Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Toffee Apples

Unhappy Toffee Apples

Help Please
    Can anyone pleae do some toffee apples as we have a pregnant girl in our office who is craving for them. Is there anyone who can help make or tell us how to make them

I found this quick way if it helps

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/tools...3,5673,00.html

Smile toffee apples

That looks nice and easy to do I shall give it a try tonight Ta

My Grannie used to make them, but it wasnt as easy as that one. mmmmmmmmmmm now my mouths watering yummmmmmmmm I think i need to give that a try too ( I can feel the lbs ready to jump on ) lol

Default toffee apples

the toffee apples are done and looking good. One thing the recipe didnt say was when to add the water, I melted the toffee sweets and added the water then kept stirring until the water had mixed with the toffee. I have them in the friddge now, I will update tomorrow on how they set.

The thought of old fashioned toffe apples makes my mouth water.....if anyone can remember the quantities for this.
    Boil water with a tspn of vinegar and add ? amount of sugar and simmer down till pale gold.....I think you can do a drop test into cold water and if it sets it's ready to dip the apples. I think there might be a bit of butter in there somewhere.......

How does this look for you ?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...offeeapple.htm

Traditional Scottish Recipes
    - Toffee Apples
    While the sugar, syrup and butter will certainly not help a politically correct caloried controlled diet. But at least the fruit is healthy!

Ingredients:
    2 pounds (1 kilo or 5 cups) demerara (light brown) sugar
    Nut of butter
    1 small teaspoon vinegar
    1 desertspoon golden syrup (or light corn syrup)
    Half cup water
    Sticks for holding the toffee apples (ice lolly sticks do at a pinch) Method:
    Stir together the sugar, vinegar, syrup and water and heat until boiling, stirring continuously. Continue on a slow boil for 5/7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Insert the stick into the core of each apple and dip the apples into the mixture. Place on a greased tray, with the sticks in the air, until dry.

Stuff the PC bragaide yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

Default tuger2 u

Hi i tried the recipe tigger reccomended , was great only thig was my toppe mixtre didnt stick to all the apples , i did dry them but it pulled off them in a whole sheet of toffee

This is the recipe I've always used, it's actually for "frying pan" lollies but I use it for Toffee Apples as well. Enough for 13 frying pan lollies but will only make about 6 toffee apples. DON'T be tempted to double up the recipe as it will set before you get all the apples covered - been there, done that!

8 ozs granulated sugar
    8 tablespoons water
    6 tablespoons (6ozs) syrup - measure carefully
    Colouring if desired

Put all the ingredients (except colour) into a pan and stir till dissolved. From now on don't stir it. Bring to the boil, quickly boil to the "hard crack" stage. Dip the pan in cold water to stop cooking. Quickly mix in the colouring.
    Make sure that you have your apples ready just to dip in the toffee as it sets very quickly.

Got my apples at the ready...once I have finished work the sugar, the syrup will be bubbling... apples dipped and me, sticky but happy..........

Just the right time for these
    Happy halloween, trust the org every time to find a recipie.
    Thanks everyone xx

Dont forget you can do different variations of the toffee,and you could also do the chocolate coated ones with hundreds and thousands on.My kids love em.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorfin View Post
    the toffee apples are done and looking good. One thing the recipe didnt say was when to add the water, I melted the toffee sweets and added the water then kept stirring until the water had mixed with the toffee. I have them in the friddge now, I will update tomorrow on how they set.
    I hate stories wi no ending! What happened Thorfin - did they set? Were they good? Tell us!