Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craig Dunain Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn View Post
    Gardeninginagale,
    I remember witnessing patients being herded into the ECT room in Craig Dunain.
    There were no explanation of the procedure, in fact barely a word was uttered toward the patient. The consultant just blabbered away to his colleagues about his weekends activities, drawing breath only to administer the shock....and then on to the next one. It all seemed so inhumane, no privacy or compassion.
    To be honest in the short time I was there I never saw anyone benefit from ECT, although I was reassured that in severe cases of depression the mood could lift.
    evelyn
    We are obviously heading off-topic here, but I'd just like to thank you for your response. Fortunately, times have changed, and ECT is no longer a knee-jerk reaction to anyone who has had a bad day. Because that's exactly what it was back then. No sit down and talk. Just get the electrodes out. Personally, I am far from convinced that mental health issues are adequately addressed today, but that's another issue. We have, at least, moved on a little.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Returned the booklet to Thurso library today. Hope Mr Cannop enjoys the read.........he`s next on the list........If that is the org`s Mr P Cannop I look forward to reading his views in due course.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Real sorry to bump an old thread like this, but seeing as these are the last photos probably ever to be taken inside the last remaining part of Craig Dunain, thought one or two of you might be interested to see what's left of this place that once took in people from all over the Highlands and Hebrides. (and yes, all photos were taken officially)...

Craig Dunain hospital (formerly Highland district lunatic asylum). Scotland's third oldest district asylum, with only Royal Aberdeen and Sunnyside in Montrose predating it. 1864 - 2008.

ward and seclusion rooms...

Last edited by Ali_1; 08-Sep-08 at 19:45.

the supposedly haunted ward :-)

the dentist

Default Spooky

Wow that brought back memories. I remember having to wash patient smalls in those washing machines. I also remember that they changed the ward numbering which caused no end of confusion. The staff that had been there for years used the old numbers and I was told the new ones. 8 north, 8 south, the blue room...the locked ward etc.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

An eerie feel emanates from these photographs....................very evocative, can almost hear the whisperings of past memories

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn View Post
    Gardeninginagale,
    I remember witnessing patients being herded into the ECT room in Craig Dunain.
    There were no explanation of the procedure, in fact barely a word was uttered toward the patient. The consultant just blabbered away to his colleagues about his weekends activities, drawing breath only to administer the shock....and then on to the next one. It all seemed so inhumane, no privacy or compassion.
    To be honest in the short time I was there I never saw anyone benefit from ECT, although I was reassured that in severe cases of depression the mood could lift.
    evelyn
    I have seen many patients benefit from ECT and in some the change was staggering after half a dozen treatments. I can remember working recovery twice a week for about two years with about 40 patients each time. We generally used the modified process so the patient was asleep with a muscle relaxant to reduce injuries from the spams. Which is why we generally talked as the patient could not hear us.
    It was many years ago that they used in non modified process in the south which normally required half a doz of you to prevent the person injuring them selves.
    The hospital I started at, it was said that the total corridor lenght was 10 miles in total and over 1000 staff lived on campus. It was vast.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Unhappy Watching ECT,,,

I was a YTS trainee in my bonny lilac uniform. I was accompanying a patient to the ECT room for treatment. Bearing in mind I was just 17 seeing the ECT procedure carried out and not having had it explained beforehand I was really freaked out by it all. To say working there was an experience would be a huge understatement. I got a job afterwards in Theatre suite which was a huge relief as it was a lot less stressful than Craig Dunain.

If someone were to do a collection of memories of that place it would be a best seller...believe you me.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    I was a YTS trainee in my bonny lilac uniform. I was accompanying a patient to the ECT room for treatment. Bearing in mind I was just 17 seeing the ECT procedure carried out and not having had it explained beforehand I was really freaked out by it all. To say working there was an experience would be a huge understatement. I got a job afterwards in Theatre suite which was a huge relief as it was a lot less stressful than Craig Dunain.

If someone were to do a collection of memories of that place it would be a best seller...believe you me.
    That's actually what I'm doing for a large project that covers all of Scotland at the moment! I've already got a large ammount of personal accounts from various former mental hospitals that are now derelict and awaiting demolition / conversion. I think it's important to get as much material, both archive and personal, before these places are gone forever.

So if anyone here would be willing to add absolutely anything about their memories of Craig Dunain, by private message or even on the thread, that would be much appreciated. Obviously it can be totally annonymous; although a very brief description of how and when you were connected to the site is always useful! thanks.
    Last edited by Ali_1; 10-Sep-08 at 17:53.

Default very interesting!

Let us know when its complete i'd love to read it!

Has anyone had any luck in tracking down the book of the patients and staff memoirs? Would love to read it.

Theres also a book called Presumed Curable, about victorian psychiatric patients from the Bethlem Hospital, a very interesting read!

Default craig dunain

A goodly number of years ago I interviewed a physician/psychiatrist at Craig Dunain and wrote a piece for a Canadian paper, The Medical Post.
    It was explained to me that the majority of patients there suffered from alcoholism (which could cover up a lot of health problems, mood disorders, depression etc etc.) Many of these patients arrived in Craig Dunain via the criminal courts as part of remedial sentencing after drunk driving convictions
    But what was of interest to my editor in Canada was a therapy in which Craig Dunain was a leader - the playing of video games to restore brain function after alcohol abuse.
    What made this clinically interesting to the wider world outside Inverness was the finding that the recovery process in alcoholism was much more prolonged than anyone had thought.
    This was based on video games involving virtual car racing. Months after being on the wagon patients were still crashing their video automobiles.
    All of which raised interesting questions about liability and compensation in traffic accidents involving former patients.
    I wonder what happened to that research!
    And on the subject of Craig Dunain was there not some involvement in the great oil of evening priomrose scam....
    Richard Sutherland

Default primrose oil at craig dunain

I googled around and found the doctor I interviewed at Craig Dunain - Dr. Ian Glen of the Alcohol Research Clinic.
    Everything that he told me was subsequently published. If you go to page 88 of the PDF file I am enclosing you will find him. So I wouldn't hesitate to print his name as he was ( and doubtless still is) a reputable researcher.
    Oil of Evening Primrose was marketed under the name Efamol. There was an Efamol Research Unit and library at Kentville, Nova Scotia.
    Basicaly this stuff gave a boost to your brain - well, that was the hope - and it looked promising enough in initial trials but it didn'tr pan out. I am fairly certain there was one study involving video games played before, during and after Efanol treatment.
    I remember Dr. Glen as being a marvellously entertaining host during my interview with him. He was also a great champion of Scottish Nationalism.
    I hope this extended URL works! (We will see)

http://books.google.com/books?id=mKj...esult#PPA88,M1
    Richard Sutherland

Your link just gives me a Google Search on Evening Primrose Oil.

Do you still have a copy of the piece you wrote for publication? I'd be extremely interested to read it. If it's not appropriate reading for everyone here then please PM me. Thanks Rich.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12