Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touring the West Coast - Advice please

Angela Guest

Default Touring the West Coast - Advice please

Hello People

I know this is a Caithness site but I knew you would all be very helpful!!

In July myself and my BF are doing a wee tour of the West Coast of Scotland, going round Ullapool, Lochinver and making our way up past Tongue etc, then back to Wick for the Gala of course! Any advice on where to go, any nice spots or places with touristy things to do etc?

Any advice would be ace

Cheers

A

Anonymous Guest

Angela, I would go a wee bit further South, and take in the Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, Lochcarron, then head up to Shieldaig then on to Gairloch and Poolewe. The scenery is stunning, would recommend that you just take things as they come, plenty of good places to eat and drink. You will enjoy youyrself.

I would go slightly south of that and spend a day or two exploring the Ardnamurchan Penninsula too. Sanna Bay, Glenborrodale, Arisaig mmmmmmmmmmm. Saw a golden Eagle fly over Loch Sunart once never forgotten it. This is my most favourite place in the world although i love it mostly in October.

Mind out for the midgies though Angela!!!

OOH Ange thats pure MIDGE country! You will be eaten alive! I hope your no campin!!
    Plenty of Avon So Soft or Jungle Formula. Why dont you go a trip to Skye too. It is suposed to be lovely

Default Best road

Lochinver to Point of Stoer then round by Drumbeg..that peninsula is one of the most beautiful places I have ever travelled with some marvellous beaches,fantastic views of mountains,sea and shore also some welcoming hamlets with excellent stoping places for light refreshment.Heck got room for one more on your travels? Wherever you choose you are sure to be awed ..have a great journey

You might want to go for a walk in to sandwood beach. It is about 4 mile walk and is one of the best beaches I have ever visited. check out these web pages

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mountains/sandwood.htm

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...e/sandwoodbay/

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...965500&A=Y&Z=4

and dont forget the midge repellant

Default TOURING WEST COAST OF SCOTLAND

ANGELA u have to go to ach melvich, just outside Lochinver, it is paradise, most beautiful beach, and also if u do go, there is a hidden beach when u climb over the rocks to the right hand side of the beach, also when u go to the left of the beach and climb up, u will find a small castle built by a hermet, he built it out of cement and shells, the story is he hid in it, in the second world war, i would love to go back there some day

trevor Guest

Default Touring West Coast of Scotland

Hi Angela
    If you go to Poolewe you could visit Cove. (Follow the road by the village shop to the coast). There is a memorial to the North Atlantic Convoys there and the scenery is stunning. Last time I was there I was lucky enough to see an otter in the bay.

Have a lovely time

Loch Maree is lovely. The hotel is nice and the food is excellent. The chef even took us out in the boat after lunch, it was loads of fun and beautiful scenery.

Achiltibuie in Wester Ross. Has the spectacular views back to the Assynt mountains but also out to the Summer Isles together with very friendly locals. Then carry on by Inverkirkaig to Lochinver and possibly Drumbeg and Storr.

Big contrast to the north coast east coast!

Visit Scourie.....the hotel there sells the real stuff....

Strathpeffer and Bettyhill are a must, then on to Skerray, beautiful views and lovely beaches.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

drum beg, lax ford bridge and scourie brilliant cant wait to go again

Give yourself plenty time,there,s loads of suprises up north.Landscapes are breathtaking they seem to mesmirise you.As Saveman said SCourie is a must they bay there was sandy and rocky just perfect for the dog..Armadale bay up north was just something else.No one was there when we visited but i cant imagine it'll get as busy as most tourist resorts.Smoo caves and Waligoe are other favourites.This is getting painfull ,want to go back nowwwww.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Head west

Better than that,.......drive to Ullapool, park the car up in the Latheron Car Park (outside Somerfield) walk down and onto the ferry The Isle of Lewis and head to the land of Heather, Milk and Honey - Eilean nan Fhraoich - Paradise. I am not long back (after a round trip to Eire) and wish I was still there! On the way back - you can take the coast round by Lochinver, Rhichonich, Durness and finally back to Caithness........

Sigh..............

WBG

I'm another that loves Scourie, their campsite is fab, its wonderful sitting at the tent door with a glass of red on a calm summers night as the sun sets across the bay, doesnt get much better than that.

The west coast route to the north is fantstic for scenery, and all the previous posters have sung their own praises, but none have warned you of the dreaded "Midgie" and the Caithness version is the most vicious, take plenty insect repellant, or Avon Skin so Soft moisterising dry oil, Mrs G swears by it.
    also see this link
    http://www.caithness.org/community/a...anon/index.htm
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

krieve Guest

I have just noticed this thread was started in june 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    I have just noticed this thread was started in june 2003.
    nearly 3 years later Angela gets the advice she was looking for

This has made me want to visit the west coast again. Plockton and Kyle area is stunning, I find it beautiful and peaceful, but then again so is Latheronwheel Harbour!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast