Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "druggies"

Quote Originally Posted by padfoot View Post
    why is it that quite a few people say druggies are stoners when we are talking about people bein addicted to drugs its like heroin smack stuff like that so the correct term would be out my face or summit like that not oooooh im stoned lets go rob someone you will hardly ever hear about someone dying from smoking too much pot or someone robbing somewhere because they were stoned and why because smoking dope makes you think there is no way im getting up to get something to eat even tho they have the munchies not lets go and rob someone for some money
    "Thesaurus: stoned

adjective

1. Stupefied, excited, or muddled with alcoholic liquor: besotted, crapulent, crapulous, drunk, drunken, inebriate, inebriated, intoxicated, sodden, tipsy. Informal cockeyed, stewed. Slang blind, bombed, boozed, boozy, crocked, high, lit (up), loaded, looped, pickled, pixilated, plastered, potted, sloshed, smashed, soused, stinking, stinko, tight, zonked. Idioms: drunk as a skunk, half-seas over, high as a kite, in one's cups, three sheetsintothe wind. See drugs/temperance.
    2. Stupefied, intoxicated, or otherwise influenced by the taking of drugs: drugged. Informal doped. Slang high, hopped-up, lit (up), potted, spaced-out, turned-on, wiped-out, zonked."

As you can see, there are many terms for describing intoxication. I don't think it matters too much which one we choose.

A guy I was at Uni with, did not like people using the term "stoned" to describe people who were drunk. He saw the term as solely referring to a state of intoxication brought on via the smoking of cannabis. As far as he was concerned, this was a far less vulgar activity than consuming alcohol and, therefore, worthy of it's own terminology.

I don't know whether cannabis users are all law-abiding citizens but I do know that many of its users claim that it is not a drug that leads to problems in the way that other drugs do. Not having used any drug other than alcohol, I cannot comment on the effects of it.

The point I was trying to make, is that many people seem to have the perception that drug users are those living at the sleazy end of society. This is clearly not the case. I would also ask if anyone on the forum can explain why it is that Doctors and Dentists etc can use a drug such as cocaine and not not seem to suffer the same problems as other users who are at a "lower level" in society? Surely, if the drug is addictive and the addiction leads to the addict's problems, then no-one will be immune to the addictive effect of the drug(s)?

you can have a problem with drink and not be an alocoholic, you can have a problem with drugs and not be a junkie, or a drug addict. Using drugs recreationally can lead to problems yes, but not for everyone who uses them. The same as not everyone who takes drugs, or drinks excessively has had a bad life. I would say most people take these things because it makes them feel good, they enjoy it....which clearly is going to be more appealing especailly as youve had a bad day, or bad few years.

Drug use become excessive due to tolerance levels becoming higher the more you use it, thus needing more, so therefore costing the user more, unfortunately the poorer cases resort to robbing grannies at knife point, stealing and lying and even selling thier bodies to get that hit. This is the extreme effects of drug use, and really considering the amount of people who DO use drugs, is the minority. But has also become the governments cover story when it seems to educating the masses about drug use.... which really is not very reflective of what drug use in this country.

I beleive the lot should be legalised, alcohol causes far more problems than most "illegal" drugs - no matter what is said , it has historically been abused and drugs and alcohol will continue to be abused until the human race is no more..... that has to be accepted,

Quote Originally Posted by weefee View Post
    I beleive the lot should be legalised, alcohol causes far more problems than most "illegal" drugs - no matter what is said , it has historically been abused and drugs and alcohol will continue to be abused until the human race is no more..... that has to be accepted,
    Right on!!!!
    He who is well off and can get a good supply of pure drugs can live as long as anyone. It is the fact that they are illegal which leads to the crime among the 'lower orders'. Heroin, I believe, costs about £2 per gram to make in a legal factory and it is pure. Give it to the addicts who can't or won't go clean, and the problems almost vanish. This would cost the Goverment almost nothing.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by weefee View Post
    you can have a problem with drink and not be an alocoholic, you can have a problem with drugs and not be a junkie, or a drug addict. Using drugs recreationally can lead to problems yes, but not for everyone who uses them. The same as not everyone who takes drugs, or drinks excessively has had a bad life. I would say most people take these things because it makes them feel good, they enjoy it....which clearly is going to be more appealing especailly as youve had a bad day, or bad few years.

Drug use become excessive due to tolerance levels becoming higher the more you use it, thus needing more, so therefore costing the user more, unfortunately the poorer cases resort to robbing grannies at knife point, stealing and lying and even selling thier bodies to get that hit. This is the extreme effects of drug use, and really considering the amount of people who DO use drugs, is the minority. But has also become the governments cover story when it seems to educating the masses about drug use.... which really is not very reflective of what drug use in this country.

Thanks for the excellent reply.

According to some "experts" certain drugs are more addictive than others. In a recent Horizon documentary, Heroin and Cocaine were listed as the most dangerous of the 20 most widely used drugs.

Full list follow by classification:-

The Top Twenty Most Dangerous Drugs According to BBC Horizon

1. Heroin A
    2. Cocaine A
    3. Barbiturates (Sedatives) B
    4. Methadone (Opioid) A
    5. Alcohol Legal
    6. Ketamine C
    7. Benzodiazepines (Sedatives)
    8. Amphetamine (Speed) B
    9. Tobacco legal
    10. Buprenorphine (Opioid) C
    11. Cannabis C
    12. Solvents Legal
    13. 4-methylthioamphetamine (amphetamine derivative) A
    14. LSD A
    15. Methylphenidate(Ritalin) B
    16. Anabolic steroids C
    17. Gamma 4-hydroxybutyric acid (depressant, “date-rape drug”) C
    18. Ecstasy A
    19. Amyl Nitrate (nitrite inhalants, “poppers”) Legal
    20. Khat (plant-derived stimulant) Legal (illegal in USA)

The team of scientists who compiled the list stated that Tobacco would be classed as category B and Alcohol as category A if they were to have arrived on the scene as new drugs today.

I also recall a Documentary from quite some time ago concerning drug "addicts" in Harlem New York. The drugs that were being used by the residents of the area were tested for purity levels. It turned out that the drugs had been cut so much with other materials they contained too little of the actual drug for it to be possible to become addicted to it. The scientists declared that it was not the drug that the users were addicted to but, instead, the way of life involved in obtaining it.

I tend to agree with legalising them all. It is clearly inconsistent that alcohol and tobacco are legal in the the face of the damage they cause and the violent behaviour that results in the case of alcohol.

On the news today it was stated that 28,000 crimes per year in Scotland are committed under the influence of alcohol. It is ironic that Scotland is complaining about the rising drink problem when one of its largest exports is whisky. Six people per day die from alcohol related illness.
    I was amused when reading the public profile of Lord F. whose opinions about druggies nauseated me who states that his main interests are girls and beer. Is he an addict?

Gleber2: "He who is well off and can get a good supply of pure drugs can live as long as anyone"

Wonder if Natasha Collins and Mark Speight knew that...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    I go back to what i said in other posts - Some people are strong and some arent. Some people are driven to succeed and others cant. A good and healthy society is surely one where the strong help the weak? Where successfully ovecoming adversity should lead to a "hey guys look what you can achieve if you try" rather than a "pull yourself together get a life you waster".

The attitude of Im better stronger and wiser than you so you should just pull your socks up is the sort of attitude that is to blame for the stigma attached to mental health problems. The pull yourself together attitude is of no use to anyone struggling through alcoholism , addiction or mental health problems. Its not helpful and just leaves people feeling worse than ever. Quite often drug and alcoholism go hand in hand with mental health issues - either as cause or effect. The idea should surely be that people who have survived a terrible childhood, a dreadful tragedy, an awful marriage breakdown, a dreadful bereavement, a traumatic stint in whatever conflict they have fought in should share with compassion and understanding those who are struggling to survive. Fortunately some people do indeed that, CRUISE, AA, SANDS and many other organisations take volunteers with those experiences and help others less able to weather the blows.

We are none of us perfect just some of us are stronger or luckier than others. Thats all
    Squidge i couldn't have said it better and i'm glad that you posted this. If everyone was to take on this attitude we might get somewhere. We are all different and it is all too easy to feel smug at the failures of others just because maybe we didnt choose to do this or that in life. The stronger ones are the lucky ones.

I absolutely hate the term 'druggie' i think it and any other derogative term used to describe a person comes a lot with ignorance. When i was at University i worked part time as a youth worker. Some of the things i heard and witnessed were pretty horrific and the majority of the time it came down to drugs. One of the boys i worked with, a quiet 16 year old who looked like the kind of person you would cross the street in order to avoid (he was always dressed in a hooded top, always looked unwashed with a hard look) would often come into the community centre with a few of his friends to hang out and play pool etc. He was found dead in the bottom of a stairwell in the block of flats that he lived in with his mother. He had taken a herion overdose. Because he was lying in the basement he went un noticed for a couple of days and because his mother was an alcoholic and a known herion addict she didn't notice that he was missing. I later found out that his father was in Jail, drug related again.

What made me feel really sad about this situation was listening to the other young people in the centre talking about his death and referring to him as a 'druggie' and a 'junkie'. When i think of him lying there the words sad, desperate and tragic spring to my mind not those terms. I used to feel really embarrased leaving that community at the end of a shift and getting on the bus to go back to my nice safe flat, my couchie job and even knowing that i had parents that always knew where i was and what i was doing because they were interested in my life and they care. If i had been in his situation and if i had his life i can honestly say that i dont know if i would have been strong enough to walk away from something that might make me feel better or even help me forget for a while.

I wonder how many people walked past him during his life and thought to themselves 'druggie' or 'junkie'.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Gleber2: "He who is well off and can get a good supply of pure drugs can live as long as anyone"

Wonder if Natasha Collins and Mark Speight knew that...
    Who are they? Anyone can overdose and kill themselves but those who can afford to support a habit usually know what they are doing and the drug is likely to be fairly pure. Poor addicts have to take what the street supplies and the strength can vary a lot leading to unpredictable dosage. Give the average junkie pure heroin and he or she is liable to overdose.

I've read both posts about 'druggies' and why I didn't post before was because of the word -druggie. Ok, I'm going to put my life on here because I feel strongly about this. I grew up in an abusive household. Most of my childhood was spent being scared. I didn't turn to drugs, and I'm so glad I didn't, but I did drink a fair bit to suppress the feelings I had. And yes, it helped. It blocked it out for a while. But the problems were still there and it's only now that I feel I've managed to put that part of my life in a separate compartment from who I am now. Drugs, drink, whatever, people turn to these for a million different reasons, and most do it in secret from their loved ones because they feel they can't talk to anyone or they feel totally unable to cope, or alone. When I think back, I could have so easily have taken a different route. I knew suppliers. I knew users. I don't really know the reasons for not going down that route, but I am so glad I didn't. But I have to say, labels don't help people. Only society can and a self-belief that you're worthwhile.
    cape locum et fac vestigium

I cant believe we have some liberal minded people who dont like the term "druggie".
    I am death against drugs,having dabbled in my youth, I know personally what they can do to you.
    So because I have dabbled in the past and stopped does that mean I get a GOLD STAR for being a good boy? Dont think so! I shouldnt have taken them in the first place, thats the only answer.
    Druggies are a drain on society and we all end up paying for it-indirectly. Its nothing to do with being a "strong" person its all to do with knowing right from wrong, if someone thinks of taking drugs show them the state of smelly Pete Doherty or wasted Amy Winehouse (singer not org member!) or for a great example look at Kurt Cobain, one of the most talented musicians of a generation who was so wasted he blew his brains out. Such a waste of human life. Drugs are not "trendy" and the likes of Pete and Amy have alot to answer for, with youngsters thinking "heroin chic" is cool, it certainly aint.The quicker the government is seen getting tougher on the likes of Pete, Amy and Kate moss etc then the quicker kids wont think its cool.

For a perfect example read the lyrics of "White Lines" by melle mel.
    Qoute :
    A street kid gets arrested, gonna do some time
    He got out three years from now just to commit more crime
    A businessman is caught with 24 kilos
    He’s out on bail and out of jail
    And that’s the way it goes

Athletes rejected, governors corrected
    Gangsters, thugs and smugglers are thoroughly respected
    The money gets divided
    The women get excited
    Now I’m broke and it’s no joke
    It’s hard as hell to fight it, don’t buy it!

Enough said

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    I cant believe we have some liberal minded people who dont like the term "druggie".
    I am death against drugs,having dabbled in my youth, I know personally what they can do to you.
    So because I have dabbled in the past and stopped does that mean I get a GOLD STAR for being a good boy? Dont think so! I shouldnt have taken them in the first place, thats the only answer.
    Druggies are a drain on society and we all end up paying for it-indirectly. Its nothing to do with being a "strong" person its all to do with knowing right from wrong, if someone thinks of taking drugs show them the state of smelly Pete Doherty or wasted Amy Winehouse (singer not org member!) or for a great example look at Kurt Cobain, one of the most talented musicians of a generation who was so wasted he blew his brains out. Such a waste of human life. Drugs are not "trendy" and the likes of Pete and Amy have alot to answer for, with youngsters thinking "heroin chic" is cool, it certainly aint.The quicker the government is seen getting tougher on the likes of Pete, Amy and Kate moss etc then the quicker kids wont think its cool.

For a perfect example read the lyrics of "White Lines" by melle mel.
    Qoute :
    A street kid gets arrested, gonna do some time
    He got out three years from now just to commit more crime
    A businessman is caught with 24 kilos
    He’s out on bail and out of jail
    And that’s the way it goes

Athletes rejected, governors corrected
    Gangsters, thugs and smugglers are thoroughly respected
    The money gets divided
    The women get excited
    Now I’m broke and it’s no joke
    It’s hard as hell to fight it, don’t buy it!

Enough said
    Do you think that the person who enjoys a glass of wine or a beer likes to be referred to as an alkie?
    Everything you have said regarding drugs can can be said in relation to alcohol. You smoke a fag or drink a pint and you are a druggie just as much as the illegal drug users. Drug users cost the NHS an awful lot less than nicotine and alcohol addicts/users.

The day I worry about 'druggies' is the day alcohol and its own problems have been eradicated first.

Reading through the thread, I suppose I must be a rarity, in that I had a 'rough; upbringing, being knocked out by my father at 12, my younger brothers earliest memory is of me being chased upstairs by my father beating me with his shoe, telling me I was useless.. no, I did not go down the road of depression and loss of self-worth but determined to prove I was 'better than him'..
    Ran off to the Army at 18, and made a fool of myself by imbibing too much alcohol - well you try drinking a tot from each bottle on a German Pubs shelves. Sod that for a lark, haven't touched a drop since. Never smoked either.
    I wanted a 'kick' or a 'high' is that what druggies call it? so put me name down for a free-fall parachute course, told as I was under 21 would need my parents permission. As this would be non-forthcoming I forged my mothers signature and went on the course anyway. Who needs to unscrew a bottle, or open a packet or whatever they do to get chemicals into their brains, just hang on that wing strut, feet three-quarters off the wing, look at the instructor and let go - that's adrenaline..

Can't swim, so how about kayaking 800 miles of the Rhine from Switzerland to Holland, going over Grade IV rapids, now that's a 'buzz' - ended up in the Guinness Book of Records for three years. No furtive sticking a needle in your arm, or snorting some stuff up your nose, or spewing up in the gutter and later saying "that was a great night we had there"..
    Try kayaking the English Channel in a force 7 without support; 8 hours 40 minutes later landing in Frogland, still a non-swimmer - bloody exciting! and not one pill either..
    Special Duties Northern Ireland 'nough said, but that most certainly gives one a 'kick' and all without a sniff of drugs or booze either..

Then there's the 'excitement' of being in a burning building when the floor falls in or the roof comes down - 11 years as a fire-fighter before getting too injured - sounds a bit sick, but I've got a total of just under four foot of scars which equates to a fantastic life of excitement (and a bit of pain) but well worth it and the satisfaction of not diving into a bottle or a syringe makes it complete.
    But a rejoinder.. It might be my genetic makeup as my 'lot' have always been adventurers, we might have been poor but we did not hang around... I fully accept that there are individuals who are unable to 'break out' because of abuse - my post is not about them, it's about the chattering classes and those who feel the only way to get 'excitement' is to go down that 'chemicals in the brain' route.. sad gits..

Oh yeah (today)'Alcohol and drug misuse means Scots are almost twice as likely as people south of the border to take their own life or kill, a new report has said'. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7452716.stm

I've been reading all the posts to this with great interest. Personally I think that alcohol is the most damaging drug around. I also believe that methadone doesn't work. I have a friend who has run lots of bars around Glasgow and a comment she once made always stuck with me. She said that in bars you will find 'smokers' and 'drinkers' and at the end of the night it's always the drinkers that are the problem, not leaving, fighting outside in the pavements and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Reading through the thread, I suppose I must be a rarity, in that I had a 'rough; upbringing, being knocked out by my father at 12, my younger brothers earliest memory is of me being chased upstairs by my father beating me with his shoe, telling me I was useless.. no, I did not go down the road of depression and loss of self-worth but determined to prove I was 'better than him'..
    Ran off to the Army at 18, and made a fool of myself by imbibing too much alcohol - well you try drinking a tot from each bottle on a German Pubs shelves. Sod that for a lark, haven't touched a drop since. Never smoked either.
    I wanted a 'kick' or a 'high' is that what druggies call it? so put me name down for a free-fall parachute course, told as I was under 21 would need my parents permission. As this would be non-forthcoming I forged my mothers signature and went on the course anyway. Who needs to unscrew a bottle, or open a packet or whatever they do to get chemicals into their brains, just hang on that wing strut, feet three-quarters off the wing, look at the instructor and let go - that's adrenaline..

Can't swim, so how about kayaking 800 miles of the Rhine from Switzerland to Holland, going over Grade IV rapids, now that's a 'buzz' - ended up in the Guinness Book of Records for three years. No furtive sticking a needle in your arm, or snorting some stuff up your nose, or spewing up in the gutter and later saying "that was a great night we had there"..
    Try kayaking the English Channel in a force 7 without support; 8 hours 40 minutes later landing in Frogland, still a non-swimmer - bloody exciting! and not one pill either..
    Special Duties Northern Ireland 'nough said, but that most certainly gives one a 'kick' and all without a sniff of drugs or booze either..

Then there's the 'excitement' of being in a burning building when the floor falls in or the roof comes down - 11 years as a fire-fighter before getting too injured - sounds a bit sick, but I've got a total of just under four foot of scars which equates to a fantastic life of excitement (and a bit of pain) but well worth it and the satisfaction of not diving into a bottle or a syringe makes it complete.
    But a rejoinder.. It might be my genetic makeup as my 'lot' have always been adventurers, we might have been poor but we did not hang around... I fully accept that there are individuals who are unable to 'break out' because of abuse - my post is not about them, it's about the chattering classes and those who feel the only way to get 'excitement' is to go down that 'chemicals in the brain' route.. sad gits..

Oh yeah (today)'Alcohol and drug misuse means Scots are almost twice as likely as people south of the border to take their own life or kill, a new report has said'. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7452716.stm
    Exactly, don't let the ******** get you down!

Get out and do something - make something of yourself. Everybody can point to something in their life that 'could' lead them to take drugs but why?

It does not solve the problem, its still there and anyway there cannot be a single person in the country that has taken drugs that does not know that they are harmful.
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    Drug users cost the NHS an awful lot less than nicotine and alcohol addicts/users.

And your evidence for this is?

On society in general would you rather meet someone with a few drams who is more likely to give you a cuddle, or a Smackheed who will put a knife in you and steal your money? Junkies cost more to society in general.
    I never said Alcohol wasnt bad it is when not used in moderation,I am just sick to the back teeth with people blaming everyone else for their drug use, its a choice and as Zammo and the Grange Hill mob said "just say no!"-Simple really

Not many people have become the victim of a crime instigated by an alchoholic looking for their next drink.

I'll not bother saying any more, I'm sure you can work out the rest for yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Not many people have become the victim of a crime instigated by an alchoholic looking for their next drink.

I'll not bother saying any more, I'm sure you can work out the rest for yourselves.

I think what you mean is addiction when the addict can't get what they want and has no access to their drug of choice.

Victims exist in all shapes and forms and even at the hands of so called sober/straight people.

I have read through both threads on the "druggies" and there are some pretty strong statements made by some, I just wondered out of curiosity how many on here have been the victim of these "druggies" how many have been stabbed/robbed or fallen victim in some other way.
    How many have actually had dealings with the "druggies", Or is your opinions just based by what we hear on the news and in the media ( cos lets face it they never get things wrong ) I am not saying that crime doesnt happen by drug users as i said i am just curious are to where all you opinions come from and how many have been actual victims.
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

...since this thread also includes (currently) legal drugs such as drink and ciggies I thought I would throw this one into the den of lions...

From reading the postings some people give the opinion that they couldn't care less about "druggies". The fact that someone is "hooked" on something is enough reason to persecute them in the eyes of some (no matter the reason for the addiction).

So what about grannies? Many old people are hooked on various forms of horse-kiling drugs. Admitidly they don't all go out in their hoodies and rob but they are hooked on these drugs...........should they also be treated with such disgust?

PS in no way do I advocate locking up your dear granny or grandad
    B’ fheàrr a bhith sàmhach na droch dhàn a ghabhail

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast