Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should text type speed writing be outlawed on this forum?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 57.33%
  • No

32 42.67%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A distinct lack of controversy...(so ban text-speak)

Default A distinct lack of controversy...(so ban text-speak)

Something is missing from this forum these last few weeks.
    A good argument is hard to find. Call it debate if you want but it adds up to the same thing - dissent and brimstone.
    I'm strugglin' for summat controversial to bother you with.
    Owz about knives...or compulsory leg breaking for drug addicts or some such sharia-like option.

Agreement , dull acquiescence and back slapping is all very well, but it's disagreement that gets us all going.

I'd welcome a rule to ban the use of text type speech in this forum.
    The people who organise this site must surely themselves despair at the intrusion of such an economic style of communication. It's all very well on a one inch square plastic screen when brevity is de rigueur, but this forum is for people who can put in a bit of effort, and use the Queens (ooeer) English (oooeerr).
    We should have a vote...now, there's an idea.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 04-Jul-08 at 22:56. Reason: Helen W ;-)

Default Yep!

It demeans the language. It's indicative of a lack of patience, a lack of consideration for the reader and people who can 't get their words out quick enough...many of which ain't worth reading in the first place.
    A real 21st. century phenomenon that threatens to diminish us all if it's not kept in it's place - - the mobile phone...a device I wish had not been invented.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 04-Jul-08 at 21:00. Reason: two eyes in diminish !

or is it more the fact to wind some people up, belittle them for having differing views, slowly turning it into a slagging match where the intitial topic is lost and the only way some feel fit is to personally attack the other ?

No real harm in it for text messages and such-like. I doubt if it will ever replace the written English language so your fears are unfounded in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by TBH; 04-Jul-08 at 21:51.

Text typing is exactly that, for sending texts. When you have the time and space to type/write correctly then do so. Its really a no-brainer.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    or is it more the fact to wind some people up, belittle them for having differing views, slowly turning it into a slagging match where the intitial topic is lost and the only way some feel fit is to personally attack the other ?
    No. And of course you're free to ignore it. As is everyone else.
    Make me look like a fool if you like, stirring the pot over things that don't matter.

Well, I believe this one does. We shall see.

I won't take off in a fit of pique if it's ignored.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 04-Jul-08 at 22:08. Reason: for a moment I was caught up in the modern vernacular

gr8 m8 sez u. fyi ur rite, txt spk no fnk u.
    Take a hundred lines:- "The word is INFRACTION not INFARTION"

I think shorthand text messages should be kept where they belong. For mobile phones and other such mediums it is a necessity due to constraints of time but it should never be used on a forum where it would just constitute laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    No real harm in it for text messages and such-like. I doubt if it will ever replace the written English language so your fears are unfounded in my humble opinion.
    Sorry already happening...from a newspaper article "The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) said the use of phrases like "2b r nt 2b" or "i luv u" in exam papers would be allowed as long as candidates showed they understood the subject." so what hope do we have?

I don't understand the need to do it on the forums for two simple reasons...
    1. A QWERTY keyboard is much easier to type on than a mobile keypad
    2. A forum post has a much bigger limit on characters than a mobile text
    This therefore begs the question why would anyone CHOOSE to use text speak instead of typing in full?

Default Queen's English?

I may be wrong here but what we are taught is Oxford English or so I was brought up to believe.
    Quite agree about text abbreviations being used in every day language but then again mobile phones are the curse of society so perhaps that's where the brimstone that was mentioned comes into being.

I said yes. I agree with TBH in that it probably (and hopefully!) won't replace the written english language, but I think it should be used in text messages only. I just tend to skim over posts written in text-speak. I am sure that some of the posters have intelligent things to say but if they can't be bothered to write/type it correctly then I don't waste my time reading it.

Percy in the space of 2 minutes you have made the cardinal sin of a duplicate posting. And a duplicate of your own post, to boot

gotta say i hate texting....never do it ....takes me too long .....yes ban it thats what i say....
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Maybe if folks wern't jumped on for their gramatical and spelling errors then they wouldn't feel the need to use text talk
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Talking

Just had another thought, how about the cost to the taxpayers for RSI as a result of all that texting?
    Should texting be categorised with dangerous activities as it can seriously damage your health.
    Sorry to meander of the subject but thought it might provoke a little controversy!

Quote Originally Posted by brokencross View Post
    Sorry already happening...from a newspaper article "The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) said the use of phrases like "2b r nt 2b" or "i luv u" in exam papers would be allowed as long as candidates showed they understood the subject." so what hope do we have?
    Mere words cannot describe how ridiculous that is. I fear what they will come up with next.

Quote Originally Posted by brokencross View Post
    gr8 m8 sez u. fyi ur rite, txt spk no fnk u.
    Pardon?.................
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

LOL spot the dinosaurs - only kidding!!! Yep I agree text speak should be kept for texting. I do find it difficult though to type properly after using the chatroom as abbreviations are used there to keep the flow going. I even find myself, when writing letters, etc, having to stop myself using LOL and such - I am afraid it is just an evlolution of language as I think was mentioned in a thread on a similar vain. I am also with TBH on this one - the written English language will surely never die!
    Last edited by wifie; 05-Jul-08 at 02:17.

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    LOL spot the dinosaurs - only kidding!!! Yep I agree text speak should be kept for texting. I do find it difficult though to type properly after using the chatroom as abbreviations are used there to keep the flow going. I even find myself, when writing letters, etc, having to stop myself using LOL and such - I am afraid it is just an evlolution of language as I think was mentioned in a thread on a similar vain. I am also with TBH on this one - the written Enlish language will surely never die!

I totally agree I once answered a text with LOL to content they thought Id lost the plot and was sending lots of love it was my Boss at the time

I agree with TBH we should never allow our language to die
    Its nice to be nice

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast