Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could have a new name what would it be and why

Talking If you could have a new name what would it be and why

If you have the choice of re naming yourself what would it be and why.

This is quite a funny thread as I had this conversation with a orger just yesterday My first name is Elizabeth and when I started primary school a there were 5 other Elizabeths or I was one of 5 cant really mind
    so any one with a second name was called that its the only time I have seen my mum annoyed by anything and demanding a answer by the teacher as to why !!
    probably something to do with the new young Queen and a common name at that time or My Mums name and grannys on both sides just got pulled up for that thanks S
    Last edited by Anne x; 05-Jul-08 at 23:10.
    Its nice to be nice

Anne, my experience was similar but different. My first name's Esther -they go back in my Mum's family to the 18th century at least! I was named after my auntie Essie, who was also my godmother -she was named Esther with her middle name Sinclair after her grandmother, and so on back. My family's full of Esthers, Essies, Ettas and Etties!

I was never known as Esther tho' - always Angela, until I changed school in primary 2 and there was already an Angela in the class.

I had to be called Esther, and for the next four years, until I moved to another school, I was Esther at school and Angela at home....

It was quite a relief when at the age of 10 there was just one of me again and I'm quite happy with my name.

What is it wi people callin their children by their middle names up there? I too am called by my middle name and it is quite frankly a right pain!

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    What is it wi people callin their children by their middle names up there? I too am called by my middle name and it is quite frankly a right pain!
    It is a pain. My son-in-law's similarly afflicted, as is his father....you'd think folk would learn and not do the same thing to their kids!

Apart from my passport and driving licence I've long managed managed to kill off that Esther wifie...she's just not me! I feel a bit better about her now that I've discovered what an old family tradition it is, but I'm afraid to say that Esther Rantzen made me feel worse!

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    I found this out while reaserching my family tree. 40 years till I found out my Aunt Sadie was in fact Sarah, an Aunt Agnes was Nessie, an Catherine was Peggy lord Im confused againnnnnnnnnnn and there was about another 5/6 that were known as something else lol

I love my name so I wouldnt change it

Poor old you angela - lol! Yep I don't feel like my first name at all - but ok with my middle one!

Studley McMuffin.

I think it suits me.
    If life gives you lemons squeeze the juice into a water pistol and shoot people in the eyes with it.

Dunno about the name Lord F but I am likin that avatar better - LOL!

Toboggan to the end.
    It's all downhill from here , so appropriate methinks.

I was called after my Caithness granny.......Margaret.........of which, like Angela, there were umpteen in my class in school................but the three children in my family were all called by our middle names at home anyway.......because my mother thought that our middle names were less liable to end with nicknames or pet names, so I was Nancy at home.........and that was my school name as well.

Being a tomboy, when I found out that I had been called Nancy after my father's sister who died young, and whose name was Johanna Grace (Grace=Nancy), I refused for years to answer to anything other than Jo(e).

When I was a teenager I wanted to change my middle name to its Welsh equivalent, Lleucu, but my Pa wasn't a Welsh speaker so called me Flaky for a fews months until I gave up on the idea. Parents, huh!

I'm Joseph Thomas ..?.. VII, named after my uncle-a name that goes back to 1870. Have to say though, when tracing my family name, came as a bit of a shock to see my own name on a gravestone in N.E.Scotland.

Think I'll change it to something a little less common.

Francis Closeby.
    Last edited by joxville; 06-Jul-08 at 10:02. Reason: Punctuation

Cool There are millions of names in the world

I hate when children are named after their parents. It causes no end of confusion and they are always referred to as junior or their named altered in some way, such as the father being called William and the son known as Billy. My ex wanted to call his first son "John" after him. Told him this was bordering on arrogant and not going to happen as his father was already called John. There are millions of names in the world so why keep using the same one over and over. My dads family were the same, the first born son was Donald and the second Colin, needless to say I have numerous relatives with these names....very confusing when writing family trees.

When I was little I hated my unusual name and wanted to be called "Wendy" as this was the alternative name my parents had for me before I was born. I now like my name and it goes along well with my new surname, from my second marriage.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

I agree totally mccaugum - being named after people is what middle names should be for! That is what we did with our two children - there first names are totally new to the family - all their own!

in a square thing made of bricks. Oh, it's called a house! lol

I'm ok with my name, apart from my mum calling me Lindy instead of Linda. I spent most of my teenage years refusing to answer to anything except Linda.

My oldest son was named after his father/grandfather etc. This was my choice; even though I split from his dad before he was born, I was still close to the grandparents, so decided to carry on the family tradition, more out of respect for my nearly-father-in-law. There has never been any confusion about which Andrew we were talking about, and we never shortened the names or called my son junior or anything. I referred to my son as 'my Andrew', his dad as 'your Andrew' and the grandfather as 'big Andrew' (simply because he was head of the family and a large man!).

My middle son was named Marc, not after anyone, but because I wanted a name that couldn't be shortened. (Andrew is Andy to his mates and it drives me nuts!). His middle name is Ryan, simply because I liked it.

My daughter was named Sophie because I liked it, middle name Catherine because I liked it. After I named her, I found out from my mother-in-law that her aunt was called Sophia and her grandmother was Catherine! So, without realising, I had actually named my daughter after family members! A bit spooky that!

On the subject of spooky - someone once told me I don't look like a Linda. When I asked what name I looked like, she said Sophie! I laughed and told her my daughter is called Sophie. And just a week ago, someone called me Lucy. When I asked why, he said because he thought I looked like a Lucy and he'd forgotten I was actually Linda. Again, I laughed; Lucy is my middle name! So, maybe I should have been called Sophie Lucy, or Lucy Sophie?
    Last edited by armanisgirl; 06-Jul-08 at 12:12. Reason: spelling mistake

I've had so much trouble with my family tree because of this.

Great Aunt Vic = Ursula Victoria
    Aunt Nancy = Ursula Anne
    Great grandad = Alfred... Nope. William Albert

That's just a few, they were all at it. To top it off there's a long line of Alfred Williams and William Alfreds

I'm Emma, named after umpteen members of our family, I've long since given up turning around when I hear someone calling my name because 9.9 times out of 10 it's another Emma they're calling.

I always wanted to be called by my middle name, Kathryn (it was almost picked for my first name) and for years I managed to get people to call me it, but my husband won't call me it. So that's that plan stuffed
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    If you have the choice of re naming yourself what would it be and why.
    Chris P. Bacon.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Hubby says he wants to be called Max Power
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Here are some of my also known as in my family tree which gave me grief trying to figure out their Sunday names researching records.

Cybil or Sybil (Isabella)
    Cennie (Alexandrina, Alexina)
    Nancy or Nan (Annie)
    Cissie (Mary Bella)
    Peggy (Margaret)
    Essie Janet)

Lots of ettas and inas with male names i e Hughina, Henrietta, Williamina, Robertina, Georgina and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast