Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Gig Final Line Up

I think if you're going to make such a statement, these people would maybe be looking for some form of evidence to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Nonsense.

Most of the local pub owners in Thurso get along fine.

When I used to work in the central the staff of the Newmarket and Holburn would regularly "borow" kegs if they ran out.

To think the bar owners are so petty as to use bands as pawns in some sort of "pub wars" is ridiculous.
    i never named a bars name,nor a band,and i did say or vice versa,but they are 2 venues in thurso who have well deserved good names in thurso for giving bands a chance to play that afew good local acts are not playing therebut the big gig is nearly soley made up with them,if bands are limited to what venues they will play then pups are limited to what bands they can hire and lose out on new crowds and money,the same for the bands and when resources are limited friction can happen,i,m not trying to offend any one and i might be wrong,but with all the fuss thats going on over the big gig i might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I think if you're going to make such a statement, these people would maybe be looking for some form of evidence to back it up.
    are you working for the F.B.I or something.

I'll ask the questions

I think you're making a bit of generalised statement based on very limited facts. I'm sure the others think the same which is why they've come and questioned your comments.

The Caithness rumour mill can give you misleading information, I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Nonsense.

Most of the local pub owners in Thurso get along fine.

When I used to work in the central the staff of the Newmarket and Holburn would regularly "borow" kegs if they ran out.

To think the bar owners are so petty as to use bands as pawns in some sort of "pub wars" is ridiculous.
    I'd say at least one bar owner is petty. My Dad once asked Brian Cardosi for some ice-cubes one evening and was promptly told "No." To think, for all the years my Dad pumped money into that bar and Cardosi begrudged him some ice-cubes? Well... the word petty does spring to mind. Still, it's that kind of attitude that makes you money, so nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I'd say at least one bar owner is petty. My Dad once asked Brian Cardosi for some ice-cubes one evening and was promptly told "No." To think, for all the years my Dad pumped money into that bar and Cardosi begrudged him some ice-cubes? Well... the word petty does spring to mind. Still, it's that kind of attitude that makes you money, so nuff said.
    Well, as I've said, when I worked for Brian he always sent the other pubs a keg of Guiness when they were dry. Going back to my original point, if he's willing to do this for "the competition", and the other bars reciprocate, I don't believe they are not going to allow a band to play in their venues simply because they've played somewhere else.

There isn't a great pub music scene in Thurso, but I don't think it's the fault of the pubs. The drinking culture has changed so much in the last decade or so. I remember going in to the bowling alley at 8pm on a Saturday night in 96,97 (They were good for bands) you couldn't move it was so busy. Find me a pub that's mobbed at that time now. The town doesn't pick up on a Saturday now until at least 10 or 10.30. Come 11.30 they're all off to Skinandis.

On another point, I also remember giving away many a carrier bag of ice cubes! For Brian to have done this I'm should he had a reason, rightly or wrongly. I doubt it was out of pettiness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12