Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Robertson/Sutherland Latheron

Default Robertson/Sutherland Latheron

Im interested in finding out about Robertsons or Sutherlands from Latheron. My Grandfather was George Burns Robertson from Latheron I have little or no information of any of his immediate family. I have recently learnt his mother my Great Grandmother was a Sutherland from Latheron. Id be grateful if anyone has any information at all of his family!

lots of Sutherlands and Robertsons in Latheron. Can you give us some info, dates etc.
    Tricia

Hi Tricia, all I know is my Grandfather would have been born probably late 1880s early 90s he died in WW1, thats all I know of him!

Perhaps you can find his death record on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk then you would have the name of his parents. Or even his birth record would be available online.
    What was his mother's first name? -Helen

Thumbs up

Thats brilliant htwood thanks a lot Ill have a look on there. I dont know his mothers first name all I know is she was a Sutherland from Latheron I assume married to a Robertson! A wander around Latheron cemetry may reveal something but then again there may have been a few Sutherlands married to Robertsons! Is your name Helen or were you suggesting that her name may have been Helen?

Phoenix, there are so many Sutherlands in Latheron parish that no one could begin to guess your grannie's name.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Thats brilliant htwood thanks a lot Ill have a look on there. I dont know his mothers first name all I know is she was a Sutherland from Latheron I assume married to a Robertson! A wander around Latheron cemetry may reveal something but then again there may have been a few Sutherlands married to Robertsons! Is your name Helen or were you suggesting that her name may have been Helen?
    Then wander round Latheron cemetery at http://www.graven-images.org.uk

I can't find anything relevant, there is an Alex Robertson married to a Sutherland in the New Cemetery but the dates don't add up. A George Robertson in the old cemetery died in 1845 might be related but it's a long shot.

There isn't a George Robertson listed on the Caithness Roll of Honour as being killed in WWI or a George Burns Robertson on the British Wargraves site.

http://www.internet-promotions.co.uk...ll/rollofr.htm

http://britishwargraves.org.uk/

htwood thanks a lot! I have found them on that link you gave me....I found my Grandads birth and his parents marriage ...... his name was James Robertson and she was Catherine Sutherland:} They married in 1863 my Grandfather he was born in 1879. Thanks too fred Ive had a wander round the cemetry:} so far havent found anything. George Burn Robertson my grandfather...... I had an s on the end of Burn and there shouldnt be! He was killed at Lerwick and buried in a war grave there! Id be grateful for any other info now that I have names and dates such as how many brothers and sisters my Grandad had etc. or anything else about the family. Thanks a lot for the help I would never have known where to look!:} Its fascinating!

On that same website, scotlandspeople, you can search the census records for your family. The 1871 census might show you any children born to James & Catherine and 1881 would surely have your George listed. It would also give you a precise location of where they lived.

Likewise, you can now work backwards to find baptism records for James & Catherine because you have their age at marriage, which gives you approx birth year, likely in the OPR old parish records, which are very complete for Caithness.

Hi,
    Here is your family on the 1881 census.
    Hope this helps with your research.

Dwelling: Newlands
    Census Place: Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Source: FHL Film 0203401 GRO Ref Volume 038 EnumDist 10 Page 12
    Marr Age Sex Birthplace
    James ROBERTSON M 46 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Head
    Occ: Cooper & Crofter
    Catherine M. ROBERTSON M 39 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Wife
    Occ: Cooper & Crofter Wife
    James ROBERTSON U 17 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Son
    Occ: Cooper
    Catherine E. ROBERTSON U 15 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Daur
    Occ: General Serv
    John S. ROBERTSON 10 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Occ: Scholar
    William I.M. ROBERTSON 8 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Occ: Scholar
    Charlotte E. ROBERTSON 4 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Daur
    George B. ROBERTSON 2 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    Hi,
    Here is your family on the 1881 census.
    Hope this helps with your research.

Marr Age Sex Birthplace
    James ROBERTSON M 46 M Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Head
    Occ: Cooper & Crofter
    Catherine M. ROBERTSON M 39 F Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Wife
    Occ: Cooper & Crofter Wife
    From the IGI database at:

http://www.familysearch.org

Husband

JAMES ROBERTSON

Marriage: 28 MAR 1863 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

Father: WM ROBERTSON
    Mother: CATHERINE CALDER
    Wife

CATHERINE M. SUTHERLAND

Marriage: 28 MAR 1863 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

Father: JOHN SUTHERLAND
    Mother: ELIZABETH SUTHERLAND

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot htwood mary and fred........whod have believed it! Never knew about these sites now I can search away to my hearts content. Brilliant! Thanks again!