Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hospital acquired Infection.

Cuddlepop, what a year you've had -- it seems like it has been one challenge after another. Your son is very lucky to have such a strong woman for a mother. I hope life starts to smile on you all and the road ahead becomes easier to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    Cuddlepop, what a year you've had -- it seems like it has been one challenge after another. Your son is very lucky to have such a strong woman for a mother. I hope life starts to smile on you all and the road ahead becomes easier to travel.
    We were brought up to believe that God would only give you as much as you could take and it would all be for a reason.
    This year I think he's forgotton where the off switch is.

I must admit that this year has seriously tested me and at times I've felt swamped.
    This forum does help and I want to thank you all for your kind words and wishes.

My son has a battle on his hands that only he can win .All I can hope for is that he has my familys determination to let nothing and no one beat you.
    He's back in surgery to continue the stretching process of the skin,which unfortunatly is more painfull that the clean outs.
    Anasthetic is really wearing him out.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

CP, it's always so hard for us mums to think of our children (no matter how old or grown up they are) suffering in any way and not being able to take the pain away. As other posters have said, your son is very fortunate to have you as his Mum and I'm sure that your strength will help him get through this...and I hope that he too will find strength he didn't know he had until now.

It's time that whoever's in charge of things realised you've passed all your tests with flying colours and gave your family a break!

Very best wishes, as always,

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    CP, it's always so hard for us mums to think of our children (no matter how old or grown up they are) suffering in any way and not being able to take the pain away. As other posters have said, your son is very fortunate to have you as his Mum and I'm sure that your strength will help him get through this...and I hope that he too will find strength he didn't know he had until now.

It's time that whoever's in charge of things realised you've passed all your tests with flying colours and gave your family a break!

Very best wishes, as always,

Angela
    Thank you.
    Now to you think we could organise a wrecky to discontinue the edurance test.?
    Last edited by cuddlepop; 10-Jul-08 at 20:29.

It's not easy being a parent and watching from the sidelines as your child takes his lumps. The good news is...he will get through this and probably learn from it. Hang in there CP.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    We were brought up to believe that God would only give you as much as you could take and it would all be for a reason.
    This year I think he's forgotton where the off switch is.

I must admit that this year has seriously tested me and at times I've felt swamped.
    This forum does help and I want to thank you all for your kind words and wishes.

My son has a battle on his hands that only he can win .All I can hope for is that he has my familys determination to let nothing and no one beat you.
    He's back in surgery to continue the stretching process of the skin,which unfortunatly is more painfull that the clean outs.
    Anasthetic is really wearing him out.
    The ray of hope that shines is that they are going on with the skin stretching........sounds awful but, sounds good too.....they must be confidant the infection will be beat.........lots of love winging its way to you.

I suppose what we have to accept is that we will never discover where the infection came from.One part of it is a common bacteria that we all carry on the surface of our skin ,the other is best described as "old faeces".
    Somehow the two got together and started the "cooking" process.
    Incubation is usually 4 to 5 days which would tie in with the initial accident and surgery and the reaction after the fall.Which incidently the hospital is blaming for the stiches bursting.

We tend to think the infection caused the stiches to burst.
    Where the infection came from well thats the million dollor question.?

I have been ready this post everyday since first posted over a week ago. My god, I cannot believe it. I feel so so sorry for your son CP, bloody heartbreakin, then you have to go in being all positive to him but cracking up inside. What a mess. I do hope that he gets some light soon, and you too can relax eventually. Best wishes to you all. x
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    I have been ready this post everyday since first posted over a week ago. My god, I cannot believe it. I feel so so sorry for your son CP, bloody heartbreakin, then you have to go in being all positive to him but cracking up inside. What a mess. I do hope that he gets some light soon, and you too can relax eventually. Best wishes to you all. x
    He's had a better day today.Wasnt in surgery for long,mainly to put a splint along is arm to keep his fingers upright and renew the cast.

appetite back and all his mates are taking in "doggy bags".

Thumbs up

That's good news CP; things are looking up if his appetite is back. Let's hope it is start of a good recovery.

great news if the 'doggy bags' are going in..............sounds as if your son is beginning to mend.
    It'll be all those possi vibes from the Org......Soon you will have time to show yourself some compassion and rest and it's important you allow yourself to be kind to yourself.

I suppose what we have to accept is that we will never discover where the infection came from.One part of it is a common bacteria that we all carry on the surface of our skin ,the other is best described as "old faeces".
    Somehow the two got together and started the "cooking" process.
    Incubation is usually 4 to 5 days which would tie in with the initial accident and surgery and the reaction after the fall.Which incidently the hospital is blaming for the stiches bursting.

We tend to think the infection caused the stiches to burst.
    Where the infection came from well thats the million dollor question.?
    So it seems the original infection may not have been "hospital acquired" after all. How did the accident happen? Could the glass have been contaminated? It takes such a minute amount of bacteria nicely bedded in to create the most awful infections. Unfortunately bacteria are invisible and even the most experienced "medic" cannot second-guess what may be present. I expect your son would have had antibiotic cover with his first surgery, as that is pretty routine.
    Time and youth make great healers though, and I hope he will make good progress and surprise you all. Good luck

Yes it may not have been hospital acquired, staph aureus is a bacterium which lives on the skin, in even a simple cut this is what can cause an infection if these staph aureus gets into the wound.
    It is very unlikely to be MRSA (often known now as multiple resistant staph aureus now due to the number of antibiotics it is resistant to) since as has been mentioned they would have used barrier nursing but also because vancomycin is often the drug of choice and flucloxacillin would have no effect on this.
    Anyway I just want to wish all the best to your son for a fast and good recovery.

CP,
    dont let the hospital fob you off with jargon and by looking like they are doing all they can.....
    i had a very bad experiance in Glasgow AFTER the birth of my daughter, in the end i discharged myself and went home.... get to the bottom of it and before you leave the hospital request a copy of the hospital notes, if they wont give you a copy go to your sons GP as they are obliged to get it for you to have a look at...
    there has to be something said when a small problem like this gets out of hand.
    i been reading your posts and keeping up with this thread and i am truly shocked, but am praying along with everyone else on the org that the outcome is good for your son

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    So it seems the original infection may not have been "hospital acquired" after all. How did the accident happen? Could the glass have been contaminated? It takes such a minute amount of bacteria nicely bedded in to create the most awful infections. Unfortunately bacteria are invisible and even the most experienced "medic" cannot second-guess what may be present. I expect your son would have had antibiotic cover with his first surgery, as that is pretty routine.
    Time and youth make great healers though, and I hope he will make good progress and surprise you all. Good luck

What we found suprising is that no antibiotic cover was given after the first operation.They assumed as it was a glass cut it would be clean.
    One of the bugs can be found after surgery though.

Like I've said we'll never know but it looks like it was "hospital required" either through the op or in the neglect of action taken.

What we found suprising is that no antibiotic cover was given after the first operation.They assumed as it was a glass cut it would be clean.
    One of the bugs can be found after surgery though.

Like I've said we'll never know but it looks like it was "hospital required" either through the op or in the neglect of action taken.
    It is usual for antibiotics to be given after a surgical proceedure, the fact this didn't happen and someone assumed the wound to be clean, is down to neglect on the part of the hospital....no matter what way you look at it. They have done wrong by your son in leaving him at risk in this way.

No questions should be left unanswered....keep on asking them and gather up your proofs.....it may help to prevent something similar happening to another.

Hang in there. The strength you have found from within, after all that you have been and going through... will stay with you for a lifetime.

My nephew had his appendix removed at Raigmore earlier this year. He was given no antibiotics in hospital, despite asking about them as he remembered his uncle coming back from his surgery in Edinburgh with Co-amoxiclave.

Nephew`s wound became infected and burst, despite the best nursing care from his partner who is a theatre nurse. Seems Raigmore policy is to wait and see if an infection occurs,, then do the antibiotic treatment.

Glad your son is doing ok Cuddlepop, and you take care of yourself.

Make sure you have kept a diary and any paperwork you can get for the future in case you are able to make a claim.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Just a quick up date on my sons progress.
    Unfortunatly my Oh and myself came down with some sort of tummy/cold virus so havent been to see himself over the weekend.Its best if we stay away just now no matter how much i miss him.

Today my son goes under for the 9th time to continue the stretching process of the skin.yesterday the doctor on duty took the cast off and made my boy take a good look at his arm.Its a mess with a 2inch wide gap upto his elbow either side of his arm.reality has struck home and he now knows how lucky he was not to have lost it and how long he's going to have to stay in hospital

Hopefully because he is young the skin will heal over and he wont require a skin graft.

Hope you and your OH are on the mend. You did the right thing staying away and getting yourself well, but it must be so hard when your son is so far away.

It is amazing what perseverance will do towards healing wounds. My OH had major surgery twice at the same site at the top of his left leg. Within three days of leaving hospital he started to drip pale blood from the base of the wound and the trickle just would not stop. He was rushed back to theatre and had a massive blood clot removed, but it left him with an open wound 8" long and 2" wide. He was told it would probably never close and in time wound probably need to go to London for skin grafting. With the help of our GP and the Consultant I was able to have whatever supplies were needed to dress the wound in a sterile environment, gloves, normasol solution etc., no problem.....it took SIX months, and many tears but the wound has healed with only one tiny puckering of the skin which looks like an old whitehead.

Never say never.

Hope things continue to improve for you all.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Youth on your sons side and hopefully all contues to improve without the need for grafts.........Hope your bug is leaving but take it easy and keep smiling, even if you don't feel like it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast