Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "druggies"

Are you suggesting that they are hooked on drugs that they have been perscribed by their GP due to medical conditions?

If this is the case then you can hardly compare the two situations can you.

Other than those perscribed for medical use everybody does have a choice as to if they take the drugs or not.
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

Quote Originally Posted by quirbal View Post
    Are you suggesting that they are hooked on drugs that they have been perscribed by their GP due to medical conditions?

If this is the case then you can hardly compare the two situations can you.

Other than those perscribed for medical use everybody does have a choice as to if they take the drugs or not.
    Yes I am saying that some people become hooked on pescribed drugs. It is also up to the individual whether-or-not they take the pescribed drugs.

I do compare the situations. As far as I can see no matter how the addiction started (pescribed, legal or illegal drugs) we should not be so quick to judge people and tar people with labels as "druggies". I would rather look at how we can help people rather than apointing blame as so many posters have done on this thread
    B’ fheàrr a bhith sàmhach na droch dhàn a ghabhail

Quote Originally Posted by benji View Post
    Yes I am saying that some people become hooked on pescribed drugs. It is also up to the individual whether-or-not they take the pescribed drugs.

I do compare the situations. As far as I can see no matter how the addiction started (pescribed, legal or illegal drugs) we should not be so quick to judge people and tar people with labels as "druggies". I would rather look at how we can help people rather than apointing blame as so many posters have done on this thread
    If someone is prescribed a drug by their GP it will either be for short term or long term use. Long term can often mean for the rest of your life. If someone is on a drug long term, they will be ordering repeat prescriptions. How can you say someone in that position is "hooked"?

Of course, everyone can choose NOT to take a drug but if it is recommended for the benefit of your health it would be folly to stop taking it. You could only describe someone as "being hooked" if they were taking MORE than the recommended dose, either in terms of amount in one sitting or exceeding the number times it is taken. Just how does a person obtain the required extra prescribed drugs? The computer system monitors the days between requested repeat prescriptions. It would be easy to spot someone who was going to the well too often. Are Grannies hitting the streets to get a supply from Thyroxine Tommy on the corner?

I am not disagreeing with your sentiment on labelling people here, I just don't think your scenario is very realistic in its attempt to compare prescribed drugs to illegal drugs.

just for clarity I am suggesting that some people become dependent on pescription drugs whether-or-not there is a medical justification for continuing to use them - to my mind that is being hooked - yet these people are not villified or called "druggies"

i think benji is more in mind of prescription drugs.. like pain killers and sleeping pills and the like. which thankully over here its no where near as bad as back home.
    and as for the question of who has lived thu it.. i have.
    i was rasied by an alcholic. its my mum (granny but had me since birth) she drank all my life. She was never abusive to me, but i lived in terror every day of my life. it was a case of is she going to spew and choke to death, am i going to be able to get her up today? who are these strange people in my house drinking? and unfortunatly that was the best parts. my real mum had great taste in men. her husband drank and did drugs. he would beat her and then once he sobered up beg for forgivness. when she was 7 mnths preg. with my youngst brother he broke her arm.. oopps sorry i forgot she "fell"
    once when he went into one of his drug induced rages as my brothers sat cowering on the couch trying to make theirselves as small as possible, he started in n her.. he threw her thru a wall.. she landed in the kitchen.. i jumped him.. all of 14 years old. and he picked me up and threw me on the couch.. and started towads me.. she jumped up and jumped on his back and started screaming for me to run.
    over and over he told her is she ever left him he would kill her, and truth, he prob. would have.
    he took his 5 and 4 year old children, to an armed robbery. they slept in the back of the car while he held up a convience store.
    he shot a man point blank in the chest 3 times.
    the day she finally was brave enough to leave him was the day that a drug deal went bad, and the dealers came and shot up the house.
    she was there with the three youngest children. and he left his wife and children took a sawed off shot gun and hid in the attic, while they screamed and cried down stairs.
    she took the matress off the bed, lay on top of the kids and covered them all with the matress to try to protect themselves.
    there is nothing nice about drugs. and an addict will do anything and i mean anything to do what they can to get thier fix. it dosent matter how much they love you. at the end of the day if it came between you and their drug of choice. your left behind every time.
    i never lived with them, and i thank God every day that i didnt go thru the nightmare my brothers did on a day to day basis. how they survived i dont know.
    but having lived the life i have lived. having seen what i have seen. and yes been under the peer presure to do drugs, ive never given in.
    ive never even smoked a cigarette. (cant stand the smell *yuck*)
    ive come out the other side, and thankfully im a stronger person for it. i didnt let it break me, but im very mulish like that. unfortunatly not everyone is, and i understand how people get caught up in the life. but at the end of the day when all is said and done. they all had a choice. and they made it.
    it dosent matter how many programs are out there. unless they want to be helped their is no help.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by benji View Post
    just for clarity I am suggesting that some people become dependent on pescription drugs whether-or-not there is a medical justification for continuing to use them - to my mind that is being hooked - yet these people are not villified or called "druggies"
    difference is that those on taking drugs because they are prescribed by their GP do it to have some sort of meaningful life, those who take them for other reasons do it to destroy their meaningful life.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Winston Spencer Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda the flump View Post
    difference is that those on taking drugs because they are prescribed by their GP do it to have some sort of meaningful life, those who take them for other reasons do it to destroy their meaningful life.

Have to agree because soemtimes when I'm in agony with my back the only thing that works is presribed drugs and they are totally addictive within sbout 2 days, legal drugs these are.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda the flump View Post

as I say "whether-or-not there is a medical reason"

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    I go back to what i said in other posts - Some people are strong and some arent. Some people are driven to succeed and others cant. A good and healthy society is surely one where the strong help the weak? Where successfully ovecoming adversity should lead to a "hey guys look what you can achieve if you try" rather than a "pull yourself together get a life you waster".

The attitude of Im better stronger and wiser than you so you should just pull your socks up is the sort of attitude that is to blame for the stigma attached to mental health problems. The pull yourself together attitude is of no use to anyone struggling through alcoholism , addiction or mental health problems. Its not helpful and just leaves people feeling worse than ever. Quite often drug and alcoholism go hand in hand with mental health issues - either as cause or effect. The idea should surely be that people who have survived a terrible childhood, a dreadful tragedy, an awful marriage breakdown, a dreadful bereavement, a traumatic stint in whatever conflict they have fought in should share with compassion and understanding those who are struggling to survive. Fortunately some people do indeed that, CRUISE, AA, SANDS and many other organisations take volunteers with those experiences and help others less able to weather the blows.

We are none of us perfect just some of us are stronger or luckier than others. Thats all
    Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa.

If you havent got the character to sort your life out then no one can do it for you .. End of.

There are three types of people in this life .. those that take the lead, those that follow the leader and those who stand by and watch all the while whinging that it isnt fair.

Your pyschobabble seems to indicate that those of us who get on with it are somehow responsible for making those who dont feel inadequate. I say this .. GOOD. If you want to have a good cry, blame someone or go on Jeremy Kyle and prove what a complete waste of oxygen you are while blaming everyone else for your own complete lack of personality, charisma, character and will to succeed then feel free.

More room on the highway of life for the rest of us who want to get on and dont feel we owe the bottom feeders a living.
    If life gives you lemons squeeze the juice into a water pistol and shoot people in the eyes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post

If you havent got the character to sort your life out then no one can do it for you .. End of.

There are three types of people in this life .. those that take the lead, those that follow the leader and those who stand by and watch all the while whinging that it isnt fair.

Your pyschobabble seems to indicate that those of us who get on with it are somehow responsible for making those who dont feel inadequate. I say this .. GOOD. If you want to have a good cry, blame someone or go on Jeremy Kyle and prove what a complete waste of oxygen you are while blaming everyone else for your own complete lack of personality, charisma, character and will to succeed then feel free.

More room on the highway of life for the rest of us who want to get on and dont feel we owe the bottom feeders a living.
    Goodness me you are an angry man arent you? Firstly let me correct your probably deliberate misunderstanding and belittling of my posts.

I did not say that you should get other people to sort your life out for you what i said was and here.... you might want to actually read this bit... i said that those of us who get on with it should help and support those who are struggling - by example perhaps or by listening or advising - however we can. No one can SORT someone's life out - they can only try to help whilst someone sorts their own life out. Also i never said that we owe anyone a living - i simply said that we can help people fulfill their potential and if we are strong survivors then we should try to do that.

Quite why you suggest my post is "psychobabble" i dont know. Its well known by everyone (except you I think) that telling someone who is clinically depressed or suicidal to " pull themselves together" is not always very helpful.That it can make people already struggling feel worse. I didnt need a sociology A level or a stint in the army to tell me that.

Fortunately there are a million types of people not simply three lets see how many others i can suggest

those that teach people how to follow the leader
    those that help people who cant quite catch up with the leader and the rest of the followers
    those that point the way to the leader when someone has got lost
    those who heal people who are to ill to care about following the leader
    those that explain to others what exactly it is that the leader wants someone to do who is following them

and on and on and on.

Tell you what Lord Flasheart -though quite where there is any heart in any of your posts Im not sure - You power on through life, walking over those who dont meet your exacting standards for "stiff upper lip" and "getting on with it" If you want to kick to one side the people that need a little help and laugh at those less fortunate than you - go on and do so. I hope with all my heart that when you need a little help, that you meet someone on MY wee list above rather than someone on yours.
    Last edited by squidge; 17-Jun-08 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    Do you think that the person who enjoys a glass of wine or a beer likes to be referred to as an alkie?
    Everything you have said regarding drugs can can be said in relation to alcohol. You smoke a fag or drink a pint and you are a druggie just as much as the illegal drug users. Drug users cost the NHS an awful lot less than nicotine and alcohol addicts/users.
    i would actually say that the dealers are the druggies. they are the scum who are making illegal money from peoples addictions
    . also its true that drug users cost the nhs less, however what tax is on waccie-baccie? the winos and smokers are at least contributing to their future healthcare.
    you dont look at the mantle when ur pokin the fire

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Goodness me you are an angry man arent you? Firstly let me correct your probably deliberate misunderstanding and belittling of my posts.

I did not say that you should get other people to sort your life out for you what i said was and here.... you might want to actually read this bit... i said that those of us who get on with it should help and support those who are struggling - by example perhaps or by listening or advising - however we can. No one can SORT someone's life out - they can only try to help whilst someone sorts their own life out. Also i never said that we owe anyone a living - i simply said that we can help people fulfill their potential and if we are strong survivors then we should try to do that.

Quite why you suggest my post is "psychobabble" i dont know. Its well known by everyone (except you I think) that telling someone who is clinically depressed or suicidal to " pull themselves together" is not always very helpful.That it can make people already struggling feel worse. I didnt need a sociology A level or a stint in the army to tell me that.

Fortunately there are a million types of people not simply three lets see how many others i can suggest

those that teach people how to follow the leader
    those that help people who cant quite catch up with the leader and the rest of the followers
    those that point the way to the leader when someone has got lost
    those who heal people who are to ill to care about following the leader
    those that explain to others what exactly it is that the leader wants someone to do who is following them

and on and on and on.

Tell you what Lord Flasheart -though quite where there is any heart in any of your posts Im not sure - You power on through life, walking over those who dont meet your exacting standards for "stiff upper lip" and "getting on with it" If you want to kick to one side the people that need a little help and laugh at those less fortunate than you - go on and do so. I hope with all my heart that when you need a little help, that you meet someone on MY wee list above rather than someone on yours.

Great post.

I was actually listening to Eagle Eye Cherry, Save Tonight at the same time as reading that post, and I could just imagine it being read out in a film with that song as background music. haha Not that that has anything to do with anything.
    Last edited by Fantoosh; 17-Jun-08 at 21:47.
    At least no one will copy this signature

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post

I still cant understand how you can actually have an attitude like that?
    Just shows how different people are really.
    At least no one will copy this signature

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    i think benji is more in mind of prescription drugs.. like pain killers and sleeping pills and the like.
    You cannot obtain prescription drugs without a prescription. That is my point. You can get painkillers without a prescription but they are watered down versions of what you can get on prescription.

I don't think benji knows what he/she is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    You cannot obtain prescription drugs without a prescription. ......
    You are wrong scorrie,

[quote=scorrie;397535]You cannot obtain prescription drugs without a prescription. That is my point. You can get painkillers without a prescription but they are watered down versions of what you can get on prescription.

Drugs without prescription are probably more freely available than hard drugs on the street. Temazepam and Diazepam are sold like sweeties by those out to make a profit from their own prescriptions. The internet also provides people with prescription drugs. Try keying in valium into a search on the internet and you'll be shocked at what it comes up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    You are wrong scorrie,
    Pretty poor post Moira. I thought it was mannerly to provide some sort of evidence/argument when claiming that another person is incorrect. To simply state that I am wrong is poor stuff and I expected better from you.

Our old pal Wiki puts it like this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescription_drug

I am pretty sure that if you go into Boots or Reids the Chemist, you will be whistling Dixie for a long time before they will give you a Prescribed Drug without a prescription. Riverview Practice have recently altered the procedure for ordering repeat prescriptions to allow for greater security. That would be a bit pointless if you could simply ask for the drug in the Pharmacy anyway.

What goes on over the Internet and street corners is virtually impossible to control. People will always find a way to con the system. Benji's scenario was about people on drugs prescribed by their GP for a medical condition, rather than people buying Jellies off an alkie down the local pub. If people ARE doing that, it is illegal and they do deserve to be labelled a "druggie". In my mind that can't be compared to someone legally obtaining their medication via legitimate Prescription from their GP.

[QUOTE=Venture;397581]
    Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    You cannot obtain prescription drugs without a prescription. That is my point. You can get painkillers without a prescription but they are watered down versions of what you can get on prescription.

Drugs without prescription are probably more freely available than hard drugs on the street. Temazepam and Diazepam are sold like sweeties by those out to make a profit from their own prescriptions. The internet also provides people with prescription drugs. Try keying in valium into a search on the internet and you'll be shocked at what it comes up with.
    I'm aware of the illegal market for drugs. I've lost count of the number of SPAM emails I have received offering me Viagra and other "Potions" that put lead in your "Pencil"

[quote=scorrie;397679]I am pretty sure that if you go into Boots or Reids the Chemist, you will be whistling Dixie for a long time before they will give you a Prescribed Drug without a prescription. Riverview Practice have recently altered the procedure for ordering repeat prescriptions to allow for greater security. That would be a bit pointless if you could simply ask for the drug in the Pharmacy anyway.quote]

I think the point that was being made was that there are certain people that will mislead their doctors about the length or severity of their affliction in order to continue being prescribed a certain drug. I have seen first hand that this can happen - especially with drugs like anti-depressants or pain killers, both of which can be extremely addictive.

You most definitely would not get POM (prescription only medicine) without a prescription in ANY chemist - sales of these in shops have stringent regulations but unfortunately it's not so easy over the internet.

Riverview Practice have stopped their phoned in prescription line to avoid mistakes on prescriptions. If something is written down by the patient instead of the receptionist, they cannot be blamed if the person gets the wrong medicine repeated.
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Default Nobody loves me

[quote=scorrie;397684]
    Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post

I'm aware of the illegal market for drugs. I've lost count of the number of SPAM emails I have received offering me Viagra and other "Potions" that put lead in your "Pencil"
    Why dont I get these spam emails
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast