Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: First fledglings

Default First fledglings

These hooligans have been keeping us amused the last two days, seems like mum and dad have managed to raise four chicks.

Seems like this one was a little more reluctant to fly.

We also have several young sparrows adding to the mayhem.

This young starling was a little reluctant to take the plunge.

It's the only time I like starlings, Lizz, when they're new furballs with black beaks. Too cute!

Alas, I've not see any youngsters in Halkirk yet, although it sounds like the baby jackdaws in the chimney must be ready to go soon - what a racket they're making at feeding time!
    WeeBurd.

The fledglings Ive seen so far are all a bit daft. Awee sparrow in the house, a robin in the shed and the young blackchocks know no fear

Lovely pics, Lizz. I had three finches fledge from a nest on a wreath on my door. I was happy to see them go so I could start using my front door and covered porch again. A few days later another nest was built in the wreath and when I was watering a couple of hanging ferns I found a nest in each of those too and yet another in a silk flower arrangement on a table. Seemingly house finches will colonize and they like a covered area. So here I am waiting for 16 finches to fledge so I can reclaim my porch again.

I have several nest boxes around the yard and so far 9 bluebirds, 6 chickadees and 4 house wrens have fledged from those.