Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Info on Pepper Plant

Default Info on Pepper Plant

I have a pepper plant in the greenhouse which is just starting to flower. Can anyone tell me should I remove the shoots that grow between the stems like you do with tomato plants. Also I have noticed that the main stem is turning blue/black in places. Is this normal? Any tips/help would be gratefully received.

I've had chili plants for the last few years Amowat, and the purple/black areas on the stem are normal on these. I don't remove the side shoots (wasn't told to by the guy I buy them from), and they've done very well....so far .
    Last edited by helenwyler; 01-Jun-08 at 11:35. Reason: I wasn't allowed to use the proper gardening term for removing side shoots! haha!

Don't remove the sideshoots, just let it bush out as nature intended. And I agree that the blue/black is normal. However, the pepper family is huge, so advice for one is not necessarily advice for all. The one common factor, though, is that we need a long, hot sunny summer for peppers to be really productive.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.