Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming pool funds

Default Swimming pool funds

Read in the groat about how the Wick pool is a community pool.
    In the article it stated that the community raised £30,000 towards the cost.(maybe it was a mis-print?)
    I remember being a kid and passing the Town hall in the 70's and 80's and seeing on the notice board how much the people of Wick had raised. I remember it being a rather larger figure than £30k.
    Maybe I missed something a few years ago, but what happened to that money? Hope someone can enlighten me, as I have asked a few people and they remember it larger as well but dont know what happened to it.
    Last edited by hotrod4; 24-May-08 at 07:40. Reason: silly me

As I understand it the figure was around £30,000 that had been collected many years before the pool was eventually built. The Highland council put in about £1 million and there were one or two other smaller funds also added such as the Wick Rotary. Maybe over the years the cost of the pool has been attributed to the funds raised rather than just an addition to the much larger council imput.

The collection had been going on for several years and then collections slowed down to a halt and the money sat in an account controlled by the late councillor Andy Murray and his committee.

Although the collections were porbably never going to be enough they probably did keep the project on someone's list of things to get done in Wick.

Now with things like the Hi-Life card for individuals and families you can swim in Wick at relatively low cost. the Hi-life card allows access to facilties all over Highland as well as your local one. The Aquadome in Inverness with its flumes and wave machine is great fun for the kids and you do not have to pay anything for entry if you already have the Hi-life card.
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 25-May-08 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    As I understand it the figure was around £30,000 that had been collected many years before the pool was eventually built. The Highland council put in about £1 million and there were one or two other smaller funds also added such as the Wick Rotary. Maybe over the years the cost of the pool has been attributed to the funds raised rather than just an addition to the much larger council imput.

The collection had been going on for several years and then collections slowed down to a halt and the money sat in an account controlled by the late councillor Andy Murray and his committee.

Although the collections were porbably never going to be enough they probably did keep the project on someone's list of things to get done in Wick.

Now with things like the Hi-Life card for individuals and families you can swim in Wick at relatively low cost. the Hi-life card allows access to facilties all over Highland as well as your local one. The Aquadome in Inverness with its flumes and wave machine is great fun for the kids and you do not have to pay anything for entry if you already have the Hi-life card.
    Thanks for the reply, but it still doesnt explain where all the money that was raised went.
    If it was public money that was raised by the public then surely there is a way where we can see the actual money raised etc?
    If you could furnish me with a way that I can see the "books" then that would put my mind at ease as I know it was alot more that 30k that was raised by the people of wick.
    As it was money raised by the public surely it is legal for the "public" to see the actual records?.
    its not the cost of swimming that I asked about its the wherabouts of the "kitty" that I am interested in!

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but it still doesnt explain where all the money that was raised went.
    If it was public money that was raised by the public then surely there is a way where we can see the actual money raised etc?
    If you could furnish me with a way that I can see the "books" then that would put my mind at ease as I know it was alot more that 30k that was raised by the people of wick.
    As it was money raised by the public surely it is legal for the "public" to see the actual records?.
    its not the cost of swimming that I asked about its the wherabouts of the "kitty" that I am interested in!
    You are quite correct to ask Hotrod4. Over a few decades under Highland Council in its various guises and name changes money was absorbed in igger but less traceable and less accountable pots. In Caithness we had many bequest made for pupils in schools in the county which just 'disappeared' as far as the public were concerned. now, of course, in some case the schools closed but that should just have meant that the equest followed the areas pupils to the school they were rezoned for at the time of closure. I was part of the fund-raising in Wick for a time for a swimming pool and I just do not know what was donne with the money.

We all know that Highland Council, better known as Inverness Council and surrounding area has drawn the life blood from the Highlands. No amount of protest from councillors will hide the fact that they enjoy travelling to Inverness getting their snouts in the trough. And of course shopping is cheaper and they do not need to buy fuel at Caithness prices!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    You are quite correct to ask Hotrod4. Over a few decades under Highland Council in its various guises and name changes money was absorbed in igger but less traceable and less accountable pots. In Caithness we had many bequest made for pupils in schools in the county which just 'disappeared' as far as the public were concerned. now, of course, in some case the schools closed but that should just have meant that the equest followed the areas pupils to the school they were rezoned for at the time of closure. I was part of the fund-raising in Wick for a time for a swimming pool and I just do not know what was donne with the money.

We all know that Highland Council, better known as Inverness Council and surrounding area has drawn the life blood from the Highlands. No amount of protest from councillors will hide the fact that they enjoy travelling to Inverness getting their snouts in the trough. And of course shopping is cheaper and they do not need to buy fuel at Caithness prices!
    Doesn't matter where they buy their fuel, they can claim it back in expense's. I'm surprised they don't use a taxi so that they are not stressed having to drive themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Doesn't matter where they buy their fuel, they can claim it back in expense's. I'm surprised they don't use a taxi so that they are not stressed having to drive themselves.
    In a sense you correct but actually it does matter where they buy their fuel. Any money leaving the county is a loss and, of course, money lost has an effect on the employment of people. The less well paid who have to work at the pumps must have a trunover to keep their jobs. I am not so concerned by the garage owners as those employed.

Just think about hoqw much money Highland Council employees and councillors spend in Inverness. Jobs are moving to the Inverness area all the time. Those salaries, amounting to millions in total, are paid and spent in Inverness. It is all money lost to the loal eonomy.

Cattach I always find it funny that in the days of video conferencing all these guys have to travel to attend meetings instead of doing from their local area A bit like Gordon Brown et all flying to the far east to tell us about global warming

PM

I guess it depends whether they have to claim the value of their petrol receipts or if they get a set mileage rate.

I don't think the rate for council employees covers cost of petrol anymore

Have we not lost this thread already. Mr Fernie side stepped the issue very nicely. The amount collected locally is not the issue. Mr Fernie's statement in the Jo'G Journal refers to the amount put in by Highland Council. He forgets that it is OUR money and he and his officials are there to manage it on our behalf. Just because it is considerably more than the voluntary contributions does not give them the right to pull rank.

I do feel this thread has moved away from the point.
    I am still waiting for someone (hopefully a councillor) to answer me where all the raised money went and how we as members of the public can view the accounts?

As councillors and council officials are answerable to the public why cant I get the info.
    Maybe it was used for another purpose without us mere mortals being consulted?

I wait with baited breath

Put a request to HRC quoting the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT about the funds if they do not answer you it can be reported to the Information commisioner.
    They have up to 28 days to reply to any request.

Quote Originally Posted by COACHMAN View Post
    Put a request to HRC quoting the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT about the funds if they do not answer you it can be reported to the Information commisioner.
    This is the link

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...ofinformation/

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    Would it not have been Caithness District Council then. HRC may well come back and say it was before Highland Council came into being so nothing to do with them. Just a thought.

Perhaps a bit off-post, but does anyone have any idea what's happened to the Wick Academy Development Fund? I contributed to this in the hope of seeing top-class sports facilities in Wick and they haven't materialised yet.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Perhaps a bit off-post, but does anyone have any idea what's happened to the Wick Academy Development Fund? I contributed to this in the hope of seeing top-class sports facilities in Wick and they haven't materialised yet.
    This link can let you see how much money is in the fund and who to get in touch with if you want any information.

http://www.oscr.org.uk/CharityIndexD...px?id=SC032787

Golly, the fund's earned around £20k a year! That means there's quite a bit of cash in the bank for the benefit of the inhabitants of Wick.
    Any idea of the type of endeavour which has successfully recieved money from this fund? Do they tend to dish out cash to sporting, youth-oriented or disabled groups?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Golly, the fund's earned around £20k a year! That means there's quite a bit of cash in the bank for the benefit of the inhabitants of Wick.
    Any idea of the type of endeavour which has successfully recieved money from this fund? Do they tend to dish out cash to sporting, youth-oriented or disabled groups?
    As far as I am aware no money has been paid out from the Development Fund to any local organisation. I certainly haven't heard of any or read about any in the local press. I thought the money was to be used to build a new sports stadium or something along that lines. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by COACHMAN View Post
    Thanks for that, have sent my request will post on here once i receive somthing back (hopefully )

A wee bit off topic but I thought this was quite interesting.
    Highland.Gov

Click the link at the top for the page in pdf format.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    I do feel this thread has moved away from the point.
    I am still waiting for someone (hopefully a councillor) to answer me where all the raised money went and how we as members of the public can view the accounts?

As councillors and council officials are answerable to the public why cant I get the info.
    Maybe it was used for another purpose without us mere mortals being consulted?

I wait with baited breath
    Sorry but I was not a councilor back when the Wick Swimming Pool was on the go. Is it over 10 years ago now? Tax records etc are normally kept for up to six years so you may be too late to get hold of any actual documents, copies of accounts etc even if they would have been held by an existing group.

I think you will find it was not the council that was collecting funds for a pool but an independent charitable group set up for the purpose. Someone may be able to tell you but I expect the charity was wound up by the committee once they handed over any funds in connection with the pool at or around the time it was being built. The council would not hold any documents relating to the collection of such funds. That was the responsibility of the charity and as they have long since ceased there may not be anyone around who has the details. The late Councillor Murray was the chairman as I understand it but I do not know who else was on the committee. I expect all council records will show will be exactly how much was handed over and what it was spent on but not any other details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast