Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: J.R.R Tolkien

Default J.R.R Tolkien

J.R.R Tolkien,the man is a legend.He invented a world,he invented languages,anybody after him.Ye have done the biz but ye've only followed the master.Pratchett,Rowling,King bow to your Tolkien God.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

LOTR is one of my fave series...think I have read it three times now...and cannot wait for the Hobbit movie!!

but there are others and more involving and adult in theme yet still pure fantasy...

Have you read stephen donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant??? Think it is upto 9 books over 20 years in the writing...THAT IS an amazing series of books...ADULT Themed FANTASY !!! Not for young readers!!

Also There is a brilliant series of Fantasy/History Books by Stephen Lawhead - Talesin - Merlin - Arthur - Pendragon - Grail....and a seperate series the PARADISE WARS - a trilogy set against celtic Myths...superb...

James

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    J.R.R Tolkien,the man is a legend.He invented a world,he invented languages,anybody after him.Ye have done the biz but ye've only followed the master.Pratchett,Rowling,King bow to your Tolkien God.
    I think L. Frank Baum preceded J.R.R. Tolkien and had equal popular success for creating a fantasy world with all its interactions of good and evil. Without Baum, we probably wouldn't have a Tolkien...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Wasnt JRR pals with CS Lewis too? I really LOVED Narnia when i was young...

I too love and admire Tolkein, his ability to make you feel that you are in his world cannot be beaten and it is a saga for all , not intended for any particular age group although very young readers might struggle.
    He however like other writers of his genre draws on folklore,myth and legend and he must have read "Beowolf."

yeah i found the lord of the rings series great i luved the hobbit too and am looking forward to the film has anyone read the eragon books there is only 2 out at the moment am thoroughly looking forward to the 3rd they are writen by christopher paolini he thought all the books up when he was 15 which i think is amazing seen as they go into such detail and are so well written
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.

I think Caithness is the Shire. There seems to be a few names in lotr which can be found here. There is even an Amon Sul and a Bill Fernie...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.