Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Unidentified (dead) seabird

Default Unidentified (dead) seabird

Sorry, me again.

Found this at the foot of a cliff together with a dead guillemot - really windy day, so I'm guessing they got gusted into the rock. Can anyone identify it for me? I'm afraid I only photographed the head, but it was a large bird (maybe 70cm long), white underneath, grey wings and back.

Saw a little family of Eider ducks as well.

Possible 2nd year Gannet would be my guess from the pic, also taking into account your measurment.

might be a diver such as a red throated diver juvenile head shape looks very similar but its very difficult with just a head shot lol
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Looks like a young gannet

I would agree with the count and think it is a Red-throated diver, a juvenile. Its not a gannet as the bill is completely wrong. Look here

http://www.coventrybirder.co.uk/imag...net%200496.jpg
    Away with the birds

it was the eye position that made me think diver rather than gannet as the eyes of a gannet tend to further forward towards the bill giving them a binocular view rather than the side of the head as in the case of the dead bird
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Thanks for all the thoughts - I was going to go down there again today and photograph the whole thing, but my legs are still recovering from the walk I did on Saturday afternoon! I'll try and get down there tomorrow and see if it's still there.

Err, I may have left it a bit late, I'm afraid it's decomposed a bit. I was right about the size though, roughly 70cm from head to feet.