Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music Thead Black Hole!

Uppiebalad Guest

Question Music Thead Black Hole!

Well is it just me or has the c.org Black Hole just swung it's way through earth's orbit and sucked in another thread. This seems to happen a lot in here whenever people get confronted with constructive advice and or critisism. Caithness people love to bury their heads in the sand when someone gives their true opinion.
    So I can play keyboard but I simply chosse to do other things. I have created music and songs many times in the past. I am active in the arts and my field covers all other interests. I work with amateurs and professionals in all creative persuits especially music, theatre, television and film. I'm not slagging any local musician, I'm asking them to show me original work which is what the common masses are looking for.
    Yes we all have a favourite song and like to bring our own slant to that which may be very good indeed but as the Boss said, they played covers for years and got nowhere. Cyanide want to get somewhere and I'm hoping they'll see what the truth is about their ambition. If they continue with covers their ambition will never be fulfilled.
    A Caithness audience is not a true audience because we are all very connected up here- family, friends of family, mates, mates' mates and people who fancy the band members. You have to be brave and ignore your personal opinion of your own work, just perform it and see but take it out of Caithness to a real audience.

I agree: nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just look at The Fence Collective - a bunch of acts and musicians clustered round the Fife area, who, coming from a small rural setting, play their own music and make the effort to generate their own scene. They are now featured in all the top music rags (Mojo, Q, NME etc.) and playing big venues. Take a look here and see what I mean: http://www.fencerecords.com/folks/fe...tive_intro.htm

Start your own label, form a collective with other bands. In short, do something... anything. If it gets up peoples' noses, fine. It doesn't matter, so long as it gets people talking about it.

Not so long ago, Caithness had a colourful, thriving - and highly original - music scene. Geography doesn't always have the last laugh. Get active.

Uppiebalad Guest

Thank you Pepsi. So there it is folks. Boss Hogg, Estrella and let's not forget Budha Crush all took their work out of the county and they are now making noticable footprints.

Default hhhhmmm

well, not every band who plays, plays to make it big,

for example, does every person you know who plays football or rugby play because they want to be the next BIG THING,

as far as me and my other band members are concerned we play, why, for fun, its a hobby, i do believe i am not the only person with these views,

and not just that, when it comes to music scenes, yeah, maybe caithness isnt the biggest, and though we have played out with caithness ourselves, i, personally again, am quite content as it is,

not to say your views are wrong, your opinions are your own, and you voice them, like everyone should, yet i feel it should be said the music scene here isnt all bad, well, not for us guys anyways

thanks for your time

fair enough Ben, thats cool that you wanna play covers, nobody is saying you have to try and make it big. What they are saying is why not try doing your own thing? why try and gain success on the back of other peoples work?

the way i'm dointi jsutnow is i'm tryign to get a band together to work with to play orignal material with K Dragon, and i am gettin together with a few other mates to put a band togther where wecan indulge a want to play songs we love byother artists, and who knows maybe if thigns go well enogh in covers band maybe we will start producign our own material later, but currently i just wanna play for the sake of gettin otu and jamming with other ppl, if soemkinda sucsess coes asa result i'll be honest i'm not gonna complain, btu mroe than anythign i jsut wanna play withother ppl,there is only so much we can achieve in our bedrooms jamming along to CD's

Im not in it to gain success off of other peoples backs (and i wouldnt really call jamming some covers in thurso gaining success)

Music is something i love, which you yourself jeid know all to well, and yes, i have done my own stuff, pretty much anyone who plays has done something or other, be it crap or good.

I just enjoy jamming, simple as that, no matter what it is, be it my own stuff or other peoples stuff, i dont do it for success, i do it, cause im good at it and because i can,

that pretty much sums it up

Uppiebalad Guest

I'm sure somewhere along the way I acknowledged that some people play music for fun and Duress are apparently in that way of things. That's fine, but my cut and thrust here is aimed at those who are of the intent to make it big.
    That local film group in Thurso make amateur films for fun but they haven't done any remakes of existing films even though they enjoy films massively. Their work is original with only the smallest exceptions being made in homage to notable films. That is something common in movies however. No copies just be inspired by!
    If you are not into success off other peoples' backs it's time to quit covers because you are known for playing other peoples work. Kinda hypacritical ain't it? Being a performer whether in music or theatre, whatever you automatically bring yourself to the attention of the masses because that is the nature of performance. If it is a hobby for ones own enjoyment perhaps it's best to keep it in the gargage. Why gig if you don't want to be some kind of success?
    In the general forum I spotted a quote at the foot of submissions by Porshipoo which reads, "do not go where the path may lead you, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail". Now that is a great philosphy.

