person can be engaged to look through the SCOTTISH records?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by LonnyBoy
    I'm researching my Great Great Grandfather DAVID MANSON who was transported to TASMANIA in 1838 aboard the Augusta Jessie. The court lists him from WHALIGOE and he was 22 years old. I don't know anything about his family history in SCOTLAND. I am very keen to find out.

I'm aware that there are MANSON'S on the SHETLAND ISLANDS. Was it common back then for people to move between the SHETLAND ISLANDS and CAITHNESS?

Perhaps there is a service whereby a local person can be engaged to look through the SCOTTISH records?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Didn't need to import any Mansons, had plenty of our own.

The IGI has a record of a David Manson christened at Wick 6th April 1817 son of William Manson and Elisabeth Coghill. They also have a record of a marriage between a David Manson and Elisabeth Coghill the 22nd April 1814 at Wick.

The 1851 census has them living at Ulbster, Whaligoe is in Ulbster.

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    MANSON William Head M M 85 Fisherman Caithness - Wick
    COGHILL Elizabeth Wife M F 57 Fisherman's Wife Caithness - Wick
    MANSON George Son U M 23 Fisherman Caithness - Wick
    MANSON William Son U M 21 Carpenter Caithness - Wick
    MANSON Elizabeth Dau U F 19 Fisherman's Daughter Caithness - Wick
    MANSON Donald Son U M 17 Fisherman Caithness - Wick

LonnyBoy Guest

Default Thanks

That's him.

Would there be records about WILLIAM or his ancestors and their descendents?

If there's relatives there I'm coming over to say G'Day!

LonnyBoy Guest

Default Names

Should that read that WILLIAM MANSON married ELIZABETH COGHILL?

That's him.

Would there be records about WILLIAM or his ancestors and their descendents?
    The only records of ancestors will be births and marriages in the parish records.
    Most of these are recorded in the IGI at http://www.familysearch.org
    Descendants can be traced with census records and birth, marraige and death registrations.

You could try the Caithness Family History Society at http://www.caithnessfhs.org.uk/

Should that read that WILLIAM MANSON married ELIZABETH COGHILL?
    It was spelt Elisabeth in the parish records, names were often spelt differently depending on who was doing the writing.

Default Family History In Caithness

If you are visiting Wick it is well worth checking with the North Highland Archive based at Wick library http://www.caithness.org/community/m.../nha/index.htm
    They encourage people to deposit copies of there family history research to pass on to other folk if it happens to coincide in any way.
    There are also people in the county who will do paid family history research if you can afford it. The North Highland Archive will also do research on your behalf and will give prices on request.
    Sara Jayne Donaldson is a professional researcher and her web site is at http://www.caithnessroots.co.uk/ Sometimes a researcher can find out quite lot in a short time depending on how much basic information you care able to provide to start them off.
    But the cheapest weay is to do your own research and much of it can done online for the UK
    the General Register For Scotland web site has huge resources online now and for modest payments you can get a lot of information and order copies of old birth and marriage certificates. My daughter has managed to do quite bit of research and order up items very easily from this web site about our family.
    Check it out at http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/

Good Luck with the search