Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumour

Default Tumour

Connie,my beautiful 12 year old collie has terminal cancer and today the vet told us she has a few months left.
    In January she had a growth removed from her side which was very nasty.Unfortunatly Alan never managed to get it all out and its returned with avengence.Its unbelievable how fast this thing is growing.to look at her you'd think she was fine,all that gives it away is her scratching her side.

Decisions have to be made and to be very honest I've never had to do this before.
    Connie's not in pain at present,the tumour has not broken through the skin and ulcerated,so we wait.

Has anyone had to go through something similar and how did you cope.

To lose my mum in March was bad eneogh but to lose Connie too is going to hurt like hell.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I am so sorry to hear about Connie.

It's so hard, to hear news like that. Our pets are family, often like children to us, and this is the news we all dread hearing.

Our old cat was in her 20's when she died. We had been told that she had growths in her ears, but because of her age, they couldn't do anything, but they might spread. They said she wasn't in much pain, so we left her for a while, as I couldn't bear to lose her.
    After a while, she really began to suffer, and when I called the vet, they said she would need to be put to sleep, as she was suffering.
    It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, and I was so upset for months after. I felt so guilty for letting them put her to sleep, but after a while, I realised that it was the best thing for her. I had looked after her for so many years, and this was the last thing I could do to take her of her.

You always do the best you can for your animals, and I am sure they know how much we care.

I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid - I wish I did. I will be thinking of you all, because I know how hard it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KCI View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about Connie.

It's so hard, to hear news like that. Our pets are family, often like children to us, and this is the news we all dread hearing.

Our old cat was in her 20's when she died. We had been told that she had growths in her ears, but because of her age, they couldn't do anything, but they might spread. They said she wasn't in much pain, so we left her for a while, as I couldn't bear to lose her.
    After a while, she really began to suffer, and when I called the vet, they said she would need to be put to sleep, as she was suffering.
    It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, and I was so upset for months after. I felt so guilty for letting them put her to sleep, but after a while, I realised that it was the best thing for her. I had looked after her for so many years, and this was the last thing I could do to take her of her.

You always do the best you can for your animals, and I am sure they know how much we care.

I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid - I wish I did. I will be thinking of you all, because I know how hard it is.
    It is unbearably hard KCI.
    I woke 17 years ago to find my last collie dead in the porch,he was only 5 and the vet suspected he'd eat poison of some sorts.It was a gradual decline with him refusing his food and then water,
    In the end the only way he would drink is if you took him to the river and through stones for him to catch.
    Just now the old girl is sunnying herself in the back garden after finishing off fresh kidney for her tea.I must love her as the smell of that cooking is revolting.

We want to be able to take her back up to her favourite beaches in caithness but arent due to come up till September
    will have to decide if we can make a weekend of it soon.

Thank you Torvaig for your kind words.

Aah Cuddlepop, I have no words of advice I'm afraid. You, your family and Connie have been through the mill lately. I am thinking of you and of course the healing light is always pointed in your direction. I know you will make the most of every day with her and a collie couldn't ask for a better person to spend her time with.
    Lots of {{hugs}} to you and Connie x
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

Quote Originally Posted by carasmam View Post
    Aah Cuddlepop, I have no words of advice I'm afraid. You, your family and Connie have been through the mill lately. I am thinking of you and of course the healing light is always pointed in your direction. I know you will make the most of every day with her and a collie couldn't ask for a better person to spend her time with.
    Lots of {{hugs}} to you and Connie x
    Thank you Carasman .Connie's not just a dog she's part of our family and this feels so painfull but like Liz said maybe the vets wrong and its benign.
    Maybe i'll get a miracle too.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Thank you Carasman .Connie's not just a dog she's part of our family and this feels so painfull but like Liz said maybe the vets wrong and its benign.
    Maybe i'll get a miracle too.
    I do hope so. And I know she's not just a dog, they are our bairns. (and your due a miracle )
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

Oh Cuddlepop being told that you are going to lose one of your animal bairns is the most awful feeling in the world and my heart truly goes out to you.

I had a beautiful Sheltie, called Tasha, who developed a large 'lump' under one his legs. I can't remember why but the Vets never removed it and we were often told it may be time to 'let him go'.
    However, he was quite mobile and enjoying life so we decided against this.
    When the time did eventually come we knew it was the right thing to do as his quality of life was suffering.
    We have also had other pets with life limiting illnesses and the only way to cope is to enjoy each day you have with them and not think about the day when they leave you. Try to stay positive for Connie (no matter how difficult this may be) as she will pick up on your sadness.
    Fill your heart and mind with lots of wonderful memories as these will truly comfort you in years to come.
    On all occasions when I have lost a pet I have felt as if my world had ended but the love of another pet got me through.

I truly hope that Connie has a long while ahead of her and know there will be much love and healing light crossing over from Caithness right now.

We will all be here for you.

Lots of love and hugs xxxxxx
    Last edited by Liz; 29-May-08 at 23:16.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

We had a collie which had a very similiar problem as yours. It was on his neck and awful. One vet told us that it was inoperable and there was no point in removing it. He scratched it all the time and it sometimes bled but other wise was fine and ate well. Luckily another vet was at the house for a completely different reason and seen him and operated on him that week. He was a different dog after that and kept going for another 3 years. Oh by the he was 13 when he went through his operation. I know not every story has a happy ending, but just think they go to doggy heaven and chase balls or sheep in full health. I just wish you the best and as my dad once said as long as they have a healthy appetite theres no much wrong with them
    Yippee puppies galore soon

cuddlepop, I am so saddened to hear about connie so soon after losing your mum. Its a pity animals cant have chemotherapy like humans to shrink a tumour. The best you can do is enjoy the time you have left together and this will give you great memories after she has gone. Go places together, take photoes, cuddle her a lot, tell her you love her and what a great pet she has been. A bit like you would be with a terminally ill loved human. Make the most of this precious time. She obviously knows there is something wrong with her, they are so intelligent.
    I am thinking of you and sending lots of hugs x
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Oh Cuddlepop, my heart hurts for you. This is the news that every pet lover dreads. I wish I had the words that would make you feel better but there are none. Connie is fortunate to be with someone who cares so much for her.

I had to make this decision early on this year when our cat had to be put to sleep . She had kidney problems that just progressed very quickly. She was in pain and very sick towards the end and it still was the hardest thing to do and I cried buckets when I came out of the vets but I know I made the right decision as she was so sick. We still miss her (even the dog still looks for her if you mention her name) but know that she had a good life for the12 years we had her. I'm sure when the time comes it will be very hard and my heart goes out to you but time will heal and you'll have lots of fond memories of your lovely dog.

hang on in thare....you will know in your heart of hearts when the time comes..and she will let you know also...xxx
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

.............. ....................
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

binbob Guest

Default connie

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    cuddlepop, I am so saddened to hear about connie so soon after losing your mum. Its a pity animals cant have chemotherapy like humans to shrink a tumour. The best you can do is enjoy the time you have left together and this will give you great memories after she has gone. Go places together, take photoes, cuddle her a lot, tell her you love her and what a great pet she has been. A bit like you would be with a terminally ill loved human. Make the most of this precious time. She obviously knows there is something wrong with her, they are so intelligent.
    I am thinking of you and sending lots of hugs x
    hi fran..actually ,dogs can have chemo....it is the cost that could be the stumbling block,might be worth asking though,cuddlepop.

Thank you all for your kind words.

chemo would just be too expensive and even if I could afford it I'm not sure I could put her through all the side effects.
    Our other dog who we've only had to stay for a year is very close to her and i'm sure between them they know somethings up.This younger dog just doesnt like it when we split them up.

Its been wonderful these past few weeks and the pair of thenm have been swimming down at the beach in Glen brittle.....I've some beautiful memorys allready.

Going to get my friend to do a charcoal drawing of her asap.She has this talent for capturing the true personality of the subject that a photo cant.

one of my dogs recently had a cancer scare.. it turned out to be negative thank doG, but I did consider chemo. what put me off was that for my dogs type of tumour, had it been pos it would not have cured the cancer just delayed things. it would only have bought months.
    I was prepared to treat him palliatively , for comfort until the time came for him to be put to sleep.
    He also would have had to go to edinburgh,. I work full time and would find it impossible getting time off for this.
    they say dogs dont suffer like humans with chemo they dont loose their fur just sometimes their whiskers they dont tend to vomit. It affects them differently from humans. Or maybe they suffer in different ways that we cant detect?
    anyway I had made my choice and I was so relieved that it didnt come to that.
    Im thinking of you as I know exactly worried you are. Rolo is only 3. too young to die, I was distraught, perhaps you will get a wee miracle too.
    My thoughts are with you ((hugs))
    x jean.

Quote Originally Posted by jean View Post
    one of my dogs recently had a cancer scare.. it turned out to be negative thank doG, but I did consider chemo. what put me off was that for my dogs type of tumour, had it been pos it would not have cured the cancer just delayed things. it would only have bought months.
    I was prepared to treat him palliatively , for comfort until the time came for him to be put to sleep.
    He also would have had to go to edinburgh,. I work full time and would find it impossible getting time off for this.
    they say dogs dont suffer like humans with chemo they dont loose their fur just sometimes their whiskers they dont tend to vomit. It affects them differently from humans. Or maybe they suffer in different ways that we cant detect?
    anyway I had made my choice and I was so relieved that it didnt come to that.
    Im thinking of you as I know exactly worried you are. Rolo is only 3. too young to die, I was distraught, perhaps you will get a wee miracle too.
    My thoughts are with you ((hugs))
    x jean.
    today hasnt been a good day as Connie has ,when she thinks no ones looking, biting at her fur where those nasty lumps are.
    The skins sore ,hot and red now.In the space of 3 days these lumps are harder and reder.
    Vet hoped it would be a while before we needed the topical cream but it looks like we'll be visiting Tuesday.
    I'm so glad your dog had a false alarm jean.
    Thanks for the hugs .

So sorry to hear about your Connie......Here is a suggestion, for what it's worth.... it will definately not do her any harm.

Pour 1 pint of boiling water over a handful of red clover heads and leave for thirty minute stirring occasionally. Strain the water into another container and add a tblspn of organic cider vinegar.
    Let it cool and bathe Connies bad bits.... it will reduce inflamation and itching and keep her sore areas clean. I am not saying it will cure but it will help her feel comfy. This healing wash can be applied as many times as needed....... Fingers crossed for you.

Bright Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    So sorry to hear about your Connie......Here is a suggestion, for what it's worth.... it will definately not do her any harm.

Pour 1 pint of boiling water over a handful of red clover heads and leave for thirty minute stirring occasionally. Strain the water into another container and add a tblspn of organic cider vinegar.
    Let it cool and bathe Connies bad bits.... it will reduce inflamation and itching and keep her sore areas clean. I am not saying it will cure but it will help her feel comfy. This healing wash can be applied as many times as needed....... Fingers crossed for you.

Bright Blessings.
    Connie was in the river this morning and pratically swimming,which she hasnt done for ages.
    The cool water must have felt just bliss against her skin.
    This weather although great for us is unbearable for the dogs in the best of health,nevermind ill dogs.
    Fighting spirit still alive and kicking,saw of the young dog tonight after dinner.Wee dog wanted both bones.

have some cider vinegar in so just need to buy some red gloves.

Thanks for all your tips there really helpfull.

With liz hurting as much as she does,having just done the most difficult task a pet owner can do for their pet,I feel abit like i'm rubbing salt in so please understand I'm at a loss.

The cream I bought for Connies itch must be tasty as its constantly licked off.Will see if the wholefood shop has gloves in yet.
    You can actually feel the tumour growing into the flesh now,its not just on the skin.She's bit all the fur off round about it.She's constantly tired but if you produce a football she wants to play.the side with the growth on ,she will still lie on.If she sees food she eats it.

Suppose to be going down to Glasgow for three days next week but feel i cant leave her.Non pet owners will think I'm mad as my youngest is going for her yearly check up,now at the Western as she's an adult.OH will go instead.

This believe it or not is harder than the decision i made when my baby was needing heart surgery.Then it was black and white.This has so many shades of grey.

I wish Connie would just pass in her sleep.Which I know she wont as she's on heart meds.
    If i stop them will it just cause her more distress.?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast