Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: "druggies"

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Seeing as you find other people's opinions on here re drug taking so funny maybe its time you read up on the facts about "cannabis" use amongst teenagers. I shall focus on teenagers as this seems to be the age circle you associate with.

What has made me really annoyed about some of the postings on here re smoking hash is the message it may be sending out to those still too young to have tried it. YET! I think it has to be remembered that not only adults browse this website.

Fantoosh you are doing a course on Child and Youth studies according to your profile. I imagine you wish to work with children in the future. You give me the impression from your posts that you don't think there is anything wrong with people who either smoke hash or take recreational drugs at weekends. Say for instance you were in a work situation and a teenager asked you is it OK to smoke a joint, what would your answer be? What are you being taught at college re the use of drugs amongst teenagers?

In the eyes of teenagers it might be cool to have a joint with your mates its what it leads to in the future that concerns me. You ask me what kind of stoners have I seen. Let me tell you Ive been around a lot longer than you and have seen more stoners than you ever will, the most recent are the ones on in years from being a teenager who now suffer from mental illnesses especially schizophrenia.

It is estimated that at least 10 per cent of all people with schizophrenia in the UK would not have developed the illness if they had not smoked cannabis, so there are thousands of individuals whose lives have been ruined by cannabis. The age of starting to use cannabis has been steadily lowering. It is now commonly taken at 15 and there have even been 12 and 13 year olds who have had to seek medical help due to their addiction.

Another point I'd like to make is that the traditional cannabis beloved and introduced en masse by Britain's Sixties youth, or hippy generation, isn't around any more. The amount of cannabis now grown and sold in the UK has risen significantly. New strains of cannabis such as skunk are being home grown under ultra-violet lights and dealers have been able to intensify the quantity of the chemical tetrahydrocannabidinol (THC) - a psycho-active compound that disrupts brain activity and distorts sensory perceptions. In short, the part that gets you high. A cannabis joint today may contain 10 to 20 times more THC than the equivalent joint in the 1970s. This results in feelings of euphoria and relaxation being soured by paranoia and memory loss. Significantly, teenagers whose brains are still developing are more sensitive to the sudden rush of THC into the brain. The drug has increased in strength but reduced in price making it more available to teenagers. Thousands of young people are in treatment programmes for skunk abuse and hospital admissions due to the drug are at their highest ever.

The skunk smoked by the majority of young people nowadays bears no relation to traditional cannabis resin - with a 25-fold increase in the amount of the main psychoactive ingredient, (THC), typically found in the early 1990s. Studies have now reported that those who consistently take large amounts of cannabis or skunk have an increased risk of later developing schizophrenia-like psychosis.

The people who are now in their twenties and suffering from mental illness started using less powerful cannabis eight to ten years ago. The "cannabis" teenagers are trying out today is much more powerful, skunk is an example.

Many people have this image of stoners as you call them being the happy crew who sit in the corner smiling and don't cause any trouble. I agree with them on that Ive seen many myself on a night out. You can spot them a mile off in comparison with those who are "high" on drink. Will they be as "happy" 10 years down the line? I very much doubt it.
    Very, very well put arguement...something a lot of people kinda ignore and sweep under the carpet is the strenght of "factory grown" skunk weed and the emerging coralation of proven related mental illnesses with young users.

It is estimated that at least 10 per cent of all people with schizophrenia in the UK would not have developed the illness if they had not smoked cannabis, so there are thousands of individuals whose lives have been ruined by cannabis. The age of starting to use cannabis has been steadily lowering. It is now commonly taken at 15 and there have even been 12 and 13 year olds who have had to seek medical help due to their addiction.

Seems well researched and am interested to know if you have links to these facts, as only research I have found SO FAR seems to state that people who were at risk of getting schizophrenia may have the chances increased from cannabis use. Nor was I aware that teenagers smoked skunk all the time I didn't think that was commonly available.

I have yet to find anything that says that cannabis definately causes schizophrenia except a loose link in cases of people who had risks of becoming schizophrenic anyway.

http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/sch...ia/a/potsz.htm

quote from above link

"If schizophrenia runs in your family, then you should avoid marijuana. If you react to marijuana with extreme paranoia or any schizophrenic-like symptoms you should also consider avoiding this drug. "
    Last edited by padfoot; 24-Jun-08 at 18:03.
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.

Seeing as you find other people's opinions on here re drug taking so funny maybe its time you read up on the facts about "cannabis" use amongst teenagers. I shall focus on teenagers as this seems to be the age circle you associate with.

What has made me really annoyed about some of the postings on here re smoking hash is the message it may be sending out to those still too young to have tried it. YET! I think it has to be remembered that not only adults browse this website.

Fantoosh you are doing a course on Child and Youth studies according to your profile. I imagine you wish to work with children in the future. You give me the impression from your posts that you don't think there is anything wrong with people who either smoke hash or take recreational drugs at weekends. Say for instance you were in a work situation and a teenager asked you is it OK to smoke a joint, what would your answer be? What are you being taught at college re the use of drugs amongst teenagers?

In the eyes of teenagers it might be cool to have a joint with your mates its what it leads to in the future that concerns me. You ask me what kind of stoners have I seen. Let me tell you Ive been around a lot longer than you and have seen more stoners than you ever will, the most recent are the ones on in years from being a teenager who now suffer from mental illnesses especially schizophrenia.

Another point I'd like to make is that the traditional cannabis beloved and introduced en masse by Britain's Sixties youth, or hippy generation, isn't around any more. The amount of cannabis now grown and sold in the UK has risen significantly. New strains of cannabis such as skunk are being home grown under ultra-violet lights and dealers have been able to intensify the quantity of the chemical tetrahydrocannabidinol (THC) - a psycho-active compound that disrupts brain activity and distorts sensory perceptions. In short, the part that gets you high. A cannabis joint today may contain 10 to 20 times more THC than the equivalent joint in the 1970s. This results in feelings of euphoria and relaxation being soured by paranoia and memory loss. Significantly, teenagers whose brains are still developing are more sensitive to the sudden rush of THC into the brain. The drug has increased in strength but reduced in price making it more available to teenagers. Thousands of young people are in treatment programmes for skunk abuse and hospital admissions due to the drug are at their highest ever.

The skunk smoked by the majority of young people nowadays bears no relation to traditional cannabis resin - with a 25-fold increase in the amount of the main psychoactive ingredient, (THC), typically found in the early 1990s. Studies have now reported that those who consistently take large amounts of cannabis or skunk have an increased risk of later developing schizophrenia-like psychosis.

The people who are now in their twenties and suffering from mental illness started using less powerful cannabis eight to ten years ago. The "cannabis" teenagers are trying out today is much more powerful, skunk is an example.

Many people have this image of stoners as you call them being the happy crew who sit in the corner smiling and don't cause any trouble. I agree with them on that Ive seen many myself on a night out. You can spot them a mile off in comparison with those who are "high" on drink. Will they be as "happy" 10 years down the line? I very much doubt it.

I am actually 22 years old in reply to your little dig.

Yes i do hope to work with children in the future. What makes you think from my post that i agree with taking drugs? I also know that if I agree with or take drugs I would not be able to work with children. So do you think that I would risk four years of hard work at college for that? My initial point was the fact that I disagree with people thinking they are better than others that decide to take drugs.

I am not agreeing with taking drugs, but I have never seen first hand the harm it can supposedly do as I have known many people who have smoked cannabis for years and years and are just as healthy and mentally stable as anyone else I know. It is the people who have abused magic mushrooms, ecstasy etc that are the ones who become schizophrenic from what i have witnessed. Three people that have become schizophrenic this way actually live on my street.

You say that teenagers may think having a joint is cool, but what about the fact that teenagers are bought drink, and encouraged to get drunk on their 18th birthdays? What message does that put across?

And in reply to your comment about the "stoners" that sit smiling in the pub. Bet they are causing no hassle. They might be depressed or whatever in ten years, but what problems are the drinkers doing to their bodies? And what about what they are doing while drunk, fighting/passing out, etc? You are highlighting all the problems with smoking cannabis, well there are just as many problems with drinking arent there? I agree you probably know loads more than i do about the topic, but from what i have seen/reseached through college and lived through I have always seen alcohol as more harmful. Which is why I drink and dont smoke cannabis? that makes sense haha
    At least no one will copy this signature

“Cannabis increases risk of psychosis in teens” is the headline in The Daily Telegraph today. Users of cannabis have a “higher average number of symptoms associated with a risk of psychosis”, the newspaper adds. The results of a study of more than 6,000 young people in Finland also suggests that teen users had a greater risk of the “prodromal”, or warning symptoms, of psychosis than older users
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/06June/P...psychosis.aspx

Nuff' said.......

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Another quote from that article

""Overall, this study points to an area that requires more research, but because of its design, the study does not prove that cannabis causes psychosis.""

Nuff said......

Psychosis is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality." People suffering from it are said to be psychotic.
    Sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Sounds familiar.
    Familiar to what???????

Quote Originally Posted by padfoot View Post
    Seems well researched and am interested to know if you have links to these facts, as only research I have found SO FAR seems to state that people who were at risk of getting schizophrenia may have the chances increased from cannabis use. Nor was I aware that teenagers smoked skunk all the time I didn't think that was commonly available.

I have yet to find anything that says that cannabis definately causes schizophrenia except a loose link in cases of people who had risks of becoming schizophrenic anyway.

http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/sch...ia/a/potsz.htm

quote from above link

"If schizophrenia runs in your family, then you should avoid marijuana. If you react to marijuana with extreme paranoia or any schizophrenic-like symptoms you should also consider avoiding this drug. "
    Cannabis screws around with people's heads, whether they like it or not all those that use it have some form of mental illness through it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Cannabis screws around with people's heads, whether they like it or not all those that use it have some form of mental illness through it's use.

The extreme paranoia or any schizophrenic-like symptoms shown in this thread makes me wonder if the Pro Illegal Use of Drugs Camp also should consider avoiding this drug. "
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Fantoosh View Post
    I am actually 22 years old in reply to your little dig.

Yes i do hope to work with children in the future. What makes you think from my post that i agree with taking drugs? I also know that if I agree with or take drugs I would not be able to work with children. So do you think that I would risk four years of hard work at college for that? My initial point was the fact that I disagree with people thinking they are better than others that decide to take drugs.
    You are hoping to work with the youth of the future based on a lie. Will you have a good old lol when someone voices a concern over cannabis use? Will you preach that to the kids, I don't think so.

I am not agreeing with taking drugs, but I have never seen first hand the harm it can supposedly do as I have known many people who have smoked cannabis for years and years and are just as healthy and mentally stable as anyone else I know. It is the people who have abused magic mushrooms, ecstasy etc that are the ones who become schizophrenic from what i have witnessed. Three people that have become schizophrenic this way actually live on my street.
    Nobody that is a long term user of cannabis can be claimed to be mentally stable. JUst because you have no experience of such matter doesn't mean it isn't a problem. You see nothing wrong in people smoking cannabis and yet you want to work with young impressionable minds, is that wise?

You say that teenagers may think having a joint is cool, but what about the fact that teenagers are bought drink, and encouraged to get drunk on their 18th birthdays? What message does that put across?
    18 is the legal age for consuming alcohol, anything else is illegal and no one would disagree with that.

And in reply to your comment about the "stoners" that sit smiling in the pub. Bet they are causing no hassle. They might be depressed or whatever in ten years, but what problems are the drinkers doing to their bodies? And what about what they are doing while drunk, fighting/passing out, etc? You are highlighting all the problems with smoking cannabis, well there are just as many problems with drinking arent there? I agree you probably know loads more than i do about the topic, but from what i have seen/reseached through college and lived through I have always seen alcohol as more harmful. Which is why I drink and dont smoke cannabis? that makes sense haha
    You choose to drink alcohol and not smoke cannabis, says it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    The extreme paranoia or any schizophrenic-like symptoms shown in this thread makes me wonder if the Pro Illegal Use of Drugs Camp also should consider avoiding this drug. "
    Very true Golach, Very true.

Posted by fantoosh - "but from what i have seen/reseached through college and lived through I have always seen alcohol as more harmful. Which is why I drink and dont smoke cannabis? that makes sense haha[/quote]"

Well you must be the only one it makes sense to. ha ha
    Last edited by Venture; 24-Jun-08 at 22:01.

Posted by fantoosh - "but from what i have seen/reseached through college and lived through I have always seen alcohol as more harmful. Which is why I drink and dont smoke cannabis? that makes sense haha
    "

Well you must be the only one it makes sense to. ha ha[/quote]

That was sarcasm

"

Well you must be the only one it makes sense to. ha ha
    Well Fantoosh, tell us how you think it acceptable to have such views and to have anything to do with impressionable minds???????

Well Fantoosh, tell us how you think it acceptable to have such views and to have anything to do with impressionable minds???????

I have explained on my last post that I do not agree with people taking drugs, what makes you think that i would encourage young kids to do so? I just dont think people have a right to think they are better than others that take drugs.

I bet there are plenty of teachers/carers that care and educate kids without pushing their own views and opinions onto them isn't there? Or is that impossible to do so? Children should be allowed to grow up with their own opinions without being forced to think the same as others. The same goes with teachers. Just because they want to teach children, does not mean that they all have to think the same and have the exact same opinions as each other. Just because a person has an opinion on something doesnt mean that they would encourage children to think the same, do you really think that I would walk about a classroom and say "oh drugs are ace, they do nothing to you, take as much as you like"? I know drugs are illegal and do harm, but I have only seen this from harder drugs, this does not mean that i will never come across someone who has been affected by smoking cannabis. There are reasons it is illegal, people wouldnt just make up problems that arise from smoking it for the crack. Jesus Im not stupid. So get off your high horse.

You choose to drink alcohol and not smoke cannabis, says it all really.
    What is that meant to mean?

I have explained on my last post that I do not agree with people taking drugs, what makes you think that i would encourage young kids to do so? I just dont think people have a right to think they are better than others that take drugs.

I bet there are plenty of teachers/carers that care and educate kids without pushing their own views and opinions onto them isn't there? Or is that impossible to do so? Children should be allowed to grow up with their own opinions without being forced to think the same as others. The same goes with teachers. Just because they want to teach children, does not mean that they all have to think the same and have the exact same opinions as each other. Just because a person has an opinion on something doesnt mean that they would encourage children to think the same, do you really think that I would walk about a classroom and say "oh drugs are ace, they do nothing to you, take as much as you like"? I know drugs are illegal and do harm, but I have only seen this from harder drugs, this does not mean that i will never come across someone who has been affected by smoking cannabis. There are reasons it is illegal, people wouldnt just make up problems that arise from smoking it for the crack. Jesus Im not stupid. So get off your high horse.
    I am not on a high horse whatsoever, I just think you are bit naieve, no offence intended, just an observation.

What is that meant to mean?
    It means that you actually take notice of the relevant, factual information that smoking cannabis causes mental illness, so you stick to alcohol, wise choice, lesser of two evils.

I am not on a high horse whatsoever, I just think you are bit naieve, no offence intended, just an observation.
    You may think i am naive, but maybe the case is that you may be old fashioned as the times are moving on?

It means that you actually take notice of the relevant, factual information that smoking cannabis causes mental illness, so you stick to alcohol, wise choice, lesser of two evils.
    That is not the reason I dont smoke cannabis. I dont smoke it for one, its illegal and two, it doesnt interest me in the slightest.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast