Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet corn pollenation advice

Quote Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
    hi have been following thread as i also am growing sweetcorn for first time, so can someone tell me how do u know when they ready to be picked?
    Whatever you do... do not pull back some husks to take a peek! Feel the outside of the ear - if it feels fat and heavy then it shoudl be OK (it shoudl feel a bit like grasping a (steady now, Paris!!) baguette. When you find one that seems OK then pull down-wards and twist it to break it free form the stalk.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    The top bits are the anthers (male) that produce the pollen; the threads are the stigmas (female) and the pollen sticks to these. Each thread leads down to one kernal on a cob - amazing how long the pollen tube has to grow to fertilize the kernal!

Wind is the usual pollinator (and Scotland has ceratinly had its share of that!) but I imagine that shaking may have the same effect. Have you planted them in a square grid? This is best for pollination.
    Spoken like a true native of Southern Ontario. Good on ya Ricco.

The main thing with growing corn is an agricultural term called heat units. Long, hot, sunny days are what is needed. As someone who wore woollen stocking in Caithness right up until August 1, I would say that it does not offer the best climate for growing corn. However, with protection and a few weeks of the weather we have been having lately you should get a bit of a crop. Enjoy. Fresh corn is just the best!

Some people boil it, others put it still in the husks on the barbeque. I find cooking it in the microwave wrapped in wax paper to work very well.

Default Pollinating sweet corn

Porshiepoo, Your season is over but if you plan to grow sweet corn again next year, it's very simple. Just be sure you plant them in a block rather than a stright line. the more you plant the better. If they were outside, no fewer than 4 rows is recommended so that if you have room in your greenhouse, say, to plant 3 rows of 3 plants, that should be okay, I would think. I don't know how large your greenhouse is. A good shake of the plants when they're pollinating should do the trick although if you have a way to hook up an electric fan to blow on them hard for an hour or so that wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12