Success, in my opinion, is dependent on how the author (performer, actor, writer etc.) measures it; and not upon how others view it. That said, you can play covers and turn it into something fresh and new. Take the band Dread Zeppelin for example - they play reggae versions of Led Zeppelin songs sung by an Elvis impersonator - Tortelvis, incedentally. Or how about Hayseed Dixie, who play hillbilly-bluegrass versions of classic rock tunes? A novelty, perhaps, still, there's always The Detroit Cobras, a garage-rock band fronted by women playing obscure 50s and 60s soul/blues numbers. In the latters case, it could be argued that the songs by the bands they cover will never be heard or appreciated by a wider audience, therefore, by changing the format in how they are presented not only keeps said music alive, but forms a new creation out of something old and long forgotten. That charms me.

On the subject of Hayseed Dixie, my own band - Controversial Negro - will be supporting them at the Garage, in Glasgow, on Sunday, January 29th. It's a Sold Out show - sorry folks. But hey, we'll be playing a song called 'Just Another Band From Atomic City', so Caithness - and Thurso in particular - won't be feeling entirely left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppiebalad
    I'm sure somewhere along the way I acknowledged that some people play music for fun and Duress are apparently in that way of things. That's fine, but my cut and thrust here is aimed at those who are of the intent to make it big.
    That local film group in Thurso make amateur films for fun but they haven't done any remakes of existing films even though they enjoy films massively. Their work is original with only the smallest exceptions being made in homage to notable films. That is something common in movies however. No copies just be inspired by!
    If you are not into success off other peoples' backs it's time to quit covers because you are known for playing other peoples work. Kinda hypacritical ain't it? Being a performer whether in music or theatre, whatever you automatically bring yourself to the attention of the masses because that is the nature of performance. If it is a hobby for ones own enjoyment perhaps it's best to keep it in the gargage. Why gig if you don't want to be some kind of success?
    In the general forum I spotted a quote at the foot of submissions by Porshipoo which reads, "do not go where the path may lead you, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail". Now that is a great philosphy.

i was gonna reply to Reev's post... but you bet me to it!

I have to say... I'm absolutely delighted by the level of interest being shown to original music in Caithness. Whether constructive or not it's great to see people discussing it. The more people interested in it the more chance Caithness has of developing a music scene again.

exactly that man.... we need a scene. i know a few people who are trying to get bands going but finding members is proving to be difficult

its gotten to the point that i'm so desperate to play in a band that i'll play with anyone doing any style of original material. I'd love nothing more than caithness to have a music scene. bands should get off their lazy asses and stop wasting undoubted talent playing covers all the time!

If you had stuff written jeid there'd be nothing to stop you from playing acoustic shows by yourself??? You could even do a wee half hour before an electric band went on. The more original music being played in pubs and clubs the more chance of the people of Caithness actually listening to it. Unfortunately we struggle against the mentality of if they don't know it then it must be rubbish, but that can be changed through alot of hard work and effort. As long as people continue to put on live original music in Caithness then this attitude can be changed.

sigh, i dont think im getting my point across here, nevermind, i am not here to have an arguement, we all have our opinions, thats fine,

but Jeid, ill disagree with you AGAIN, sigh "bands should get off their lazy asses and stop wasting undoubted talent playing covers all the time!" What on earth, how is it lazy if a band perofrms covers, its not lazy,

like i said before, thats what im happy doing, ugh, dude, its not laziness, its what i enjoy, if i wanted to do my own stuff on a serious level then i would do, but i dont, why? Cause i do what i enjoy, and what i enjoy is doing what i do now, its my "cup of tea" you could say

how is it lazy? let me think. you, dave, bones and moncur all have undoubted talent. I don't particularly like what your doing, but hey, opinions n all that. What i'm saying is, have you never wanted to try to do your own stuff publicly? If your gonna continue to do covers... fair enough, and i'm assuming thats the case. I just think your kinda putting your fine bass playing skillz to waste by playing songs that are hardly challenging.

I'd actually be quite interested to hear at least ONE.... yeah... 1 (one)... thats one less that 2 and 1 more than 0... original song by Duress. It would maybe make some people see if they can write and perform their own stuff.

rumour has it you have a couple of tracks written... why not play them?

its a challenge reev :P

Jeid..........gggggggrrrrrrrrr, yes a few stuff written, but not for this time

you just remember, when we first started we did Robs stuff, a challange eh, well, you will hear original material, not yet, but you will, challange eh,

get out Halo, deathmatch time, wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uppiebalad Guest

AHA! the tides of change, they are a sweepin in. Aparently I'm offending everyone in this forum yet above lies evidence of support for what I've been saying.
    For those of you who are feeling offended- stop- think- what I am asking of you is one simple thing. I want to hear your own work. How can you find this offensive.
    It is a compliment to be asked by the paying public to specifically demonstarte your skills through your own composition. It shows ultimately that I am very interested in your work.
    My dismay is that many of you seem intent on letting my music tastes down by playing covers. I'm a paying punter. When I go to a gig I don't want to hear someone doing a cover, I want to here something new and original.
    From the 1930s through to the early 1990s each decade produced thousands of outstanding works that took music in new and untravelled directions. For the last decade there are only dozens.
    We are in an era of over-re-hash. Sure there have always been covers but mostly it was all originality. The music loving public is desparate for that new direction in music to occur.
    The last five years has seen a dramatic rise in the number of 'real' bands due to advances in home recording and internet media access. There are some fantastic bands out there and some of our local guys have the nerve to go for it like Boss Hogg, Estrella, Budha Crush and Crimson Tide. Any one of these bands might suddenly break through and bestow upon the nation the next truely great song that becomes the must hear track for budding musicians of the next 50 years. But that won't happen unless you make an effort.
    At my peril I say that Seekers were chart toppers for years and they made music for the same reason as Duress- for fun.
    By all means play for fun.
    Anyone interested in playing for the punters/fans, line up here!

crazy chick Guest

at the end of the day it does nah matter if it is playing covers or your own stuff as long as you enjoy yourself.

Uppiebalad Guest

The point, Crazy Chick is not whether you enjoy yourself or not because if you weren't enjoying what you do you wouldn't do it. All artists get enjoyment out of their work whether they keep it in the back room or exhibit nationwide.
    The point that some of us share is for those who want to get somewhere. Doing it soley for yourself is rewarding but in wanting to make a mark you need to get a fanbase which you cannot get if you don't care if anyone else is interested. Every band that ever made it owes a huge dedt of gratitude to their loyal fanbase for supporting them over the years. If you don't have fans of any quantity (not including, friends, friends of family, family, friends' friends and those who fancy the band) you haven't made a mark. Can all those who are doing it for fun please leave and those interested in making a career of it stay back after class.
    So to get a fanbase you need to get out into the big bad harsh world that takes no prisoners. Here you will tell the crowd to listen because your music (no-one elses) is going to blow them away. Your music is the best, the greatest, you are gods of Rock & Roll (not the support act or cover band). Your work sets all trends, makes people stand up and listen and the people will speak unto heaven saying, "This is the sound we know and love and this sound belongs to ---------------------------------(insert your bands name here if you think it fits).

Don't be offended- BE INSPIRED!

Dude, it takes a lot to annoy me, but remarks like, "those doing it for fun please leave", i dont know if you play,

but if you dont want to see covers, DONT come to our gigs, you have your opinion fine, but that is something you should keep to yourself, ive been playing for years and am proud of my abilities and that of my fellow band members,

i have played in numerous bands, with members from boss hogg and estrella and many more, but if you dont care about cover bands, fine, too bad is all i can say, but thats where i end the line, youve pretty much made out that what we do doesnt count, well if thats the case, to bad for you, i know many a person who would disagree with your statement,
    Last edited by Reev; 07-Dec-05 at 23:36.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast