Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone reccommend a good book?

James pattison is great all of his are good

I recently finished "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx. Excellent - and the movie is also great.

And yesterday I finished "The White Road" by John Connolly. His books run in sequence, with plotlines that run from the first one "Every Dead Thing", through "Dark Hollow" and "The Killing Kind" to "White Road". But you should only read those if you aren't freaked out by violence and horror. They are pretty strong in places.

Default books

Joseph Mitchell: Up in the Old Hotel
    A collection of pieces he wrote for the New Yorker in the '30s,'40s and '50s. Includes masterpeces like McSorley's Wonderful Saloon and the Man Who Could talk to Seagulls.

Flann O'Brien: At Swim Two Birds (so funny it's dangerous)

Shelbey Foote: The Civil War. (The AMerican Civil War battle by battle - great stuff. The ideal summer read)

Raymond Chandler: The Long Goodbye (Eveybody thinks they've read Chandler because they've seen the movies of read one of his numerous imitators. Well they haven't and he's still the best.)

Gunther Schiller: The Swing Era (for jazz fanatics this is the greatest - he is fo fair in his judgements and so eloquent. He even sets out to explain how swing works mathematically. But no Fats Waller! How come he forgot Fats Waller....?)

Memoirs of the Duc de Simon: OK admittedly I've still to finish this after 10 years. But I feel that I am beginning to feel my way around the court of Louis XIV. Or is it XV? Blast! Suitable for post coital reading in the midnight hours with a glass of claret accompanied by the deep breathing of ones sated, sleeping spouse. Or maybe someone else you've sated....Stop me, Colin, ere I transgress the bounds of what is acceptable in these parts....)

Gustav FLaubert: A Sentimental education. (So cruel, so cynical, so French, such a snappy prose style you might get whiplash...)

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Vincent Van Gogh: Dear Theo (The greates letters ever written)

Anonymous Guest

Agree with Squidgie on The Long Firm by Jake Arnott - started reading his next novel, He Kills Coppers.

The last King of Scotland, Giles Fodden
    Zanzibar, Giles Fodden
    Its Colours they are Fine, Alan Spence
    Morven Caller, Alan Warner
    The Locust Room, John Burnside
    The Dumb House, John Burnside
    The Mercy Boys, John Burnside
    Bunkerman, Duncan Maclean
    Complicity, Iain Banks
    Consider Phlebas, Iain M Banks
    The Shankill Butchers, Martin Dillon

That'll do for starters

I started to post this on the Jokes board, but decided it was no joke Get your daughters into university! -HW

A couple went on vacation to a fishing resort up north. The husband liked to
    fish at the crack of dawn. The wife liked to read.

One morning the husband returned after several hours of fishing and decided
    to take a short nap. Although she wasn't familiar with the lake, the wife
    decided to take the boat. She rowed out a short distance, anchored, and returned
    to
    reading her book.

Along came the sheriff in his boat. He pulled up alongside her and said,
    "Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?"

"Reading my book," she replied...as she thought to herself, "duh -- isn't it
    obvious?"

"You're in a restricted fishing area," he informed her.

"But officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?"

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. I'll have to take you in and write you
    up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with rape," snapped the irate woman.

"But, I haven't even touched you," groused the sheriff.

"Yes, that's true, she replied, "but you do have all the equipment."

MORAL: Never argue with a woman who knows how to read. It's likely she can
    also think.

Iceman Guest

MORAL: Never argue with a woman who knows how to read. It's likely she can
    also think.[/quote

Only likely, (as you say) I should point out.

Try FHM, it's a great read

Anonymous Guest

Iceman the thread is about books not comics By the way GQ is a far more erudite publication

Quote Originally Posted by kw14Ultra
    Agree with Squidgie on The Long Firm by Jake Arnott - started reading his next novel, He Kills Coppers.
    He kills coppers is good too - I like the way he ties the two together with small but noticeable detail - very clever. If you like this though Kw you will enjoy The Cutting Room" Louise Welsh - excellent and another first novel!!!

Default More books

"Welcome to the World, Baby Girl", "Standing in the Rainbow" and "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café"...all by Fannie Flagg.
    Anything by Nicholas Sparks.
    Mediaeval mysteries by Michael Jecks..best read in order.
    Susannah Gregory's series set in 14th Century Cambridge.
    Jan Karon's Mitford series.
    Colin Forbes's books especially the ones about Tweed and team (they are a bit similar but very enjoyable).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12