Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone reccommend a good book?

Anonymous Guest

Default Can someone reccommend a good book?

I'm looking for a good summer read. I've just finished The Beach House and The Jester. Both good books but I don't know what to read next. Any suggestions?

Eve M Guest

I've just finished. 'What she wants' by Cathy Kelly. It's very good. What kind of books are you into?

Eve M Guest

'Infidelity for first time fathers' by Mark Barrowcliffe. This book really made me lol, although it would depend on your sense of humour I guess. I read it in about two nights, I just couldn't put it down.
    In fact I must go look it out and pass it on to a friend of mine who has the same kind of sense of humour as me

Complicity by Iain Banks. Top drawer!

EVEL INCARNATE .Its Evel Knievel's life story .A proper Heidcase that dude

Anything by Roddy Doyle - funny moving full of pathos, makes me laugh out loud

Fortunes Rocks - Anita Shreve - Interesting love story

Wild Swans - jung chang - true life stories of three women in China - moves through the years easily. Great book

The Long Firm - Jake Arnott - Hardhitting thriller/mystery set in 60s soho - fast paced and gripping

The Cutting Room - Louise Welsh. - Thriller - good story will keep you guessing

Prodigal Summer and Pigs in heaven by Barbara Kingsolver - both lovely stories both about human spirit and both love stories in an ungushy way

House on Fire - Andrea Ashworth - beautifully written story of a girl growing up in manchesterin te 70s and 80s. Story of resilience and triumph. funny and poignant and will pull at the memory strings of anyone who is 35ish!!!

The Throwback - Tom Sharpe Wickedly funny, rude and completely bizzare and unrealistic. The funniest book i have ever read.

Enjoy

Country of the Pointed Firs.

Love in the Time of Cholera.

The Two Lives of Quincas Wateryell.

Eve M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by htwood

Love in the Time of Cholera.
    Whats that book about? I'm sure its the book featured in the movie "Serendipity"

Editorial Reviews of Love in the Time of Cholera

From Publishers Weekly
    In this chronicle of a unique love triangle, the Nobel laureate's trademark "ironic vision and luminous evocation of South America" persist. "It is a fully mature novel in scope and perspective, flawlessly translated, as rich in ideas as in humanity," praised PW . 250,000 first printing.
    Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal
    While delivering a message to her father, Florentino Ariza spots the barely pubescent Fermina Daza and immediately falls in love. What follows is the story of a passion that extends over 50 years, as Fermina is courted solely by letter, decisively rejects her suitor when he first speaks, and then joins the urbane Dr. Juvenal Urbino, much above her station, in a marriage initially loveless but ultimately remarkable in its strength. Florentino remains faithful in his fashion; paralleling the tale...

Anonymous Guest

Default Reccomend

A dictionary that includes recommend.
    Paddy

Anonymous Guest

So, do I get a prize for the first spelling mistake on Caithness.org?

jjc Guest

'Stuipd White Men' by Michael Moore .. good read but it doesn't take long to get from cover to cover.

Also, 'Dreamcatcher' by Stephen King is v. good. It was his first fiction (I think) after he got hit by that van. Also, I never really liked the whole 'gunslinger' set he did and this was a bit of a return to his 'old self'.

I read Stupid White Men, the chapter on the election fix fascinated me. The rest was a bit dull.

Ringlevio - emmett grogan - story of a mans life during the 60s
    You got nothing coming - jake lerner - story of a man in prison in US a good read

How about The AA 2003 road atlas. There is an excellent map of the A9 heading south out of Caithness.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Anonymous Guest

If you have nothing positive to contribute Decon Blue maybe you should take that road - fairly certain you wont be missed.

Anonymous Guest

I like to think of it as the A9 heading north to HOME!

Default good books

I enjoyed Catherine Cookson's series "Tilly Trotter", "Tilly Trotter gets married" etc but I think you have to be a fan of Catherines (like I am). I made it a personal goal to try and read all her books but so far have only managed about 30. Will keep trying though, when I get the time

Mr Sensitive Guest

Quote Originally Posted by deacon blue
    How about The AA 2003 road atlas. There is an excellent map of the A9 heading south out of Caithness.
    ROFL @ that one Deacon Blue. It may not be in the best possible taste but it made me laugh.

Your recomended (Peddy, where are you?) reading is the weekly listing from the Perthshire Solicitors Property Centre. You can even read it on the web. And dinna worry about ee folkies telling ye no til leave. What they say may be true, but you'll never appreciate it until you've left. You can always move back til Caithness if ye dinna like Perth. The atlas works in both directions. If you do feel homesick, go for a pint in the Capital (Perth's Wetherspoons). As Gleeber says, they're all exactly the same. Same folk drinking same drinks and eating same food..

Books now. Just finished "St Johnstone, the Glory Days". It's short & sweet. Next is "Hibernian, the Glory Days". Very slightly longer.

The book I'm reading right so is so boring I canna mind its title,

Anonymous Guest

Try '1st to Die' by James Patterson superb book couldn't put it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast