Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hospital acquired Infection.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cuddlepop Staph Aureas is MRSA........hospital will be at fault there........... the other infection Necrotizing Fascitis is a bacteria that thrives without oxygen and will have got into the deep tissue...........I don't know what is happening with the medics now... they seem to have lost the plot altogether..... Hopefully your son is strong and hardy and makes a quick recovery....keep us posted as you will be worried sick...... and remember talking is good.

cp, I do hope your son's improving and you have good news for us?

A crumb of comfort in his case - if you're young and fit when you go into hospital, you have a much better chance of recovering from any infections.

Not such a comfort for the old(er) and sick(er) of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    cp, I do hope your son's improving and you have good news for us?

A crumb of comfort in his case - if you're young and fit when you go into hospital, you have a much better chance of recovering from any infections.

Not such a comfort for the old(er) and sick(er) of course...
    Clarification required: When do you stop being 'young' ?

How is he today cuddlepop?
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 05-Jul-08 at 14:23. Reason: missed a space - and there's a proofreader about ! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Clarification required: When do you stop being 'young' ?
    Fair question, percy, but I don't know the answer.

I do think it's the combination of being older and chronically ill in the first place that makes people more susceptible to infections and then makes it harder for them to recover from them.

I'm middle aged and was ill enough to be taken into hospital for non-surgical treatment before I contracted infections while I was there. It didn't help that I proved to be allergic to a number of antibiotics.

Younger people do recover more quickly from most illnesses or operations. I was told it would take much longer to recover from my spell in the ICU than it would a 20 or 30 year old.

Having said that, I don't believe that an otherwise healthy middle aged person going into hospital for elective surgery is more likely to have any problems because they are, say, over fifty!

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    Cuddlepop Staph Aureas is MRSA........hospital will be at fault there........... the other infection Necrotizing Fascitis is a bacteria that thrives without oxygen and will have got into the deep tissue............
    Staph aureus has different strains. MRSA is one strain. It stands for Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus. This strain is more common in hospitals.This strain is also carried by normal healthy people living in the community.These people are known as carriers of MRSA.

MRSA is not always infective. If it is in carriers it does not require treatment.

My understanding is, if your son is not isolated then probably he hasnt got MRSA. He is probably suffering with a different strain of Staph aureus for which he is getting the treatment in form of Flucloxacillin. Metronidazole is being given for anaerobic infection. Ask the doctor/ nurse next time you are on the ward

Staph aureus is a bug which produces pus.

[quote=Alice in Blunderland;404036]Staph aureus has different strains. MRSA is one strain. It stands for Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus. This strain is more common in hospitals.This strain is also carried by normal healthy people living in the community.These people are known as carriers of MRSA.

MRSA is not always infective. If it is in carriers it does not require treatment.

My understanding is, if your son is not isolated then probably he hasnt got MRSA. He is probably suffering with a different strain of Staph aureus for which he is getting the treatment in form of Flucloxacillin. Metronidazole is being given for anaerobic infection. Ask the doctor/ nurse next time you are on the ward

Unfortunatly lastnight his temp peaked again and puss was ozing from is wound.
    Consultant has put him in a single room and wont be available to speak to us until Monday.
    My son is down in surgery just now and they will phone when he gets back up to the ward.
    We can see him outwith visiting hours too.

trying to get information from nursing staff is like pulling teeth.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Metronidazole had a very bad effect on me.
    I took it to treat an absess on a tooth.
    I felt dreadfully ill for two days.
    I hope he is reaction free.

You must be feeling exhausted!
    Good luck to him.
    Good to know the Consultant's 'clocked-off' for the weekend eh?

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Good to know the Consultant's 'clocked-off' for the weekend eh?
    Come on, percy, what's that supposed to mean?
    Yes, consultants do have weekends -does that offend you in some way?

cp, I really do feel for you. I know it can be very difficult to get any information at all from nursing staff. Do you know who your son's registrar or SHO is?

Consultants are seldom on the wards over weekends in my experience, but your lad won't have been abandoned.
    Last edited by Angela; 05-Jul-08 at 18:00.

[quote=Angela;404089]Come on, percy, what's that supposed to mean?

quote]

They should work a rolling week.Illness and sickness don't have weekends off. Or is flexibility just for us lesser oiks?

p.s. I've told you - I don't 'offend' - you overuse that word.

[QUOTE=percy toboggan;404138]
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Come on, percy, what's that supposed to mean?

quote]

They should work a rolling week.Illness and sickness don't have weekends off. Or is flexibility just for us lesser oiks?

p.s. I've told you - I don't 'offend' - you overuse that word.
    Some of them do work a rolling week, in A&E and ICU for instance, where there are more consultants because it's necessary for one to be present at all times. They still have to have time off, and in general it makes sense for consultants to take weekends off, because you don't get the elective surgery and other procedures over the weekend that you do during the week.

I don't think I do overuse offend, percy, but never mind, I'm happy to agree to differ.

I'm sure we will agree that the main thing is that cuddlepop's son makes a full and speedy recovery.

Default Hospital acquired Infection

Im so sorry to hear that he may never be able to go back to his job, is there anything that we can send, like magazines, paperbacks or sweets, i know when i was in hosptal in inverness for a month i was climbing the walls, we used to pass our papers around, but you must be finding it so expensive to keep taking things to him, please pm me and let me know what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Im so sorry to hear that he may never be able to go back to his job, is there anything that we can send, like magazines, paperbacks or sweets, i know when i was in hosptal in inverness for a month i was climbing the walls, we used to pass our papers around, but you must be finding it so expensive to keep taking things to him, please pm me and let me know what he likes.

Thank you Highlander thats a lovely thought.
    my son's not really into reading but will read autobiographys,heading for charity shops tomorrow.He loves playing his PS3 but with only one hand its rather difficult.He has an old mp3 player which i'll take in tomorrow.
    Patietline is a rip off but at least it gives him satalite tele/phone access and games.This time I know to buy the £10 package for the week.
    Have an appointment to see the consultant tomorrow at 10.30 ,so will write out my list of questions for tomorrow.
    If/when he has to have skin grafts will request Glasgow instead of Aberdeen,that way family can stay at my daughters flat.
    The £ signs are multiplying as we speak but what else can you do,unconditional love knows no monetary price.

Cuddlepop this story just seems to get worse as a saga of incompetence and, as you say, it will affect your son for life. I think I'd feel like keeping a diary and when your son is safely home again send it to Nicola Sturgeon.

NHS in Scotland is supposed to be better than England, or at least has wasted less money, but sometimes it feels as if we are in the 19th century.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Consultant was helpfull in respect of giving us a rough guide to my sons continued care in the hospital but would have to look into our concerns as to why it took so long for the bug to be identified and then where he was on the surgery list as far as other prioritys went.

The food is awful as a caterer I'd have been ashamed to serve that to an animal never mind a sick person.

My sons not long back from surgery and still feels awful so doesnt want to speak to his old mum.All he would tell me is that he's back down again tomorrow .Will just have to wait until my brother sees him and phones me.