Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird feeders

Talking

Go through about £6.00 a week feeding the little blighters and that's without the cake I make up from the scraps etc. from the kitchen!
    Yesterday was hanging up some fat balls for the blue tits when I headed the nut feeder which fell off, bounced across the lawn and ended up on the patio.Needless to say got no sympathy from the om who just laughed but although I gathered up most of the nuts, there was a rush as soon as I came inside, the collared doves and the wood pigeons had problems getting airborne!
    May be we should start a competition for the best / fattest birds!

I love my garden birds and always used to enjoy sitting in the garden on a nice day so that I could listen to and watch them. However, I have stopped feeding them since someone in the neighbourhood has new cats and these have been slaughtering the birds. Once I have secured my garden I shall put the feeders out again.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Rather than throw out the fat from chicken, sausages or bacon - Mr Foreman provides me with plenty - I transfer it to a frying pan. When it's just melted, I mix in loads of seed and when its all coated, press the seed mix into cups or yoghurt cartons. After a while in the fridge, they've hardened and I don't know if the birds prefer them but they disappear PDQ off the bird table.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12