Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet corn pollenation advice

Default Sweet corn pollenation advice

I have Sweetcorn growing in my unheated greenhouse. This is my first attempt ever and I only have 3 of them growing - although they are romping away.
    My problem is that there is no way I am planting them out in the veg plot (they're about 18 inches high now) and I know they're wind pollinated.
    Does anyone know of a simple way to hand pollinate them? Plus I haven't a clue which are the male and female parts.
    Please help!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

If you keep your sweetcorn close together in the greenhouse they should pollinate themselves, not sure if there is a way to pollinate them.

you can "alledgedly" polinate with a paint brush, but leaving your greenhouse door open during the day and letting mother nature do her bit is probably your best option

I've been growing these for a few years now in a polytunnel and have been quite successful. They grow to about 7' tall so make sure you have enough height. When watering them spray the leaves and let the water drip down rather than watering the ground. I just leave the tunnel door open and the wind does the rest.

Hope you're successful!

we had sweetcorn in the greenhouse last year and found that just shaking the flowers and catching the pollen and then sprinkling the pollen onto other flowers was enough to pollenate the corns!, this year we have about twenty plants growing in the greenhouse so hopefully lots of corns later in the year - yum!

this years are up to four feet have about 15 in the greenhouse looking forward to the cobs yum!

Right, well I only have 3 alive and kicking. I'll know more next year and will get more of them growing.
    They're about 5 ft at the moment and they have some kind of seedy flower thingy coming through the top. Haven't a clue what to do but I'll follow everyones advice and see what happens.

Everything else is growing bloomin well. I have baby peppers already, courgettes and cucumbers and all the other veg etc is flowering and ready to produce.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

router Guest

i grew these a few years in a greenhouse,you don't realy need to do anything,the pollen just floats round in the air and they produce cobs without the need to touch them,apart from watering that's about it,though a feed with Tomorite regularly helps them along

Quote Originally Posted by router View Post
    i grew these a few years in a greenhouse,you don't realy need to do anything,the pollen just floats round in the air and they produce cobs without the need to touch them,apart from watering that's about it,though a feed with Tomorite regularly helps them along

They get a regular feeding of Tomorite and the corny flower at the top is dying off on one of them now. What happens next then? Wheres the blinkin cob?????????

I think I am gonna have to get a greenhouse at some stage. I planted mine outside and they are only about 4inch at the moment, so don't hold out much hope of getting anything off them
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

hi the top bit is the flower, shake it and the pollen falls down onto the leaves and down towards the stem the cobs come from the leaf joins

i,ve got 5 growing in my hothouse, 4 have seedy things coming out the top 1 has fine threads coming on it. i take it that there's male and female plants, sorry but this is the first time i've grown them,i usually just grow tomatoes

Well Hell Raizer, me bing a seasoned veteran at all this veg growing stuff, I feel I should pass on some of my wisdom. Yeah Right!

As it happens, I found myself asking the very same question as you and as Lynne Duncan pointed out, the top bit is the flower (male I assume?) and the cobs actually grow from the leaf joints.
    I actually have my very first cob growing as we speak. yay!!!!!!!!!

congratulations porshiepoo, i cant wait till mine come

Quote Originally Posted by hell raizer View Post
    i,ve got 5 growing in my hothouse, 4 have seedy things coming out the top 1 has fine threads coming on it. i take it that there's male and female plants, sorry but this is the first time i've grown them,i usually just grow tomatoes
    The top bits are the anthers (male) that produce the pollen; the threads are the stigmas (female) and the pollen sticks to these. Each thread leads down to one kernal on a cob - amazing how long the pollen tube has to grow to fertilize the kernal!

Wind is the usual pollinator (and Scotland has ceratinly had its share of that!) but I imagine that shaking may have the same effect. Have you planted them in a square grid? This is best for pollination.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

yip, i planted them in a square grid i have also been leaving hothouse door and window open on days that it's not not been blowing a hurrican. we seem to be getting very windy weather of late.
    thanks for explaining it to me ricco

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I think I am gonna have to get a greenhouse at some stage. I planted mine outside and they are only about 4inch at the moment, so don't hold out much hope of getting anything off them
    Changilass

I treated myself to a plastic green house from B&Q to see how Id get on with growing Veg and OH said it was a phase I was going through
    Have had loads of lovely strawberries Green Peppers well maybe just 2
    5 Tomato plants all bearing fruit but my baby sweetcorn silch so far although its getting tall
    I am truly hooked have the wee hoosie in a sunny spot of the garden go out at night and zip them in and open up again next morning
    Its nice to be nice

hi have been following thread as i also am growing sweetcorn for first time, so can someone tell me how do u know when they ready to be picked?

last year we just usually pulled the leaves open slightly and peeked at the corns to see if they were yellow enough, that was our way of doing it.
    my top flowers are just starting to open, can't wait for the cobs to be ready, but then it will be a fight to eat them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast