Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Music Thead Black Hole!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Uppiebalad Guest

Question Music Thead Black Hole!

Well is it just me or has the c.org Black Hole just swung it's way through earth's orbit and sucked in another thread. This seems to happen a lot in here whenever people get confronted with constructive advice and or critisism. Caithness people love to bury their heads in the sand when someone gives their true opinion.
    So I can play keyboard but I simply chosse to do other things. I have created music and songs many times in the past. I am active in the arts and my field covers all other interests. I work with amateurs and professionals in all creative persuits especially music, theatre, television and film. I'm not slagging any local musician, I'm asking them to show me original work which is what the common masses are looking for.
    Yes we all have a favourite song and like to bring our own slant to that which may be very good indeed but as the Boss said, they played covers for years and got nowhere. Cyanide want to get somewhere and I'm hoping they'll see what the truth is about their ambition. If they continue with covers their ambition will never be fulfilled.
    A Caithness audience is not a true audience because we are all very connected up here- family, friends of family, mates, mates' mates and people who fancy the band members. You have to be brave and ignore your personal opinion of your own work, just perform it and see but take it out of Caithness to a real audience.

I agree: nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just look at The Fence Collective - a bunch of acts and musicians clustered round the Fife area, who, coming from a small rural setting, play their own music and make the effort to generate their own scene. They are now featured in all the top music rags (Mojo, Q, NME etc.) and playing big venues. Take a look here and see what I mean: http://www.fencerecords.com/folks/fe...tive_intro.htm

Start your own label, form a collective with other bands. In short, do something... anything. If it gets up peoples' noses, fine. It doesn't matter, so long as it gets people talking about it.

Not so long ago, Caithness had a colourful, thriving - and highly original - music scene. Geography doesn't always have the last laugh. Get active.

Uppiebalad Guest

Thank you Pepsi. So there it is folks. Boss Hogg, Estrella and let's not forget Budha Crush all took their work out of the county and they are now making noticable footprints.

Default hhhhmmm

well, not every band who plays, plays to make it big,

for example, does every person you know who plays football or rugby play because they want to be the next BIG THING,

as far as me and my other band members are concerned we play, why, for fun, its a hobby, i do believe i am not the only person with these views,

and not just that, when it comes to music scenes, yeah, maybe caithness isnt the biggest, and though we have played out with caithness ourselves, i, personally again, am quite content as it is,

not to say your views are wrong, your opinions are your own, and you voice them, like everyone should, yet i feel it should be said the music scene here isnt all bad, well, not for us guys anyways

thanks for your time

fair enough Ben, thats cool that you wanna play covers, nobody is saying you have to try and make it big. What they are saying is why not try doing your own thing? why try and gain success on the back of other peoples work?

the way i'm dointi jsutnow is i'm tryign to get a band together to work with to play orignal material with K Dragon, and i am gettin together with a few other mates to put a band togther where wecan indulge a want to play songs we love byother artists, and who knows maybe if thigns go well enogh in covers band maybe we will start producign our own material later, but currently i just wanna play for the sake of gettin otu and jamming with other ppl, if soemkinda sucsess coes asa result i'll be honest i'm not gonna complain, btu mroe than anythign i jsut wanna play withother ppl,there is only so much we can achieve in our bedrooms jamming along to CD's