Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: POlSON

kaylene Guest

Unhappy POlSON

I am tracing the family of Polson in the Caithness area.
    The Parents and kin of
    George Polson b Berridale Caithness abt 1825 (m Eddlestone 1849)Wilhilmina Angus b Thurso
    They came to NZ

In the 1841 Census information Caithness
    Shows a George Polson 50 army Pensioner
    Elisabeth Polson ( we think maybe Sutherland maiden name)55
    William Polson 20 Teacher
    these maybe the Parents??
    Grateful for any assistence.
    Kaylene

Quote Originally Posted by kaylene
    I am tracing the family of Polson in the Caithness area.
    The Parents and kin of
    George Polson b Berridale Caithness abt 1825 (m Eddlestone 1849)Wilhilmina Angus b Thurso
    They came to NZ

In the 1841 Census information Caithness
    Shows a George Polson 50 army Pensioner
    Elisabeth Polson ( we think maybe Sutherland maiden name)55
    William Polson 20 Teacher
    these maybe the Parents??
    Grateful for any assistence.
    Kaylene
    It looks very interesting, there is a distinct possibility, I don't think Elizabeth was a Sutherland but there are strong Sutherland ties.

First, the entry in the 1841 census is at Blackpark, which was just to the
    north of the Lybster Rumster road just below the turn off to Achow. In
    the 1841 census there is a George Polson 15-20 years living at Niand, Niend
    was one of two large farm houses built at the same time by the Sutherlands
    of Forse, a very well to do and titled family.

I don't think Elisabeth was a Sutherland, I think she was Elisabeth Paterson and married George on 11th Jan 1816 at Latheron, there were Patersons at Ellanmore close to Blackpark, that would tie in with the birth of William the 10th Sep 1817, George was born 19th Apr 1926. So the only mystery is why George was born at Berridale and that again suggests strong ties with the Sutherland family who also had the estate at Langwell.

adair polson-genge Guest

Fred wrote, "I don't think Elisabeth was a Sutherland, I think she was Elisabeth Paterson and married George on 11th Jan 1816 at Latheron, there were Patersons at Ellanmore close to Blackpark, that would tie in with the birth of William the 10th Sep 1817, George was born 19th Apr 1926. So the only mystery is why George was born at Berridale and that again suggests strong ties with the Sutherland family who also had the estate at Langwell."

George Polson's 1886 death certificate entry lists his parents as "Father - ? Polson, Farmer; Mother - Elizabeth Polson, formerly Sutherland". His place of birth is listed as Berridale.

I think I agree that Elizabeth was not a Sutherland. None of the evidence in the BDM records points to that conclusion. I can only conclude that the informant at his death had the facts confused, especially when the father couldn't be named.

Interesting however that George and Wilhilmina's second son was named John Sutherland Polson which pointed to that being the mother's maiden name.

Adair