Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should text type speed writing be outlawed on this forum?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 57.33%
  • No

32 42.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A distinct lack of controversy...(so ban text-speak)

i said no to banning it, but....only if used in moderation on here. the likes of LOL, IMO, stuff like that would be okay?
    i do use my mobile to text a lot, but try to keep the txtpsk to there.
    it's a sair fecht

I've been in chat for too long so these days i am a master of txt spk typo's and acronyms. And you cant say that its an age thing as i'm 51 lol
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

what makes me cringe is when some of us Weegies type in the Glesga dialect and you can end up with something like this.

a cannae get ma heed roon wit awe'ra fuss is aboot

I see that in chat alot and for some of my aussie friends i have to translate lmao and I can find it tough to read it lol

cringee it geeze me a pure riddie man lmao

Default thoughtless?

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Well said Tiggs - yep people should think before they rant and rave - get the true picture!
    Some people do, and those who immediately claim such people wish to 'impose their superiority' upon others reveal a distinct inferiority complex. I'm not better, nor worse than anyone else in this forum, but I do know how to express myself in the appropriate way, dependant upon the place.

And why choose 'rant and rave' this is another classic example of over-reaction. Personally, I neither ranted, nor raved. Merely picked up an issue that has troubled me and opened it up for wider debate. It seems the very action of doing so compromises some narrow thinking folk so much they either feel they are demeaned , be-littled or subjected to 'a rant and a rave'

Before anyone accuses me of having a narrow outlook, which do you believe to be the narrower...the English language and all it's glories,
    transposed onto the written page, or cu l8ter m8.?

If you have to think about this one too long I give up.

[quote=Angela;403935] Let's stick with the rules we do have and outlaw rude, offensive posting, but otherwise let folk express themselves as they wish to....

....I'm a trained proofreader..... anywhere quote]

First point: Too many people are 'offended' at the drop of a hat, and anyway these posts are often the best, funniest and merit the most replies. So long as personal verbal attacks are avoided I quite like being 'offended' not that it happens often. Next time will be the second.
    Nobody has the right not to be offended.

Second point: Did you answer one of those ads. in the press? 'Proofreading' is one of those areas that seems instantly accessible.I've often wondered if the hundreds who answer the ads. ever make much money out if it.

Please do not answer, I don't want to offend with a personal question - I'm just musing out loud.

Texting as it is called is ok for those that use it as for me when someone sends me a text message it has to be still spelled out so that I can follow what they want from me otherwise they don`t get an answer.... sometimes the might as well have typed it in russian its the the same as hiding your tel nr no number in display no answer its as simple as that in other words they are showing no respect to the reader as he/her has to decipher it as for spelling mistakes ok they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    I don't mind reading a short text message on a mobile phone but I hate when its used on here. What makes text-speak even harder to understand is the total lack of punctuation. The younger generation of texters don't have as good a knowledge of punctuation as the oldies and as for their spelling well its atrocious. Texting allows them to disguise this and develop their own personal "language". How many folk send a text back to someone saying "You've text spelt that wrong? Whatever happened to being able to spell, using proper punctuation and having legible writing as part of the English language? Is it a case of we have turned into a lazy society?

Oh dear Venture. How ironic, that in the very part of your post that bemoans the lack of punctuation, you appear to have missed out 6 commas!

percy have to agree with you, Mobile phones,are fine if need help,to phone and speak , as for text messages on org ban there use got my vote,sorry for agreeing with you ,think that is a paradox,as your are looking for debate,

Leave text speak for cell phones, there is no need for it on the forum. I know that a lot of people are not good at spelling but I'd rather see them make an attempt than take the easy way out which just seems to be defeatist, at least by trying they may actually improve. As for the others that use it, claiming it's quicker, I just see them as lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post

First point:
    Nobody has the right not to be offended.

Second point: Did you answer one of those ads. in the press? 'Proofreading' is one of those areas that seems instantly accessible.I've often wondered if the hundreds who answer the ads. ever make much money out if it.

Please do not answer, I don't want to offend with a personal question - I'm just musing out loud.
    You don't want me to answer? Please do allow me to satisfy your curiosity on this point.

No, I didn't answer an ad in the press! All my working life I've been involved in books -as a librarian, selling new and second hand books, and in publishing, as an editor and proofreader. Nobody working 'in books' makes a great deal of money, but for most of us it's a way of life we love. Being mostly self-employed, I've turned my hand to whatever book related work presented itself to keep the pennies coming in...or indeed, to other things.

To go back to your first point - I've afraid I don't understand what you mean by 'nobody has the right not be be offended'. Do you mean people do have the right to feel offended? or that people have the right to offend others?

I can find some posts absolutely maddening and totally disagree with the views being expressed, but at the same time respect the poster and admire his/her style. I'm not offended by them! I was referring to the Org rules regarding personal attacks and unwarranted rudeness, which we really don't see all that often.

I just don't see any need for a rule forbidding text speak. How would that work anyway? Would those of us that like to use the occasional LOL or TBH be slapped on the wrist for doing so?

Or will percy's posse be riding to round us all up?
    Last edited by Angela; 05-Jul-08 at 19:40.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    Oh dear Venture. How ironic, that in the very part of your post that bemoans the lack of punctuation, you appear to have missed out 6 commas!
    Ah DeHaviLand you forgot to mention the missing apostrophe. At least I had all the full stops and capital letters. Which is more than can be said for the texters on this forum. Feel free to check my posts anytime. You obviously enjoy it.
    Last edited by Venture; 05-Jul-08 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Ah DeHaviLand you forgot to mention the missing apostrophe. At least I had all the full stops and capital letters. Which is more than can be said for the texters on this forum. Feel free to check my posts anytime. You obviously enjoy it.
    Did I mention where you failed to close the quotation? Good job I didnt pick on Bobbyian's post.

And you're right, I do enjoy your posts. Just dont let it go to your head.

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    Did I mention where you failed to close the quotation? Good job I didnt pick on Bobbyian's post.

And you're right, I do enjoy your posts. Just dont let it go to your head.
    You, pick on people? I never would have believed that of you.

I promise to try and practice what I preach from now on.

Using texting lingo here on the org is totally different to educators accepting it in exams..................... Two different debates here, me thinks!!
    When ordinary folks start talking about 'banning' it seems a bit ott.
    What is important is that we communicate and if we learn a new way to do that, it must be good. Texting is here to stay.........evolution of language, se la vie.................

I think this thread is going to make people paranoid when they type on here now incase they've shortened any words, spelt any words wrong, missed out punctuation etc. Can't we just get on the way it was before? I saw no problem in it and I've never come across any posts that can't read. Maybe some people are slow typers and don't want to type words out in full as it would take them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Some people do, and those who immediately claim such people wish to 'impose their superiority' upon others reveal a distinct inferiority complex. I'm not better, nor worse than anyone else in this forum, but I do know how to express myself in the appropriate way, dependant upon the place.

And why choose 'rant and rave' this is another classic example of over-reaction. Personally, I neither ranted, nor raved. Merely picked up an issue that has troubled me and opened it up for wider debate. It seems the very action of doing so compromises some narrow thinking folk so much they either feel they are demeaned , be-littled or subjected to 'a rant and a rave'

Before anyone accuses me of having a narrow outlook, which do you believe to be the narrower...the English language and all it's glories,
    transposed onto the written page, or cu l8ter m8.?

If you have to think about this one too long I give up.
    OK percathaurus wind yer neck in! (Or are you a more squat dinosaur - I have not checked my "Girl's Own Book of Dinosaurs" before typing?) Where did I mention you ranting and raving? Yes, I could have used a less over the top phrase and for that I apologise. I just agreed with tigger that people should not pounce on others' errors so readily that is all.
    BTW I was enjoying this thread until you pounced on me!

or is it more the fact to wind some people up, belittle them for having differing views, slowly turning it into a slagging match where the intitial topic is lost and the only way some feel fit is to personally attack the other ?

oh well here we go again,

Firstly, I think all those that cannot spell should be rounded up, blindfolded and shot. There is no room on this forum or any other for semi-literate youths that pretend that the shorthand text they use on their mobile-phone, is a new form of the written English language when in fact it is nothing more than a benchmark as to how stupid they all are. Scotland, this great nation of ours, prided itself on having the best Education system in the world but where are we now? If ignorance is bliss then the majority of our teenagers must be very happy indeed.

There are some people who seem to be getting a wee bit carried away with themselves with comments directed to the young and perhaps less literate..................surely the fact they are coming to the org could turn out to be a learning experience for them....spelling, grammar etc.......don't bully others with your words.....

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    There are some people who seem to be getting a wee bit carried away with themselves with comments directed to the young and perhaps less literate..................surely the fact they are coming to the org could turn out to be a learning experience for them....spelling, grammar etc.......don't bully others with your words.....

I was going to say something very similar myself but decided I wouldn't unless people kept on saying these things. There seems to be many comments here directed at the young ones on here and I don't think it is very fair that this is done.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast